Somethings missing

I don’t know what’s happened with my lessons, but up until week 6 everything was going well for me, but then after redoing week 1, which was much easier, I feel that something has changed with the way the lessons have been done, I feel like I have missed an important part of a lesson out somewhere and no matter how much I try I can get back to the way of learning that I had at the beginning.
I’m getting increasingly frustrated because I can’t move on however much I try. I know everyone hits a wall at times, but I need to find out what I’ve missed.
What should I do?

Hi @pat-7! You said you’re having trouble at week 6, does that mean you’ve reached challenges 12 & 13? If so, take a deep breath because you have hit the same “wall” most of us have hit when we reached that point. You’ve done really well to get that far, so I hope you’re giving yourself credit for that! :slight_smile:

There are a handful of lessons at the middle of Level 1 that are very difficult for most people - 13 was especially hard for me, and there are many posts here in the forum on the subject in fact… When I reached that point, I too came to the forum and I found that I was not alone. The challenges really do get harder there for a bit, then after 14 it seems to get a bit easier again.

Remember, you don’t have to be perfect or get everything out in the gaps provided - the target is to get something out every time, even if it is incorrect. Mistakes are valuable learning opportunities. The vocabulary is all repeated in later lessons, so it will show up again and again, and the things that are driving you crazy now will probably just click along the way and be replaced by new challenges to overcome.

Something that really helps me when I get tired or frustrated is to listen to music in Welsh, or find a podcast to listen to, such as Pigeon, which is geared towards learners, or I watch a kids’ TV show like Deian a Loli (which I adore) to take the pressure off and relax with my Welsh for a while before continuing to the next challenge later on or on another day.

I hope this helps, and maybe others will come along with something to add. Pob lwc a dal ati! Good luck and keep at it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got stuck several times. Stuff that helps me: 1) review the written vocabulary in the notes. If a word is not in the notes you can try to look it up or ask here. 2) Find out about new words or grammar that might have sneaked in - sometimes we are just to learn a new usage or grammar & memorize it but if I can find out about something my brain is resisting, because there’s something new, that helps. It’s hard to do in early times because every word in the grammar book is incomprehensible! But some grammar nerds are here. 3) Practice with a fresh brain. 4) slow down the playback. 5) rewind (or pause) & replay each sticky exercise at speed until you can recite before Cait. March through the lesson this way. Then try bombing through. 6) even if you feel stuck, if you’ve listened several times move on to the next & come back. I’ve grouped 2-3 lessons together 16-17-18 were the latest - because I got sick of one or the other before I was ready to hit 19. HOPE THIS HELPS & tell us if you found a way that works for you.

1 Like