The SSiW Welsh Book Club 📖 📚 👓

I loved all three….

1 Like

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Second hand books up for sale / giveaway here! :books:

Hello! I was reading through some of the previous posts to learn more about good recommendations for entry-level learners. I’m a very new learner, just starting Level 1 Challenge 11 - and am learning Northern Welsh as my Dad is from this region. I wanted to ask:

• Does written Welsh vary depending on the North/Welsh region you’re learning?
  • In addition to the two suggestions noted above, are there additional recommendations for a new learner?
  • I’m based in Canada so if you know of any online bookshops you could recommend, I’d appreciate that - I’m not sure I could find much printed Welsh literature here!

Diolch!

Hi Jade

Welcome!

I would start with the Cyfres Amdani, level Mynediad. They’re books specifically designed for learners.

You might also like the magazine Lingo Newydd, which you can also read via an app. It’s for learners and has content in three levels, so as you progress you can go back and read the more complex versions of articles.

Re bookshops, I love cantamil.com and Palas Print. Both are very helpful and will talk to you in English or Welsh. You can of course also buy from Amazon, but I prefer to support independent Welsh bookshops as they contribute to the economy and therefore sustain the language financially, where Amazon often removes Welsh language book reviews for “breaching content guidelines”!

To your question about written Welsh, yes it does vary. Written Welsh varies a lot more than you will be used to from standardised majority languages like English, Spanish or German. Aside from the differences you learn early on, fiction often represents spoken norms when presenting dialogue or internal narrative, and non-fiction often uses literary forms that are only used in writing.

However if you stick with content for beginners you’ll be fine as it’s deliberately graded to keep it accessible, and by the time you run out of that you’ll be able to cope with the variation. My tip is to say the words in your head. 1) that forces you to absorb instead of translating and 2) saying the words helps you see through variant spellings to words you recognise. Also, saying the words helps you appreciate the use of language.

Have fun pob lwc!

3 Likes

Hi Caroline,

Oh brilliant - thank you so much for the recommendations and additional information!
Regarding the online bookstores, absolutely, I will definitely check out these smaller retailers rather than amazon; that’s ridiculous that they often remove Welsh language books! :expressionless:

That’s so interesting about the written form varying like that, particularly for the dialogue as you said. I’m looking forward to the day I start to notice these variances, but for now will definitely stick to the beginner level as you suggested.

Thanks very much again for your time and help,

Best,
Jade

Chance to "Meet the Welsh Author" over Zoom

Have you ever found this as a recorded book? Would love to listen if I can find a recording.

Personally, I don’t know. It’s only available as paperback or Kindle versions on Amazon and, seeing as I’ve never bought a spoken word book, wouldn’t know the best place to look otherwise. Sorry.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Second hand books up for sale / giveaway here! :books:

I’ve moved all the posts about Books To Give Away over into the Second hand books up for sale / giveaway here! :books: thread, to keep this one for discussing particular books and reviewing them for others.

If you’ve got books to offer, or you’re interested in the books available for free, please pop over to that other thread @dannywithington @ciara-2 @DiMatthews @Allanapiago

2 Likes

Fully aware I’m replying to a three-year-old post here, but I remember reading this in English in primary school but could never remember the book title. I did however remember the little rhyme involving their surname, the name Francetti stuck with me ever since! Never expected it to come up on a Welsh forum.

I’ve not seen Agor y Drws up here so far, although there’s a lot of posts to go through. Six short humorous stories written by a different author, each one (with the exception of one story) working up to a punchline. Recommended in mid-Mynediad, so very accessible. Mererid Hopwood’s contribution, Annwyl Sion, had me in bits halfway through. Laughter is great, feels even better to chwerthin :smile:

Can also recommend Gorau Glas, by Lois Arnold (who is quickly becoming a fave of mine). Again it’s very short and early learner-friendly but has a cracking sense of humour.

3 Likes

Y Plygain Olaf by Myfanwy Alexander.

I finished this book while on holiday, not too far from the area where the story is set.
Daf Dafis and his family attend a Plygain service where the local farming families all sing their own traditional carols. Afterwards they move to the community centre for much-needed refreshment. Daf is talking to Illtyd Ashley, a well-known collector of folk songs and customs, when a cup of tea arrives for Illtyd, but not for Daf. Daf is annoyed - until Illtyd collapses. He has been poisoned and later dies in hospital. With a temporary rank of Chief Inspector, Daf is put in charge of the case. Unfortunately a large number of people have cause to hate Illtyd. There are his current wife, his first wife, various lovers, a daughter, a son and people who have been cheated by Illtyd. As usual, Daf is distracted from his investigation by a range of crises involving his family, neighbours and colleagues.
This is the third book in the series, following “A Oes Heddwch” and “Pwnc Llosg”. I think that it is best to read them in order because there is a large cast of characters, some of whom appear in the earlier books.
“A Oes Heddwch” has been translated by the author as “Bloody Eisteddfod”, and “Pwnc Llosg” as “Burning Issue”. “Burning Issue” has a list of characters, indicating their complicated relationships. Very helpful. I expect that a translation will appear for “Y Plygain Olaf” but for the moment you are on your own. I look forward to starting the fourth book, “Mynd fel Bom”.
These are mainstream detective stories, not aimed particularly at learners, but I think that they are accessible at Uwch level, and they are certainly entertaining.
I have read the first two both in Welsh and English, and I was fascinated by some subtle differences. I suppose that an author translating her own work can feel free to add explanations and alter passages that might lose their effect in a literal translation.
Sue

3 Likes

Diolch everyone for keeping this fabulous thread going! :slight_smile:

If you’re new to the forum, this thread is an invaluable place for book recommendations for those of you ready to venture in to staring to read some Welsh.

If you’re unsure of where to start, look for contributions by @gruntius he’s a very avid reader and I don’t think there are many books for learners in Welsh which he hasn’t read. Use the search function in the top right hand side to look for posts by him. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. I have followed his recommendations many times. Thank you @gruntius.

1 Like

Yes, a thanks from me too @gruntius. I’m currently using Goodreads - great to keep track of what I’ve read and what I’ve liked, but many books are review-free (and those that do have them don’t always go into the suitability for learners) so your contributions are a really big help.

I’ve got DeltaNet to start next. I’ve not found any verdicts at all on this one - although Andras Millward (RIP) wrote for Warhammer 40K, prompting me to excitedly run to my Games Workshop-mad partner. I’m looking forward to it though mainly because it’s a techy novel written in 1999 :smiley:

15701085.SY475

1 Like

I read a lot - everything from Bunyan to Pratchett in English. I have also “tackled” classics like “Rhys Lewis” and “Traed mewn Cyffion” through to books aimed at Welsh learners but they all remain hard work for me.

I often turn to Science Fiction or Steam Punk for a bit of escapism in English. Does anyone know of any novels in Welsh in these genres? A translation from English would do. If not, would someone write one please? :grinning:

“Igam Ogam” by Ifan Morgan Jones is supposed to be somewhat like Pratchett. I did start it, but haven’t got very far with it to be honest. “Seren Wen ar Gefndir Gwyn” by Robin Llewellyn is also SF, though again I haven’t read it yet. Not SF, but the novels I’ve personally found most readable are the murder mysteries by Myfanwy Alexander. The first of those is “A Oes Heddwas?” set in the national Eisteddfod. There are now 4 or 5, but I recommend reading in order because there are lots of recurring characters.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, Margaret. I shall certainly give these a go.
Update:I’ve just ordered “Seren Wyn ar Gefndir Wyn” from Y Lolfa.
Diolch eto

1 Like

Babbel by Ifan Morgan Jones is a steam punk style novel. It’s written in antiquated-style Welsh though, to match the era. I’ve started but not finished it.

As mentioned by Margaret, I thought Igam Ogam fell into the comical fantasy genre. That was a lot quicker to get into than Babbel.

Dadeni by the same author is also fantasy but rather more political. However I did love protagonist Jonny Teifi, and quite liked most of the gods.

Many thanks. I’ll certainly add Babbel to my list. I’m intrigued to see how Steam Punk translates.