SSIW and bad days at work

diolch yn fawr iawn, Catrin and Aran!!!

I had a bad day at work yesterday!!! Well, my colleagues are not exactly what one would call “enthusiastic” about work.
So usually I end up doing my work and their’s on top.

Sometimes it is easier to bare that and sometimes a little more difficult.
Yesterday was one of these difficult days.

At home I decided to make a nice cup of coffee and continue with the course.

And fate or destiny wanted me to end up with Course 2 Lesson 8.
And by the end of the course you had me laughing again and cursing my co-workers in Welsh.

The examples were just too fitting for my bad work-day.

lke “you should work hard and not ask me.”

So, diolch yn fawr iawn, you really made my day yesterday.

Sibila

12 Likes

That sounds absolutely ideal… :sunny: :star: :star2:

It’s not impossible that some of my experiences working for local government might have found their way into some of those practice sentences…:wink:

6 Likes

Something tells me that you, @sibilazachrau are too kind for your own good and are taken advantage of!!
Something tells me we are all very lucky that you, @aran did not spend your days in Local Government in a state of unalloyed joy!! This gave you the incentive to do something else and we are the beneficiaries!
mmm thinks… what might Sibila end up doing???

2 Likes

FYI, for future reference, the word for “to swear” is “tyngu”

2 Likes

Perhaps you could have a little word with those chaps in Wrecsam…

1 Like

That’s ‘swear’ as in ‘to swear that you’ll do something’ - to swear as in to use bad language is ‘rhegi’… :sunny:

1 Like

I guess you are right. It is very difficult for me to say no. And unfortunately, I am a very good example for another phrase that we keep repeating in course 2: i shouldn’t love him…but it is easier to tell myself that in many different languages than actually do it. But well, I keep liking my old dog from course 1.
We tend to give nicknames to everybody in the village. Newcomers would often know a person only by his or her nickname, not the real given name. And the man I like is far older than me and is known as the poodle because of his curly hair. Or as the old dog from course one. So, I actually miss the cats and dogs in course 2. But I have hopes for the second half!!!

1 Like

@aran: [just edited for family friendliness! Aran :sunny: ]. I thought about this for about five seconds after posting…since I’d heard the word used the way you described.

Ah well. New words for me!

1 Like

Interesting…does that word I used (starts with ‘c’, ends with ‘p’) have a harsher meaning in the UK than it does in the US?

I think it possibly does - I would say it’s as strong a word as its homonym that begins with ‘s’.

1 Like

Yikes!

I sincerely apologize…in the US, that word (starts with ‘c’, ends with ‘p’) is used as a very mild version of the one that starts with ‘s’ and ends with ‘t’…

3 Likes

Sorry, but No. It may a bit milder than the ‘s’ word but, it is still very crass.

1 Like

Many apologies…I’d learned to say it as a milder form of the s-word, more akin to saying “rats”*

*which I am really hoping is not offensive…if it is feel free to edit.

2 Likes

You’re OK there - just don’t discuss your backside using the f***y word :wink:

2 Likes

I understand. Not trying to be harsh. I know it’s very commonly used and we can get desensitized to it. I just don’t want our global friends to think of it as a safe word.

1 Like

At a similar stage, I was introduced to “anobeithio llwyr” (I think) last week - also perfectly timed and possibly the most practical addition so far!

1 Like

Amusingly, the word for “dirt” in Norwegian/Danish is spelled like our “s-word”, but with “k” in the second position. However, that “sk” sound in Norwegian is pronounced like “sh” in English…you can join the dots. :slight_smile:

As well as its literal meaning, I think it is used as a mild expletive.

However, according to my TYS book this is a perfectly safe word to use in conversation - you could say it to your grandmother, and she wouldn’t bat an eyelid. :slight_smile:

I believe both it and its homonym have to wait until after 9pm for television programs, but not necessarily for films. Both words automatically give a PG rating to a film, but the one you used is still (I believe) a little milder.

I certainly am used to the s…t word being milder than the c…p word!! But an tnternational Forum must be a minefield for such things!
I had a friend whose parents managed to get out of central Europe just before a certain Hitler started warfare all over the place. They spoke heavily accented but very good English, but had never been taught about swear words. I think I mentioned this before, because my poor friend ended up with the sort of language which meant I never did dare to let him meet my mother!!
On the Forum, the only really safe thing is not to swear!

This… :sunny:

[Having got it wrong from time to time myself… :blush: ]