South, North or both? SSiW

Bore da pawb,

I think that we pick our course based on where we are geographically and I may be wrong but would guess the majority outside of Wales would do the North course as it’s (wait for it) 'proper Welsh" :wink:

Has anyone tried and successfully completed both? I’ve recently revisited lefel 1 and have now completed challenge 25 in both dialects. I think this extends your range and gives you a better chance of understanding speakers from differing areas.

There are also some bits of the south course that I have substituted a bit of the north course, for example;

I need - the south course teaches ‘Ma eisiau i fi’. I have never been able to take to this. When I was in school we used eisiau for want. Whilst my wife is unable to tell the difference between need and want I am. I use dw i angen.

About (as in an approximate point in time) - the south course teaches am biti mis (about a month). I’ve always been unsure about this as it sounds made up (I know It isn’t). so for this I use ‘am tua mis’ I feel it flows better.

And lastly;

A cuppa - the south course teaches ‘disgled o de’ (this is what they say on Pobol Y Cwm also) and the north ‘panad o de’ for ‘a cup of tea’. I have always as far as I can remover bought and drank ‘Paned Cymreig’ Welsh Brew Tea. As this is something thats familiar I tend to use paned/panad.

I’m not saying you should double your work load by trying to do both, it’ll do you in but for me there have been benefits to having a small understanding of both dialects and has made me feel more natural and confident (as @aran will tell you I suffer with confidence issues :rofl:)

How you feel is important, if you feel good about your Welsh you’ll continually improve even if its just a word/sentence/structure/tense at a time.

Stick with it until we’re a million.

1 Like

Sori, I’m not sure why I selected this category…

Oh well, congratulations for completing both! :clap:

I think there is a conversation on this topic somewhere on the forum that might be interesting for you to read - I’ll edit in this post as soon as I find it.

I did the Southern course because I discovered Welsh through a band from Aberteifi and I love that accent!

I do agree on the fact it’s good to practice and understand both, but I find doing the northern Challenges very confusing.
I prefer to practice Northern accent by listening to the Advanced material, watching S4C and listening to the radio.

However I also feel free to use expressions I find easier or like best from other areas - like actually many Welsh native speakers do. I find angen easier than “ma eisiau i” myself - cause I don’t have to turn the whole sentence around and remember the mutation! :wink:
Or I just like the sound of mwynhau better than joio.
So I just use them!

p.s. I think you can change the category if you click on the pencil right next to the topic title

1 Like

I haven’t completed both levels just challenge 25 but have done the entire level in the south dialect.

Re mwynhau; again was taught this at school and hadn’t heard of joio until starting the course.

I tend to switch between the two but joio is shorter and easier and I’m all about the short sentences :blush:

When I’m telling someone to enjoy themselves however I tend to use mwynha/mwynhewch dy hun

It’s all very exciting

1 Like

And I’ve changed the topic diolch i ti

2 Likes

Hi Neil. I completed both dialect courses - and also the old courses, but only because at the time, I was waiting for the new course to be completed.

It has given me a slightly mixed Welsh, but I don’t think any different to someone who has learnt through classroom or residential courses. Also, the evening classes that I attended before SSiW started were a sort of combined dialect approach.

The other side is that I can understand various regional dialects, and even have a go myself on the rare occasion that I’m (apparently) not making sense to someone. The same as in English, really.

However, if I was starting now, I’d probably just go straight through with one dialect and then onto the Advance Content and Slack speaking practice to widen my understanding.