The SSiW Welsh Book Club 📖 📚 👓

Last week’s coach holiday included two hours in Caernarfon so I made the most of my time. I bought 5 books in Palas Print where the lovely lady let me speak Welsh, helped me choose suitable books and taught me the word for “contactless”. I then visited charity shops and bought 6 additional books. Reviews may eventually appear here.
Sue

3 Likes

“Ar Agor Fel Arfer” was adapted by Huw Llwyd Rowlands from the original “Frying As Usual” by Joan Lingard.

“Dowch yma’r funud 'ma” bloeddiodd Rosita. “Mae Dad wedi syrthio o’r to.”

The Francetti fish and chip shop is already struggling against new competition. Dad is rushed to hospital with a broken leg and Mum is in Italy for a month. Can the three children and their grandfather keep the shop open?

This is a straightforward and entertaining story for young teens. The three children have very different characters and contribute in their own ways. Even without using a dictionary, I found it a fairly easy read. There were words that I didn’t know, but I could guess them from the context. There seem to be copies available second-hand. Mine was a bargain for £1 in a charity shop.
Sue

2 Likes

I have read the book with Vincent via skype. The book was very funny but I think even though it is aimed at first language young teenagers I would think because some of the language is very colloquial in the dialogs and some of the words are more phonetically spelt and not how it is spelt in the Dictionary that an advanced beginner would struggle and I would put it probably at canoradd (intermediate ) but I struggled a bit with the book and I enjoyed it.

1 Like

sorry I thought I had logged in as Richardglaves and not as Vincent

A couple of years ago I recorded the whole of ‘Harri Potter a’r maen yr athronydd’. - one sound file per page. If you re interested I could send you a couple of them. You would need the book though.

Just occurred to me that I have found it very useful to read stuff out loud - it means you don t have to worry about vocab/correctness etc. And it starts building muscle memory in your jaw AND it helps words stick.

4 Likes

Yes indeed. Though perhaps not on the bus.
Sue

2 Likes

Doesn t matter if you are a believer or not (I m not) but many of us can remember fragments of bible stories which makes it easier to understand this - http://www.beibl.net/. The most modern complete version available on-line with downloadable audio files for each chapter - the guy reads really well

1 Like

Not sure if it has been mentioned here already (if so, apologies.)
I’m currently reading parallel.cymru’s 2018 annual using the Kindle App on my phone. The Welsh articles are in the first half of the book, with the English translations in the second, and the articles are written for a wide range of reading abilities.
And the best part… IT’S FREE! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been to Wales a couple of times since I started learning, and as trawling charity shops is a favourite activity I’ve started making a beeline for the children’s book corner! I think my favourite find so far is Pwd Pwdin. The illustrations make it easy enough to work out what’s going on, and I was most amused by Pws’s attempt at five-a-side football.

pws%20pwdin

(only just noticed I seem to have found an image in English! I promise I have it in Welsh!

Looking for an image to upload, I’ve been delighted to find that there are a couple more Pws Pwdin books, which I will make the effort to buy!

1 Like

very punny!! :clap::clap::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Spoiler alert!! :astonished:

I have just received E-ffrindiau by Lois Arnold in the post, so lets see what that’s all about then.
Apparently good for beginner level.

1 Like

It’s nearly a year since @gruntius recommended these books. They were too daunting for me at the time but now, after about 2 years of learning, I have finished reading both and enjoyed them very much. Sometimes I used a dictionary. Sometimes I was too impatient and pressed on without, but I got the general idea even if I missed some of the detail.

I am part way through and I agree that this is a very good read. I am looking up quite a lot of words, but finding that they are words that I have met and forgotten rather than completely new words.

At the moment I have 5 books on the “started but not yet finished” pile. There are 17 on the “plan to read some day” pile.
Sue

4 Likes

image image

Tacsi i’r Tywyllwch and Tacsi i Hunllef, both by Gareth F. Williams, are thrillers in the Stori Sydyn series. I found the language fairly straightforward. The chapters are short, which helped me to keep track of where I was. There is plenty of action. The books are a bit violent for my taste, but I finished the first one quite quickly and I am part way through the second.

Ffion and Ruth run a taxi service for women. A rival company is trying to put them out of business by making false calls to take them to remote places. One such false call takes Ffion to a derelict industrial estate where she has an alarming encounter.

Gareth F. Williams is also the author of Dyfi Jynction - Y Dyn Blin and Dyfi Jynction - Y Ddynes Yn Yr Haul. I have both of these in the pile marked “Too difficult at the moment.” Has anyone read them? If so, what do you think?

Sue

2 Likes

I really enjoyed these ‘tacsi …’ books too but the first one isn’t available to buy now so I had to borrow it from the library.

1 Like

P’nawn da!

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I’m interested in finding some recommendations for good, readable books on Welsh history (in English, since I don’t think my Welsh is going to be at that level for a while :slight_smile: ). Anyway, I’m particularly interested in the Medieval kingdoms, especially in the north (Gwynedd, Powys). Good historical fiction would be welcome, too.

Diolch yn fawr!

2 Likes

The Mabinogion? Not sure if this counts as good historical fiction, I think it is more Myths and Legends, but it is a good read.

Thanks for the suggestion. I recently read the edition edited by Sioned Davies, and it was excellent.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I have a load of books I’ve read and I’m not going to read again. They’re all suitable for learners, some specifically for learners, others for teenagers etc. I would really like the idea that they go to a good home and someone else gets some usage out of them. I’ll share the titles here. I’ve got photos of the covers but I don’t want to completely fill this bit with photos, so if you’d like to see them, I’d be happy to share.

The books are as follows:

Coed Y Brenin gan Colin Jones - entry level with vocabulary list

Y GĹľr o Phoenix gan Bob Eynon - speghetti western in Welsh. Also has vocab
Perygl yn Sbaen gan Bob Eynon - bit of murder she wrote kind of story. Vocab
Y Bradwr gan Bob Eynon - Second World War behind enemy lines/resistance thriller. Vocab
Bedd Y Dyn Gwyn gan Bob Eynon - 19th century Indiana Jones esque story. Vocab

Blodwen Jones series gan Bethan Gwanas - this is a bit of a Bridget Jones story about a learner in North Wales and her life written as a diary. It’s very funny and has a good vocab list in each one. I have the first, second and third in the series.

Pwy sy’n cofio Siôn? Gan Mair Evans - it says in the back this is suitable for a learner who has been learning for a year or two (I have no idea what that really means because it’ll be based on the Cymraeg i Oedolion cwrs). Story about an ambitious radio journalist at a local radio station looking for her big break story.

Un Noson Dywyll gan T Llew Jones - historical drama about a baby that gets left with a Porthmon (gate keeper) - these tollbooths are quite a significant feature of West Wales’ history (including the Beca Riots). Very good book written in West Walian dialect. T Llew Jones is quite an iconic author around Ceredigion, Sir Gâr and Sir Benfro. Written for first language children, Upper end primary school I’d guess?

T Llew Jones - Y Ffordd Peryglus and Ymysg Lladron - two stories that follow the life of Twm Siôn Cati but not the Twm Siôn Cati of the 16th Century (bit of a Robin Hood character) this is a different Twm Siôn Cati of the 18th century. Based in and around Tregaron (so interesting if you’re going to the Eisteddfod next year). There’s a third in the series called Dial o’r Diwedd, which I don’t have. It’s an adventure story of a poor stable hand called Twm escaping his cruel Lord of the Manor (sort of). They’re good fun. Not easy Welsh but will help your vocab!

Last one!

Al gan Manon Steffan Ros - a great book from one of my favourite authors. This is a story, written in a North Walian dialect, about the teenage years and the difficulties. It’s a short story but really well written.

If you’re interested in any of them please let me know. All I’ll ask for is postage and packaging is covered :slight_smile:

2 Likes