Seren yr Wythnos | Star of the Week

I haven’t been around on the forum for a while, sorry about that. But I come back and find that there’s an old school reunion going on!!!

My warmest congratulations and hugs to @louis @robbruce @hewrop @tahl @leiafee and @Sionned !!! Also the biggest thank you to you for being consistently supportive and enthusiastic. Thank you also for being generous with your time and skills and helping make this place so, so much better that in would be without your involvement.

:star: :star2: :champagne: :star2: :star: :star: :star2: :champagne: :star2: :star: :star: :star2: :champagne: :star2: :star: :star: :star2: :champagne: :star2: :star:

3 Likes

@Sionned I am very late to this thread this week, but still wanted to add my own thanks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hardly know all you lovely Seren yr Wythnos, but has been fascinating reading about you all. It is clear you all are great supporters of SSIW and have had a huge influence on its development. I’ve felt a bit shy popping in with a comment, as everyone seems to have personal connections, but as a late-comer to SSiW I realise more and more how much the early pioneers have helped make everything work so well andcontributed to such a supportive, friendly experience. So thank you all :sunflower:

10 Likes

@franhunni. Well said!

2 Likes

Diolch Sionned,
I can remember poring over the maps when I first started. I must go back and look at the three world zones.

3 Likes

Seren yr Wythnos #16

:star: :star2: Sarah-Jane :star2: :star:

Sarah-Jane was one of our earliest learners, and came on Bootcamp in our first year of doing them - and she was an early Angel, and one of our first major success stories - I’ll never forget the surprise of hearing that she had actually got a job with S4C through the medium of Welsh!

Over the years, she’s shifted from being ‘one of our learners’ to being ‘one of our Welsh-speaking friends who we see at the Eisteddfod most years’ - which is probably the ultimate marker of ‘normality’ in terms of becoming one of our Welsh-speaking friends…:wink:

SJ has always been a calm and friendly supportive voice on the forum, and she’s always thrown herself into supporting everything Welsh as much as possible everywhere - she was a long-term loyal Cardiff Meetupper until she high-tailed it to Jodrell Bank, she’s volunteered (more than once, I think, which makes her either unusual or plain mad) at the Eisteddfod.

It’s clearly done her Welsh no harm at all that oh, she just happens to be married to a Welsh speaker (although to be fair, she wasn’t actually married when she started) - the equally lovely Gareth is now on the forum occasionally in his role with the project to build a National Corpus for Welsh…:slight_smile:

Sarah-Jane, thank you for all your loving support for this project and personal friendship over the years… :star: :star2:

Seren yr Wythnos #1

:star: :star2: Iestyn ap Dafydd :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #2

:star: :star2: Catrin Lliar Jones :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #3

:star: :star2: Cat Dafydd :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #4

:star: :star2: Dee McCarney :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #5

:star: :star2: Spenny :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #6

:star: :star2: Jeff Lewis :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #7

:star: :star2: Ifan Baines :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #8

:star: :star2: Kev Smith :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #9

:star: :star2: James Mahoney :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #10

:star: :star2: Louis van Ekert :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #11

:star: :star2: Rob Bruce :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #12

:star: :star2: Huw Jones :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #13

:star: :star2: Diane Owen :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #14

:star: :star2: Leia Fee :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #15

:star: :star2: Sionned :star2: :star:

Seren yr Wythnos #16

:star: :star2: Sarah-Jane :star2: :star:

4 Likes

I’m delighted to be the first to add my thanks for your long and valued contribution to SSiW.
Diolch yn fawr iawn, Sarah-Jane. :star2:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn, SJ

1 Like

It was so lovely to have SJ at our Melbourne Welsh class one evening. She helped me with my Dysgwr y Flwyddyn preparations. She also took one look at my cute little Melbourne boots and said they were not going to cope with the Welsh weather. How right she was! Thanks Sarah Jane!

3 Likes

Oh, no way - I’d forgotten all about that. What a superb intercontinental bit of SSiMagic… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, SJ was definitely one of the early inspirational SSiWers - the ones who showed what could be done with the course by someone with the reason to drive themselves. The job with S4C was a real “wow” moment on the forum, and the work that SJ did in and around Cardiff, to help others as she helped herself, was just the model for what SSiWers are.

Diolch SJ!

2 Likes

Always great to catch up with SJ and Gareth! And I remember how brilliant it was when SJ got that job with S4C, working through the medium of Welsh - though I don’t blame her in the slightest for making the move to Jodrell Bank when I see that her current job involves globetrotting on a regular basis.

4 Likes

Oooh! Jodrell Bank! Fascinating. Does this mean SJ is a star-watching star? :smile:

3 Likes

Well, if you scroll down this page you may just see a star among stars :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh that’s marvellous. Thanks to you @Deborah-SSi and llongyfarchiadau to SJ

2 Likes

SSiW is magic! I bet you never expected to cahnge so many lives or connect far flung communities when you started out.

5 Likes

I second this! I never thought I’d have people staying with us from abroad because I’d decided to learn Welsh.

So diolch i chi i gyd sêr SSiW - all your contributions to this community have had a brilliant and positive impact on lives :slight_smile: :star2: :star: :star2:

4 Likes

Oops! change

I’ve always been very keen on cahnging people, actually… :smiley:

2 Likes

Do you also like to covfefe them? :laughing:

2 Likes