So who wants to be in the SSiW band?

Rob Bruce - I might be able to sort cheap rehearsal space at Menter Brycheiniog a Maesyfed’s new HQ in Theatr Powys, Llandrindod. We’ve got a PA, too. Equally inconvenient for everyone, and not too far from the English border for those coming from over there.
Let me know if you’re interested, folks!

Diolch Rob this is a great offer and one well worth considering once we’ve pinned everyone on a map! :slight_smile:

Gruntius - So I guess we’re ok for guitarists then? I counted 7, most of who can play something else, bass, banjo, ukulele, etc. also.

This is brilliant I think, the more the merrier! I’m assuming that not everyone will be able to make every practice so great to have lots!

Gruntius - I’m not sure where would be easiest for a gethering en masse for a practice, Rob has made a suggestion, there’s also a place in Wrecsam that I’ve used quite a bit in the past that charges £1 per person, per hour and has all instruments and amps available to borrow including a pa.

This is also a great suggestion, especially seeing as they have instruments! We’ll have a vote once we’ve gathered enough interest.

Gruntius - I have only two albums in Welsh, Meinir Gwylim, bought after her performance in Gadlas om bootcamp earlier this year, and Elin Fflur - Caneuon, which is chock full of power ballady type songs. Does anything on either of them tickle your fancy Catrin?

Geraint, seriously, I’m happy to give anything a go - whatever everybody else fancies? I want this to be something that everyone involved enjoys and gets a kick out of - you’ve got to love the music you’re playing right?

I like all Meinir’s stuff and am very familiar with it and have been for years so probably know a lot of them like the back of my hand. I like a lot of stuff from the 100 o Ganeuon Pop, love Flur Dafydd, Lleuwen, Gwyneth Glyn, Steve Eaves, Cerys Mathews and so, so, so much more - non female singer stuff also. But I’ll give anything a go!

But I guess I’m not a big fan of the big Elin Flur type ballads… :wink:

Being on the west coast of the US is a bit of a snag… but sounds like a blast. If I do manage to be at the next party, …somehow…, I sing and play all manner of drums and percussive instruments, and most importantly, am up for jumping in with scant practice and having fun with it…

Anyone volunteering to provide vocals?

Yeah, Catrin. :wink:

http://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

Don’t know how useful this would be.

Do you need a backing singer too? It’s the only kind of band singing I’ve ever done, but I loved it (and I’m quite good with harmonies). I don’t know where I’m going to be for a lot of this year, but I hope it’ll be somewhere in Wales!

Mungy - http://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

Don’t know how useful this would be.

Thanks for this link! I’ll have a proper look this evening! :slight_smile:

Sara Peacock - Do you need a backing singer too? It’s the only kind of band singing I’ve ever done, but I loved it (and I’m quite good with harmonies). I don’t know where I’m going to be for a lot of this year, but I hope it’ll be somewhere in Wales!

Yes, yes, yes, yes!!! Please do come and do this with me!! Though I LOVE singing and dud some band stuff in college, I’m not the most confident of people without the aid of wine so we can do this together! YAY! :slight_smile:

Hello - sorry to butt-in!

I’m a violinist and my boyfriend’s a 'cellist (he’s just graduated with a masters from music college (B’ham Conservatoire), and hopefully I will next year…), so if you’ve a need for strings we might be able to help! :smiley:

1 Like

I play the cello and sing if that’s any help

Brilliant all of you thank you!

Once this (crazy) week is over, I’m going to give time to choosing some songs and then looking towards practice sessions - watch this space!

I won’t be looking at having any practice sessions during the summer by the way as we have a lot going on at home, but hopefully come Autumn we’ll be ready to roll! :slight_smile:

Had a crack at the bass line for Y Gân Go Iawn and it’s working OK. Thing is, we need a brass section :slight_smile:

I haven’t heard that song yet Andy but I can pretty much guarantee that we don’t need a brass section. Obviously we do if you want to recreate the song as it is on the original but I’ve seen bands cover all types of songs really well with only bass, guitar and drums. I’m sure it will sound good with a forgiving ear. :wink:

I play the clarinet but I live in Mold, Flintshire. How oftern would the practices be? Where would they be?

I haven’t heard that song yet Andy but I can pretty much guarantee that we don’t need a brass section.

Agreed, I might have been joking about brass section :slight_smile:

I’ve started singing with a shanty group recently and would love to think I had a chance to be a backing singer.
The only instrument I play, as you already know, is the buffoon… But I do have a couple of low whistles and a flageolet and can learn stuff, even at my age…

I’m interested in how this develops. I have collected quite a few traditional Welsh tunes and would like to see what tunes you choose. Then I’ll see what I can do with them on a concertina!

I’m up for contributing something to a south/east Wales splinter group. Or could manage west Wales with a bit of notice. Guitarist/singer in need of some practice.

Wow! Love all these enthusiastic responses!

I’m starting to think along the same lines as Matt above. Maybe we should go for two bands, ond based in and around North and East Wales, reaching out to mid Wales and over the border to the North West of England, then another based in South Wales reaching out to West Wales and over the border to the West Midlands and the South West of England.

What does everyone else think and more importantly does anyone else fancy getting to grips with coordinating a South Wales band?

Andy clarified: Agreed, I might have been joking about brass section :slight_smile:

Then I might have overreacted … as usual. :rolleyes: