SSiWer includes Welsh song in her new album

Karen (@impishwriter), one of our newer SSiWers, has been creating music for 20 years and recently released a music album and she has included a track in Welsh. The album is called Eurdy and is available on bandcamp here: https://hannerchant.bandcamp.com/

Her facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/hannerchant

and Twitter is: https://twitter.com/HannerChant

You can also hear Karen on a podcast from Pure West Radio - starting at 14:19 minutes in - where she not only performs but gives a great plug to SSiW in the interview (around 30 minutes in)

The second half of her interview can be heard here from about 8 minutes in.

5 Likes

Diolch a galon @Deborah-SSi and the rest of the SSIW crew for giving me the opportunity to learn Welsh… it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a very long time and I can’t tell you how much it means to me that your course exists. To approach learning languages as a game really works for me - and I love Aran’s funny little comments throughout each lesson, which have made me laugh aloud quite a few times!

I thoroughly enjoyed singing yn Gymraeg…, but I want to do the course proud, so I really hope that I did a good enough job with my Welsh not to have caused you too much embarrassment or damage the course’s reputation - as I only realised afterwards that I had mixed north and south Welsh words… :roll_eyes: (I am learning South Welsh because I live here but, as it happens, my great-grandparents were from Snowdonia… while my grandmother was from the Valleys in the Southernest bit of Wales). This has got me to thinking lots about regional dialects, and I realised that my native English dialect is a mix - of West Country (Bristol) and Oop North (Manchester) with a dipyn of Pembrokeshire… so hopefully it’s ok?

I look forward to making enough mistakes to be able to write a whole album in Welsh some day! :slight_smile: :notes:

6 Likes

So there are @Iestyn’s funny comments you enjoy, not @aran’s … I’ve got into 7th lesson of North course recently and there are not many little funny things from Aran until now. Maybe, the more one progresses into the northern thingy the more funny (little comments wise) it becomes. :slight_smile: But I enjoy other qualities of Aran’s aproach though. :slight_smile:

Listen to my rap and I bet there are more mixy wixy things (north-south) than there will ever be in any of your song. I love the song and most I love the sound of your voice and interpretation of it. Something special. So dal ati! to the new - totally in Cymraeg - album. I’m with you.

Oh, and, by the way … thanks for following me on BandCamp although I appear just as the music fan there and not the performer.

1 Like

Thanks @tatjana - you’re very kind! I really appreciate your support :slight_smile: I’ll check out your Welsh rap… where can I find it?

Apologies @Iestyn - apparently you’re the voice of the South Welsh course that I have to thank for injecting some humour into the proceedings! :pray:t2: :grin:

2 Likes

This topic is about your music so I’ll rather post the link to the thread and post where it was published so all discussion about it (among all the rest post-party things) goes there. Post party Chat (including Tatjana appreciation)

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

This post isn’t just about Karen’s music - it is also now about the sense of humour, or lack of, in the North Welsh version. Beth??? Even though Rob Brydon apparently comes from Glamorgan, (which doesn’t help my argument), Aran so reminds me of Rob Brydon. And, in my opinion, you can’t get much funnier than him! The very way Aran says so encouragingly “Excellent” is very Uncle Bryn-ish (Gavin and Stacey). I won’t have a word said against Aran’s lack of funny comments…

1 Like

:rofl: I shall now see Rob Brydon whenever I talk to Aran :rofl:

2 Likes

Ane here’s a new success for @impishwriter.

Well, it’s not Welsh song presented though but anyway. I love the song which is a bit unusual to my ear though.

Da iawn ti!

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch @tatjana! You’re very kind. I’m thrilled to bits :grin::notes: Sadly my Welsh tune didn’t get any airplay… though Huw Stephens did listen to it!!!

2 Likes

So, it needs some promotion. :slight_smile: