Rugby

Do you when the Blacks are playing? I definitely have never seen Scotland as my country in any way. I will support them against the old enemy, but in a lot of cases I support their opponents. I guess you had Welsh roots, so were divided even in NZ?

I subscribe to the ABE school of thinkingā€¦anyone but englandā€¦

1 Like

As the country where I grew up, Iā€™ve always supported the All Blacks, but when I was studying in London I shared accommodation with a couple of Welsh students and that was when I first became interested in Wales. We all watched the Five Nations (as it was then) together, and I started supporting Wales. My only possible Welsh blood is a mysterious great-grandfather who some in the family claim was Welsh, but Iā€™ve not found any evidence of that so far.
So I support the All Blacks against everyone and Wales against everyone, but when they play each other I just get excited every time anyone scores a try and I donā€™t really mind who wins, though I think I would be extra pleased if Wales managed to beat them for once.

@petermescall Just a quiet word :slight_smile: - that sentiment has been expressed on the forum occasionally and itā€™s not really encouraged as appropriate here. We have a huge number of English learners who are passionate about supporting the Welsh language and we value those supporters wherever they are.

1 Like

Oh, you and me bothā€¦:wink:

Of course we value anyone who wants to learn welsh.

Its just a little bit of rugby banter. Where i grew up in South Wales, its just a bit of banter, in the,same way that after that fateful rugby cup final in 2003 the Wales on Sundayā€™s headline was ā€œA nation mournsā€ with a free poster to put up in the office declaring a ā€œGloat free zoneā€.

:wink:

Thatā€™s true, but Dee is right that banter can be tricky on a forum - banter relies on you knowing the people youā€™re with - itā€™s between friends - and here, plenty of people you donā€™t know are reading, and itā€™s very, very easy for them to misunderstand. Many of our English learners do not come on here feeling comfortable and relaxed that ā€˜of courseā€™ everyone will welcome them - so we really do need to make that extra, obvious effortā€¦ :slight_smile:

Well i hope our English learners recognise the encouragenent we give all learners on the forumā€¦from all nationalities.

3 Likes

Saw advert in middle of ā€œWyt tiā€™n gemā€ for Cymru v Awstralia on S4C . Not sure of time or date, but at least, I presume, you can watch that live?
Edit @Deborah-SSi found it 2.00 pm next Saturday Bbc1 and S4C

1 Like

Pretty sure I can watch it on S4C ā€¦ which is my preference anyway for the Welsh commentary.

If this carries on - I think suiicide will beckon! Come on boys, wake up! And stop depending on poor Leigh, heā€™s human!
Half time -thanks be we arenā€™t playing the All Blacks, it would be 0 - 100 by now and us lucky to have nil!
Painful - at least we woke up a bit after half time. Letā€™s hope we do better against Argentina.

40 - 29ā€™lreland beat the All Blacks. Just heard! Wow! Maybe theyā€™ll win the 6 nations too!
@Deborah-SSi @pete Pawb!

1 Like

I gave up watching the Wales game. It was too painful, but good on Ireland! What a boost for them!

1 Like

Oh terrible. Welsh ruckā€¦letā€™s look around and waste precious seconds deciding what to do while the opposition rep organise. Aussie ruck, thereā€™s the ball , letā€™s go with our instinct before they reorganise.

Oh dear.

We donā€™t get BT Sport, but Janet has given me a box which she had but never really used, from BT which lets me get all those channels and also a load of others, just not Sky, which I have anyway. So, tonight I will record the highlights of the Ireland/NZ game! And watch it Monday, when I had planned to phone a friendā€¦may have to be Tuesday for that! Sorry, Dee, I suspect I may let forth the odd cheer for Iwerddon, I tend to cheer good play. Somehow, I never seem to see any from a certain team. I do have bad vision!
After Argentina next week, itā€™s Japan and the South Africa. Oh, how I remember watching poor Japan beaten so badly the scoreboard ran out of numbers and we all, every one of us, cheered their last minute score through the roof that hadnā€™t been built over Cardiff Armā€™s Park because we were so sorry for them! (64 - 14) Iā€™m not sure when they got the other pointsā€¦try = 4, conversion = 2, rest??

On the plus side, the Scarlets v Glasgow game was well worth watching, although a little chilly up high in the stand.

Well, seeing as we were only 1 generation Kiwis after centuries of being Irish, Iā€™m not too upset at the Irish win :slight_smile:

1 Like

Recorded US Eagles v Maori All Blacks on my new (2nd hand) BT box. Will watch it later!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi watched the MAB exhibition match! Eaglesā€™wings pretty well clipped! If you can see it - well, do you like walkovers?

@Deborah-SSi Barbarians with about 10 from NZ have four tries, 28points against Fiji tonight so far 20 minutes of game played! On sky sports if you can find it!

Iā€™m from Argentina, this gonna sound weird, but is time for Wales to win!! Anyway, Iā€™m gonna be sad and happy with the result! It always happen this way! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like