SSi - official statement regarding Covid-19/Coronavirus

Our supermarkets have run out of pasta. Can you send us Red Cross parcels? :smile:
Too soon? :worried:
I’ve taken to making our own 2 families’ pasta and will continue till my stock of 00 / durum flour runs out then I shall turn to Spaetzle (an eggy Baden-Wuerttemberger substitute)

Seriously - thinking about you and your compatriots and the rest of the global community. :heart:

4 Likes

Thanks Gisella, I’ve been following your updates on social media (Nic Dafis has been sharing them). As a consequence, and in combination with reading what the experts were saying early on, my mum (90 with underlying health problems) has been self-isolating for 10 days already.

Everyone in her retirement flats thought she was completely bonkers, and I’m sure some of them still don’t understand the situation.

I’m going to ‘visit’ her today to pass some shopping (if I can get some) through the window - fortunately she lives on the ground floor :joy:

Thanks again Gisella, you’re a lifesaver!

5 Likes

I’m currently not in work I have a feeling this will not last long people are being recruited for supermarkets and answering calls for nhs. My grandad is not going to the supermarkets but he is going for walks. One of the people in my mums church social group said there is no point for them as they are dying anyway with Liver disease I think they have two weeks left. How are you meant to self isolate if you need carers though?

3 Likes

Thanks. :heart:
I’m going to answer some more in the food thread!

Glad it helped, @helenlindsay.
If shopping gets heavier, you can always go the Napoelitan way! :wink:
panaro

There was panic and empty pasta shelves from time to time here too. Then people saw there was no lack of food at all and went back to buying in a reasonable way (meaning enough not to go out too often, but not…more than a restaurant monthly stock!)

@nat-3
Many people might find it hard to understand the situation - well hard to imagine such a thing, to be honest!
Other people might not bother changing their habits - for various and more or less valid reasons.
But what can you do?
I think the important thing is to have as many people as possible taking this seriously and acting according to guidelines.

Guidelines for carers are same as nurses and for people living with people currently quarantined at home ( = those tested positive, but showing only mild or no symptoms and people who have been in close contact with people who later tested as positive).
I don’t know where to find a full list in English, but I can look for it if you can’t find one.

Take all precautions if you find a job in a supermarket and even more in nhs!

3 Likes

Supermarkets are at the hell stage now they have started to restrict items. I’m doing online gym classes from home and taking courses I’m trying my best to stay away from people I live with my mum though. We definitely need to test healthcare workers and supermarket workers and carers. I am taking it seriously but then I saw the effect normal flu had on my dad with a weak immune system not pleasant at all and the winter vomiting bug. I miss swimming but it won’t be forever. Thank you I will take precautions but the nhs one is in a call centre to help with symptoms prob safer than the supermarket.

3 Likes

The shop I work in is open and they don’t seem to care about the staff in head office but what’s new? I’m wondering if I should walk to work rather than catch a bus. Yesterday I decided not to visit my family, we are all continuing with work but we’re not going to see each other. This was upsetting especially with mothers day and birthdays next month but rather be safe. I’m worried that with schools closing my shop will be busy as people are still shopping. I’ll feel better when it’s all closed. Trying to carry on with normal activities like dysgu cymraeg during this crazy time and all this learning and online chats will definitely help me. Stay safe all

3 Likes

So sorry they’re still open and not looking after you properly - I hope we’re going to see more government leadership and financial support for workers who need to stay home but can’t work remotely…

Yeah, it’s a tough old time. Hang on in there. And I hope very much that the forum and the whole dysgu Cymraeg thing will be a valuable distraction :heart:

8 Likes

Diolch. I’m determined to carry on.

6 Likes

If you can… I would do so.
Individual choices…can still make a difference - no matter when the Government or employers decides to go for stricter measures.
Hopefully people will not crowd in the shop - but you also might try and push for a bit of safety measures (like having less people allowed in at the same time).

Also avoiding visits to relatives (and of course friends) is a very good idea.
Of course, helping one another with shopping, but without going in the house and keeping at a distance as much as possible.
It is weird in the beginning…but I guess it’s worth it.
Take care!

5 Likes

Thanks. I can only go by the shop policy they have no restrictions sore subject at the moment. Shops not closed. Sore subject.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately it’s still an issue here in many work places - and despite what’s going on since quite a while now!
(not many shops now, because they all had to close except for food and basic necessities- related ones). But hopefully more and more people will behave responsibly, and/or stricter measures will be taken.

2 Likes

My shop is now closed.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: In here for all the fluffy stuff, the laughs, the light relief :heart:

To help health researchers understand how Covid-19 is spreading in the community and work to deal with it as best they can, a free app has been developed asking people to report daily on their health.

1 Like

Thanks, Aran. Stay safe, all.

1 Like

Glad to hear that, and hope that you’re going to get the support you need.

If anyone would like the oppoetunity to increase your vocabulary in relation to all things Covid-19 there are two UK Government documents available on line in Welsh:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/873986/Guidance_on_social_distancing_for_everyone_in_the_UK_and_protecting_older_people_and_vulnerable_adults_CY.pdf
and
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874001/Stay_at_home_guidance_for_households_with_possible_coronavirus__COVID-19__CY.pdf

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Clwb Clecs Furnace, Llanelli

Sorry to butt in quicky. hi @gisella-albertini Thinking of you all. There’s been some pretty harrowing news items, and yet you all seem to be using it to guide us over here.

2 Likes

Thanks a million for your kind words, Aran! :sparkles::rose::sunflower: I don’t share the lockdown experience, as I’ve been going to work as usual. I’m thankful that I’m not parked at home, but that I can do something to help. :broom::dash:

Take good care and stay well and healthy :two_hearts:

1 Like