Tatjana - progress reports

(HAHA! I believe he knows that. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

:star: :star2: :sunny: :fireworks:

I know itā€™s not it anybodys particular interest, but Iā€™ll post this anyway.

Iā€™ve just finished the next set of 7 lessons of Level 2 and so here is some statistics ā€¦

• C8 = 34 %
  • C9 = 32 %
  • C10 = 25 %
  • C11 = 34 %
  • C12 = 52 %
  • C13 = 43 % and
  • C14 = 36 %

Overall impression C8-C14 = 37 % and overall Level 2 impression is 33 %.

However this isnā€™t partucilarly shown during Skype sessions as I found myself in a silence of the members of the chat group when I finished talking what is pure sign to me that people actually had to think very hard to understand what I wanted to say as they couldnā€™t quite understand me though. So a long way still to go and a lot of work still has to be done ā€¦

Today Iā€™ve also started going though the whole material again, this time no percentage mesuring. Iā€™m happy with the beginning as Iā€™ve said everything before Iestyn and Cat and the lesson was made 100 % correct.

Ja, ja ā€¦ someting is wrong, isnā€™t it? :slight_smile: Well, it was 1st Lesson of Course 1 anyway and I believe this one I should repeat with high rate even if Iā€™d be awaken in the middle of the night.

And, no, itā€™s not complaining itā€™s just doing some (not too interesting though) report wiht the facts.

Waiting to the next set of lessons to come out. Will make them as they come and see what happens next.

1 Like

Which might have been because you made mistakes, or it might have been because you used words/structures correctly that they didnā€™t understand - so it would be pointless trying to assess your Welsh on those grounds.

Meanwhile, I can tell you that your Welsh is understandable - and you know in your heart that those 50% or near marks for 12 and 13 in Level 2 is a huge, huge achievement, and a sign that you are continuing to progress successfully towards genuine conversational fluencyā€¦ :sunny:

2 Likes

Well, I know this is it. Many times after Iā€™ve told something I canā€™t understand even myself and I often ask ā€œDid you understand me at all what I wanted to say.ā€ But then, of course it comes the time to clear things again more carefully, slowly and with some other words which come on my mind. Yah, many times I mix structures also and say the first what I should the last etc, etc. Iā€™m aware of my mistakes itā€™s just that silly moment ā€œfirst act then thinkā€ instead of opposite way. :slight_smile:

Bydda iā€™n wella! Dwiā€™n swr. :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr iawn. Iā€™m doing my best ā€¦

No, you donā€™t, Tatjana - other learners are allowed to be uncertain too, you know! When I speak to a group of learners, there will often be ā€˜er, not sure we understood thatā€™ pauses - itā€™s entirely normal. Some of the pauses you get will be because you werenā€™t clear, but some will be because your fellow learners didnā€™t understand something that would have been clear to a fluent speakerā€¦ :sunny:

1 Like

:blush: :smiley:

1 Like

I couldnā€™t agree more. My speaking partner is a native speaker, so you really canā€™t get more fluent or correct than that, and sometimes after he speaks to me I just stare at him because I simply donā€™t know the words he is saying, and Iā€™m afraid to be annoying if I start asking to translate every single word.

1 Like

Yup and it goes oposite way too - thatā€™s what I thought. I sometimes speak so confusing that at the end my thoughts are ā€œUmmm ā€¦ what did I say at all?ā€

But, again, what weā€™re talking here about is not coming from my frustration but simple fact. Iā€™ll get along with that if others can bear my mixy wixy thingy said quite often ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Iā€™m happy and I donā€™t complain, just say.

And, yes, @stella, just to let you know that you were highly missed by all on group Skype chat last time we did it. So I hope I hear you soon again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t find what you say confusing at all, I understand you very well almost every single time you say something. Maybe someone doesnā€™t understand you because of the God-De differences, maybe they are not familiar with the words youā€™re using yet, itā€™s not all about how well you speak.

Thank you:) I made up for missing our group chat by having a three-hour Welsh-Russian conversation yesterday, it was lots of fun and at the end speaking English seemed very strange to meā€¦

1 Like

As ever the SSiW advice of ā€˜donā€™t worry about itā€™. We are all learners, so are not quite up to fully understanding at spoken speed, actually it is useful if someone says roughly the same thing several times as then I am more likely to able to pick up an understanding of what you are saying. Quite often I was thinking of how to reply in Welsh, itā€™s challenging as you are thinkign both about the language and the conversation, so we are doing two things at the same time. When anyone speaks for an extended period of time, there is a tendency to think about part of what someone said and then miss the next thing they say. The thing is we do understand you, but our own understanding isnā€™t perfect.

What I am finding with the Skype sessions and listening to the radio is ā€˜not to worryā€™ about understanding every word and phrase, but listen to the gist and gain some understanding of the whole sentence. for example I was listening to an interview with a musician on the radio, I would hear the word ā€˜einā€™ or ā€˜niā€™ and instead of concentrating on how they use the structure instead to just go 'oh they are talking about ā€˜weā€™ as in the band and allow myself to pick up the gist of what they were saying, such as where the music was recorded.

1 Like

And then comes the music ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Yesterday, writing on Skype to @Y_Ddraig_Las I all of a sudden relized I totally forgot to use negative structures. Itā€™s for quite some time like they wouldnā€™t exist at all. I mean ā€¦ just look at those sentences! Theyā€™re horrible.

Mae fe ddim yn dod wnaeth fo sgwynny ar y fforwm. ā€¦ ā€¦ Mae fe ddim yn dod wnaeth fo sgwynny ar y fforwm.

I wonder if poor ā€œDraigā€ understood at all what I wanted to say ā€¦ :slight_smile:

And I recall this is happening for quite a long time. I can say everythign when doing lesson but when I talk or write, it all vanishes away like it would never exist.

They may have not been perfect, but I understood what you meant, which is the main thing!

1 Like

Yeah, just one slight catch here to stop you beating yourself up, Tatjana - which is that LOTS of first language speakers use very casual negatives exactly like thatā€¦ :sunny:

Oh, thank you @aran! Releiving thing. Well I donā€™t beat myself but Iā€™ve just realized what Iā€™m actuall ydoing, probably as it sounds more neutral to me (apart from forgetting negatives almost entirely when I speak in conversations).

More then frustrating I actually found this finding interesting though and actually posted it to get some feedback if maybe some more people tend to do so.

:smiley: :sunny:

1 Like

Iā€™ve re-done Lesson 9 of course 1 today and just realized how hard it was for me doing it for the 1st and 2nd time to switch from ā€œhiā€ and ā€œfeā€ to ā€œciā€ or ā€œcathā€ when there was needed to say ā€œMaeā€™r hen ci ddim yn moyn cysguā€¦ā€ or similar sentences. Now, they just flow out of my mouth like totally normal thing.

Yah, how times change and knowledge is just here one day ā€¦ :star:

6 Likes

:sunny:

:star: :star2:

Just a bit of update on my (yah) progress (not much of it but OK) and a question ā€¦

With my re-doing the lessons Iā€™ve come to Lesson 15 of old course. Yup, Iā€™m doing it easy way now. Iā€™ve discovered that I still have kind of (tinny) problem with saying possessives as in ā€œMaeā€™r llaeth gyda hen gaeth.ā€ My brains just seam to have slight problem with switching from ā€œpersonā€ to be on the first place to the thing they possess. As long as hereā€™s ā€œfeā€ or ā€œhiā€ itā€™s quite natural and OK, but when talking about particular being, like ā€œcaethā€, ā€œciā€ and similar having (possessing) something I have to put more effort to go with that. ā€œllaethā€ seams obviously to be less important then ā€œcaethā€. - hehe :slight_smile:

But besides that I caught myself trying to put sentnce in the present tense in pasive rather then active form (not taking into considderation we didnā€™t learn pasives at all) and since the Cymraeg word to add is missing trying to force german one into the sentence (for who knows what reason), hereā€™s one more issue rising up.

I use ā€œMaeā€™n rhaid i fiā€ quite many times but I many times am tryint to use it when using past tense, never being sure if this is possible at all. Then I say sentence in present tense despite it should be in the past according to what I want to tell.

Is there any way to put the ā€œMaeā€™n rhaid i fiā€ form into the past at all or my atempts are totalyl wrong? (Yah, inventing, inventing ā€¦ )

[size=11]I know, I know ā€¦ I said I wonā€™t discuss grammar anymore, but this one I just need to know.[/size]

Thank you.

My gess ā€œoedd rhaid i miā€

Cheers J.P.

1 Like