Speaking practice (Level1)

I have completed the first 20 challenges at level 1. I believe that I have done quite well so far and I am looking forward to completing the last 5 challenges. However, I have done very little speaking practice. Can anyone help or offer advice?

Have you joined the WSP (Welsh Speaking Practice) group on Slack? You can have one-to-one or group chats there and there are learners and speakers from all over the world to chat to.
If you haven’t yet joined, you’ll need an invitation - just ask admin@saysomethingin.com for one.

Covid has affected a lot of actual meet-ups, but it’s worth seeing if there are any groups local to you who are managing to do socially distanced meets or zoom alternatives.

And the biggest bit of advice - just go for it! Everyone has nerves about speaking to others to start with but the only way to get over those nerves is to take a deep breath and jump in. Don’t worry about mistakes, don’t worry about running out of things to say - these are things your brain comes up with because it’s out of its comfort zone. Call its bluff and say whatever you can - remember, you don’t have to do an hour’s worth straight off! If you start every conversation in Welsh (shwmae/bore da/pnawn da/noswaith dda/ etc) it’s much easier to re-programme your brain into knowing that this is actually within its comfort zone! :wink:

1 Like

Thank you Siaron. Will the chats involve soundcloud? Are they video chats?

No, they don’t involve soundcloud. They can be video chats or just audio ones.

Thanks

1 Like

Is Slack free to use? Will my subscription to SSiW cover me to use Slack?

Slack is free. :slight_smile:

Diolch

Siaron - I have just realised that I do have a Slack account (User Name etc). Do I still have to be invited to the WSP?

I think so, but I’m not really that techy! I’d check if WSP (Welsh Speaking Practice) is listed among your workspaces, and if it isn’t, I guess you’d need the invite.

Thanks Siaron. I have now requested an ivite to the WSP group on Slack

1 Like

Hi David

I am in the same boat. Challenge 17 for me but I still haven’t managed to do much speaking practice either. I’m a scardey cat! So you are definitely not alone in being a bit behind the speaking curve!

I’m happy to chat online with you if you’d like

hi Dave. So sorry I have JUST seen your reply.

That would be great.

Please let me know some options when it would be convenient for you.

Thank you

Diane

Hi Diane - Late afternoons on a Tuesday, Thursday or Friday are best