L
E
R

A
L
E
R
T

Poor little dog! So clever and not wanted. Bets on Philip ending up smitten?
As for the ‘secret’ telling Erin was sure to lead to widespread and rapid dispersal!
Will someone please lock up Arthur before he kills someone with his ‘cheap’ dangerous rubbish?

2 Likes

Struggling to feel the love with more than one person announcing that they hate dogs! Rude! Who gets so drunk that instead of falling over they buy a dog? Also (and I’ll admit to not knowing him for very long) but Philip strikes me as very unlikely to do either of those things. AND if you can’t fall in love with that particularly fine little dog, there is NO HOPE! Rant over. Well almost…not enough dog emojis to drive my point home - eleven cats, two tigers, a leopard and a lion but only two dogs. And they’re both pugs. Pffft!

4 Likes

My thoughts, too!

And this.

Spot on character assessment, I’d say. :slight_smile:

As you say, who couldn’t fall in love with a dog like that. But I’m thinking that if Philip does keep the dog (as I hope he does … it might humanise him a bit more… :slight_smile: ) I’m thinking that he could make the production team’s job a bit more difficult. Not all dogs are natural actors (although Philip’s dog seemed to be more than capable of stealing a scene or two). Fans of the US sitcom “Frasier” will remember Martin Crane’s dog Eddie, who regularly upstaged Frasier and Niles. But I imagine US sitcoms have big budgets and can afford expert animal trainers. S4C’s budget is a little more modest.

2 Likes

There are a number of Jack Russell type actors who do very well, but I’m not sure how health and safety are with dogs living in/above food shops! The one I’ve seen most is Sykes belonging to the Midsummey Murders detective. Nico Nog on Cyw on S4C is actually made elsewhere and dubbed I believe.
I looked the R&R dog up on the cast list and he’s called Smurf and works for Urban Paws! I hope he enjoys his life and isn’t being exploited!

1 Like

Hopefully dog actors can join Equity…? :wink:

Poor Smurf still having no fun!
But then that seems true of all, even those technically well placed for enjoyment! Please script writers give us a bit of light in the darkness! Somthing encouraging,like Arthur falling under a bus would do!

Philip getting really drunk and applying for Dewi’s old job would make me smile. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Carys’s new hair style has been confusing me a bit!

2 Likes

I knew there was something different about her, but I couldn’t put my finger on what it was! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Poor Smurf! Best character currently, but no name! I do hope a loving owner turns up, having hunted and hunted after the crook who stole him sold him to a drunken idiot! Smurf has a web site. Google Smurf to find it. I still worry that his life may be all work and no play!

2 Likes

Oh dear! Don’t like the change of music!

(but then, I am a bit resistant to change…).

Smurf: Loving (new) owner candidates:

Kylie
Llio
Iris (but Arthur will object)

1 Like

Same here! New music, new intro video (new hair on Carys)…

The drama is the same as ever, though!

I thought Ken said that he was allergic?

I thought that too! I was so sad to hear that, as I had my eyes on Kylie as potential great human for y ci bach! I did wonder about Rhys. Running together…and maybe Erin would be smitten and changed to a whole new, nicer, adult person!

2 Likes

She certainly seems quite fond of him!

By the way, here’s a page about Smurf and his world record:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2016/9/talented-terrier-smurf-enters-guinness-world-records-2017-book-for-performing-mos-443137

It also has a video of him performing his record number of tricks, and a bit of background on him and his owner.

Also, on a different note: I have the feeling that Cathrin will be leaving the show for ever (“to tend to her sick mother”), or at least for quite a while. Now that David is also gone, I wonder whether any new Southerners will come at some point to retain the (dialect) variety!

I found the variety quite helpful, to be exposed to ffaelu (methu), sa i’n gwybod (dw i ddim yn gwybod/dwn i’m), dishgled (panad) and so on.

Llio and Carys are still there, of course, and Jac seems to have southern influences as well, though (at least to my ear) not as strong as the others. (I wonder where he comes from?)

2 Likes

Diolch am Smurf clip! He really is a very clever little chap!

1 Like

Definitely a southerner, although he says he’s learned some NW dialect words.

I noticed that when he sang on one of the Christmas videos, he had a beautiful voice, which ties in with his singing background.

1 Like

Smurf is indeed a clever little guy, but hey Smurf, if it’s all the same to you, I think I’ll make my own tea… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t like the new music, either :frowning2: But that Smurf is awfully cute! Diolch @philipnewton for the link.

I get that feeling, too. As one doing the Southern lessons, I definitely find the Southern characters - David, Cathryn, Llio, Carys and Jac - the easiest to understand.

Rhydyfelin / Pontypridd is pretty far south indeed! I wonder why I had always pegged him as “not so south” as the others.

Thanks for the link! Interesting to read some background on him.

So he’s been following Dani since he’s been 10, eh? :smiley:

1 Like