The man who.. +past tense

Challenge 16 mentions ‘an old man who told me’, and i didnt recognise the ‘who + past tense’? hen ddyn na?ma? dwaid urthai? Hope someone can explain the difference of this between changing the person (dwi/onin; ti/oedd)?

Also, there’s no mention of written Welsh - what’s the best way to pick this up? (struggling to keep up tbh).

Best
Roel

Hi Roel,

(just a first quick answer to start with and to be be able to be more precise)
Are you doing Southern or Northern course?
Did you check the vocabulary lists of each challenge? There’s vocabulary and a few full sentences written down. So you read some of the things you might not be able to catch just hearing them - especially around these challenges you’re doing now (13-16) that are pretty hard for most of us!

As for written Welsh, since I didn’t particularly need it and I find it way more complicated than speaking, I’ve basically completely ignored it since I started SSIW (July 2018). Until a few weeks ago, when I’ve joined the Clwb Cardiau Post! :smiley:

From my experience with other languages and from what I’ve heard from polyglots around the web who talk about how to efficiently learn languages, I think the best way is to start reading more, take note of useful expressions, and have a purpose to learn this skills.
Too early for me to say how well it’s working, but just an idea, since you’ve asked.

I’m sure other people in this forum have had a lot of different ways to learn and more suggestions for you.

Pob lwc!

1 Like

HI Gisella,
Thanks for sharign your thoughts. I believe the female is Northern and the male voice is Southern, right?
I find the first more grammatically clear, but i gravitate towards the shorter second.

How did you find the course during weeks 16 and say 30?

I did note the vocabulary - i suppose here and there i would like a few grammatical pointers - but perhaps that is still to come. Tbh i don’t do the recording tasks in Soundcloud. But after 16 lessons, i now think i might see about having more rudimentary chats with Welsh people. i had one last week and on the one hand, making long sentences really impresses native speakers, but then i cant say basic ‘hello how are you, i’m fine’ stuff.

Best wishes
Roel

The Northern and Southern are two different paths (that are often identical in content).
The female and male voices you hear in a challenge give slightly different variants but both Northern or both Southern (male voice in Southern usually gives a more compact version.)

I’m doing the South version and browsed Challenge 16 and this is what I’ve heard:

An old man who told me that he wants to watch that film today
Hen ddyn wnaeth dweud wrtha’i fod e’n moyn gwylio’r ffilm na heddiw

I don’t really know weeks, just challange numbers cause I didn’t do a structured course, though!

When I have curiosities about grammar, I do a quick search or ask here in the Forum, usually in this thread Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread
There’s always someone ready to help!

As for basic thing, what I’ve noticed is that you can easily find them all over the web.
And since you’ll be hearing them or reading them really often, on TV or speaking to people that you meet or if you join the online Welsh Speaking Practice group I’ve never felt a need for specific lessons.
(but I’m “burnt” by the experience of learning English at school when we spent months and months just on greetings I never want this to happen again) :scream:

2 Likes