Rownd a Rownd

Oh what lovely inventions there have been since i was young!

1 Like

Just caught up! That did make me snigger!!!

2 Likes

Not really a spoiler (12/10/2017), but
ā€¦just in case ā€¦
ā€¦after Dani, I think Iolo is the biggest spoilt child in the series.

Agreed! I hadnā€™t realised it until this last goings on! I hadnā€™t really taken much interest in him or what he did, but I can see he is adept at getting his own way. I donā€™t even fancy him. I think itā€™s his eyes, they are too big somehow, for a chap! I didnā€™t comment yesterday becauseā€¦
a. my iPad or its internet connection are on the blink
b. nothing grabbed me in the episode!

not really a spoilerā€¦
I thought tonightā€™s episode was somewhere between pantomime and farce (and in the case of Iolo, Cathryn and Vince, almost bedroom farceā€¦). Enjoyable though. :slight_smile:

I hadnā€™t realised how nasty I really am! I have been finding these episodes lacking - and what they lack is real danger, characters at risk of worse than being evicted or told off! I do really want Mr. Ll to get his money and his house and a nice lady, and I didnā€™t want David killed, but I suppose I got used to the vah-vah-voomā€¦neu fa-fa-fwm!!

1 Like

"Dear Private Eye,

I wonder if anyone has noticed the resemblance between John Walter of Radio Cymru (left) and Arthur, of Rownd a Rownd (right). Do you think they could be related? Has anyone ever seen them in the same room? I for one certainly havenā€™t! I think we should be told!

Yours,

Ena B. Stilgar, Porthaethwy, Ynys MĆ“n"

[If youā€™ve ever read the letters pages in ā€œPrivate Eyeā€, youā€™ll know what thatā€™s all about]

Anyway, I was amused that John Walter, in his RC programme on Wednesday, said that his favourite programme (or one of them) was ā€œRownd a Rowndā€! :slight_smile:

Would anyone be as stupid as certain folk in R&R are portrayed as being?

1 Like

Coo, look what I found! ā€œMeicalā€ yn canu:

I was trying to find out where Emyr Gibson came from. Didnā€™t find out but found this instead.

Iā€™d found in a Daily Post article that the actor who plays John comes from Ynys MĆ“n (so we can assume his accent is fairly authentic to the area).

Rhys is from near Bala, and Arthur from near Blaenau Ffestiniog.

ā€¦oh, just found that Emyr Gibson was brought up in Deiniolen, which is apparently not all that far from Ynys MĆ“n (about 7 miles by the shortest route, according to Google maps). So another local accent, I guess we can assume.

Edit: Oh, ā€œDaniā€ is from Felinheli, which is very near Ynys MĆ“n (as the crow flies).

1 Like

When I stayed with my ā€˜Auntieā€™ in Bethel, Deiniolen was not far, but we never had reason to go thereā€¦ I got the idea it was tiny, but I think itā€™s actually quite a big village!

ā€œErinā€ is from Llan Ffestiniog, as I heard in a clip once.

(I think the setup was her and her ā€œtwinā€, to see how much the actors know about each other given that in the film they are twins.)

1 Like

More cast info: Dewi Rhys, who plays Wyn Humphries, was born in England but was adopted as a baby, and brought up in Caernarfon. He apparently made a documentary about it for S4C (which I havenā€™t seen), but there are various articles about it online.

Heā€™s written a book called ā€œHiwmor Y Cofiā€. ā€œCofiā€ is apparently the dialect spoken around Caernarfon.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a snippet of a chap talking about Cofi on this pageā€¦

:relaxed:

1 Like

Whatā€™s up with Owain? Heā€™s getting all surly (not saying thank you to Glenda for making cupcakes for him, for example)ā€¦ and why is he taking the fall for things Robbie put him up to?

Iā€™m terrible. Iā€™ve never taken notice of the younger kids. Maybe Robbie is bullying him? Is Owain the less sporty plump one who gets picked last for teams?

I would have dobbed Robbie in straight away for the cake throwing thing! Perhaps heā€™s not saying anything because he doesnā€™t want to snitch, but is pouting because itā€™s so unfair to take the blame.

1 Like

That was my reading of it - itā€™s simply not done to grass, but itā€™s all sooo unfaiiir!

2 Likes

And itā€™s proper unfair too - Iā€™ve never been entirely clear on the no snitching rule, but Robbie didnā€™t trip over and lob a cake by mistake did he?
Mind you, I think Llio was daft not to look further than Owainā€¦

2 Likes

My thoughts too! No snitching is just wrong sometimes. Works brilliantly for aspiring or actual Mafiosi, but is bad for everyone else!

1 Like

And Llio assumed that Owain had thrown the cake that hit her head, even though she had her back turned and couldnā€™t see. If Owain had been mature and confident enough, he should have asked her (in front of Jim ā€œGymā€), ā€œwhat makes you think it was me who threw that cake?ā€ [ i.e. what evidence do you have]. And there were plenty of witnesses [ who might not want to grass up Robbie, but could verify that Owain didnā€™t do it].

Another question about Robbie (who seems to be turning into a right little soā€¦and-soā€¦):

Who actually are his parents? I used to think it was Lowri and Kelvin, but then I noticed that Robbie calls Kelvin ā€œKelvinā€, not ā€œT/Dadā€. And then I thought Robbie said ā€œDiolch Taidā€ when Ken gave him a fiver (but I suppose it could have been ā€œDiolch Tadā€).

But: if Ken and Kay are his parents, why doesnā€™t he have a name beginning ā€œKā€? (Remember the fuss they made over Lowriā€™s babyā€™s name? Kay was trying to insist it had to start with a ā€œKā€. She didnā€™t get her way (but does she have a middle name starting ā€œKā€, as a compromise?)).

Maybe Robbie isnā€™t anyoneā€™s! (Iā€™d disown himā€¦). A cuckoo in the nestā€¦?

1 Like