The SSi Growth Club

Diolch o galon Catrin ac Aran!

That was absolutely lovely and has cheered me up a treat after a rubbish day.

I remember going for a walk to see the stars one night at bootcamp and seeing so many stars. This has taken me right back there.

One day I’ll see the northern lights too!

2 Likes

Almost certainly before Catrin, judging by current progress…

2 Likes

Whilst using the android app, I’ve noticed that the GC content isn’t available when using the Southern course. If this is the issue, it can be rectified by temporarily switching to the Northern version whilst listening to the GC content.

Hopefully this is of some help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, it is @dannywithington. This is exactly how it is. It’s probably set as such because of logical thinking of @aran and @CatrinLliarJones are speaking gog. This is what appeared to me saying to myself “Yes, of course! They speak gog so here is the content!” not that I actually thought Aran wanted the content to be “assigned” to any side of SSiW though. :slight_smile:

(sorry my confusing writing … I’m still in “HAPUS IAWN” mood and it’s Friday early morning (2 am) already! and can’t even type properly. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Oh, wow, thanks @dannywithington! It hadn’t even occurred to me that some people might be accessing Growth Club content using the apps. And there I was scratching my head trying to figure out why @jenny_white_378 was getting this message on her phone only. But of course, if someone is a Growth Club subscriber and they’re logged in on the app, I guess there’s no reason why it shouldn’t show it… however, the apps don’t have support for pan-region content yet (i.e. mp3s that are available for both north and south). I’m afraid switching is what you’ll have to do until we can work out a way round this - I’ll get speaking to the apps people :smile:

2 Likes

How to download Growth club content to computer

Pob lwc.

2 Likes

Diolch pawb!
(Esp tatjana - I think you should have a permanent role with SSI gemerally supporting/IT etc etc :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Thank you. I help when and where I can and I’m happy with this if everyone is happy with this too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@aran: belated thanks for making the original sound files (and then the PDFs) available.

I’m finding them really useful, so thanks to you and Catrin. For now, I am trying to resist looking at the transcripts, but it’s really comforting to know they are there. My aim is to actually try to produce my own transcripts as a listening exercise, and then see how laughably wrong I was. :slight_smile:

If you are still taking suggestions as to how long to leave them up, I’d say a minimum of a month (or say 5 weeks), and maybe it doesn’t need to be any more than 3 months? (However, I hope you will archive them somewhere nice and safe, and think about re-offering them (perhaps for a price) at some point in the future for those who missed the chance first time around. Would be a shame for such good material to be wasted).

And while I am basking in the luxury of hearing two northern voices whom I am very used to, I am feeling a bit sorry for southern learners who might find the northern voices a little more difficult. I know Cat and Iestyn are (probably) very busy recording lessons, but is there any chance that they will eventually be able to join the conversation party? A 4-way north & south conversation would be interesting and challenging. :slight_smile:

In terms of difficulty, I’m finding them slightly less difficult than the average Radio Cymru broadcast (perhaps it’s the relatively short length that makes them less intimidating than a 30 minute or 1 hour broadcast), but still challenging enough! (which is what we need).

So diolch unwaith eto.

3 Likes

If @aran won’t (what I doubt though) I surely will. My storage is big enough to store a lot of things. I’ll pull them out only when I know I ought to of course … However I don’t have transcripts as I didn’t sign for more then 10 GBP (yet) though.

Ah, no. I believe when you listen to oposite version of language some more time it becomes really comfortable also …

… however I like your idea very much in deed. It would be really interesting and challenging for learner’s ears. :slight_smile:

Arghgggh…

As I publish 4 new challenges for the first time ever, I realise that - er - we forgot to do the Catrin/Aran chat for the Growth Club last week! The Growth Club that is making all this possible! Huge embarrassment.

We’ll do two this week, starting with when Catrin gets home from helping shepherd 5 cousins into one cinema…:wink:

9 Likes

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS ON THAT BREAKTHROUGH.

I can’t wait to start listening to them - Yippee!!!

Justin

2 Likes

In return for publishing 4 new challenges (I can’t tell you how much it means to me that I never quite get to the end of new material) here’s a challenge for more advanced SSIWers. Could some of you volunteer to team up with a native Welsh speaker, face-to-face or through Skype, and record some short chats for us? That would take a bit of pressure off Catrin and Aran, if they could ‘bank’ them for weeks when life gets too much. And I would love to hear someone speaking who has actually learned through SSiW. I might understand a bit more of it, and it would give me a standard to aim for (Aran’s level being beyond my wildest dreams).

7 Likes

Au contraire: it’s where we’re going to help you reach… :sunny:

1 Like

I’m happy to join the £10 plan. I love the SSIW approach. I have also dabbled in Chinese and am hoping that you will include it in your languages. How about you all come to Australia for a boot camp or meet up! Lots of sun and surf, especially in Brisbane where I am. I’ve got a spare room.

6 Likes

I only noticed this thread today… I wonder how I missed it for so long? I was surprised it wasn’t pinned or something. I don’t engage with the forum that much but tend to read the weekly email and look in from time to time. Has this had a plug in the email yet?

I’ve signed up for the £10 option and am looking forward to listening on the way home!

4 Likes

Yes it has been in the e-mail and I suggested earlier it should be periode in which it would be “re-published” in email so no one misses it. It was in the mail from 18th August and 13th October (just checked out for you a minute ago). :slight_smile:

There are strange happenings about pinning. It seams to me as if it wouldn’t work. However I believe no one from stuff had specific desire to pin this topic either (or I’m wrong?) All in all, topics are not pinned as they were before and should be now. But I presume there are more important things on plate to be done then re-pinning topics though.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Lynne and netmouse! :star: :star2:

We’re now up to £610 a month from Growth Club, and that is why you’re seeing the new acceleration in publication schedules - which will, in the not too distant future, turn into a bunch of new languages as well - you’re making a huge, huge difference.

Yes, definitely aiming to get there - probably next year :sunny:

We’ve talked about this plenty of times - very keen to make it happen at some point - probably when the boy child is a little older, though!

I quite like the idea of seeing if we could get the whole way round the world doing bootcamps/meetups in different places, but whenever I mention it to Catrin she rolls her eyes and looks long-suffering…:wink:

3 Likes

I hope you can have a bootcamp in Russia one day:) There are lots of people interested in Celtic languages here, too. Just a week ago I was on a job interview in a language school and the manager, when she found out that I’m learning Welsh, gave me a bilingual booklet from a university in Cardiff:) Very pleasant surprise, considering that it’s a really small town with maybe 60 thousand people and only one language school!

4 Likes

Now that would be truly fantastic… :sunny:

[I’ll need SSiRussian first, though…;-)]

3 Likes