Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch Siaron, I should trust what our welsh teacher says but he didn’t give much detail so its good to have it confirmed

I need to get a better grammar book! I’ll have a look for that one.

2 Likes

It’s full title is Modern Welsh, A Comprehensive Grammar. One of the Routledge Grammar series. Gareth’s done others too, but that’s my ‘go-to’ one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The other two are called “Basic Welsh” and “Intermediate Welsh”. All three deal with the grammar aspects of Welsh, focusing mainly on how it is actually spoken but giving lots of information on formal/literary usages as well. The two books I mentioned are self-study books divided into easily digestible units for learning and exercises, while the one Siaron mentioned is more of a “grammar dictionary” where you can look up specific constructions. It goes much deeper than the other two.

4 Likes

Thanks Hendrik,
I’ve got a fairly basic grammar book (Gramadeg Cymreag Cyfoes). It’s useful but i don’t find it very well set out so it’s difficult to find specific things in it. I’ve just now this very minute found a very brief reference to the ‘ir’ ending and others as well - ‘id’ and ‘wyd’ so there’s a bit of help in there but taken time to find it.

I plan to visit the book shop with your references in mind. Thanks for the pointers.

1 Like

It’s the most (newly acquired) thumbed book in our home of late

@garethrking

2 Likes

Sorry…I wasn’t trawling up 6000 posts to ask… Is it OK to use dod o hyd i as ‘find’ and in what sense?
@garethrking @RichardBuck @robbruce
Diolch i bawb!

Using dod o hyd i is perfectly fine for the sense of “to discover, to obtain, to come across”.
But in the sense of “I find it hard” (for example) you use Dw i’n cael hi’n anodd instead.

3 Likes

Danke. Das is eist! That’s it, diolch!

Is what my Cymraes said, but I had a different intention which you have captured. :+1:

And does darganfod feel like it has a slightly different range of meaning, or is just a bit more formal (cf. Eng ‘discover’ vs. ‘find out’)?

1 Like

Range of meaning… I agree.

1 Like

Often, context is everything…
Sometimes dwi’n cael hi’n anodd to get an answer straight in my head and so in order i dod o hyd i better explanation I turn to Gareth’s book to darganfod the correct forms.
:wink:

10 Likes

Yes - find means a number of things in English - if it can be replaced by come across, then dod o hyd i is the right choice. A body was/has been found… is always Daethpwyd o hyd i gorff… in the media.
Des i o hyd i’r rhain yn eich sied chi - I found these in your shed.
Lle daethoch chi o hyd iddyn nhw? - Where did you find them?

Endless fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As part of my SSIW “homework”, I’ve been listening to Radio BBC Cymru. This morning they were talking about SSIW, I think?! Possibly related to the million speakers project, politics and Europe.

Sadly my Welsh is at an early stage so I’d be grateful if someone who heard it could clarify!

1 Like

See https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/what-are-the-problems-what-needs-to-happen-differently/8733/197

2 Likes

I wonder what I’m missing, because I can’t understand what it means in either language! :sweat_smile:
I hear something like:
Mae’n syniad da i adael i fi anadlu - It’s a good idea to leave at a breathe

note: it’s in Level 3 South, Challenge 23, around min 21:11

Mae’n syniad da i adael i fi anadlu - It’s a good idea to let me breathe (lit. to leave me to breathe) :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, thanks!
Now I know what it means, I think the one in the challenge might actually be:
Mae’n syniad da i adael iddi anadlu - It’s a good idea to leave her to breathe

Recognizing f and dd is still often tricky for me. And like this, also the English translation seems to match and make sense (unlike what I was hearing!).

However this also reminds me of a question I’ve had in mind for a while:
Are fel hynny and fel ma both translations for like this?
First more abstract, and second about some object in front of me, for example?
I’m sure I’ve heard the first from first language speaker, not too sure about the second.

no, “fel hynny” = “like that”. “fel hyn” = “like this”.
Otherwise, yes, the fel hyn is more abstract and the fel ma is more “like this here”

3 Likes

Awww…even though I’ve been asking here, and taking notes and following every single thread about this and that (including the one active right now, called Use of 'that' in Welsh )…I’m still confused. Someday…! :grinning:

4 Likes

Fi hefyd/me too. Obviously the thread is partly tongue in cheek. Showing the many meanings of "That’ in English.

Perhaps the main thing is to understand the Welsh. One way might be to look up the Welsh word in a dictionary giving a choice of English synonyms. Or perhaps just this once use Google Translate straight into Italian :thinking:

1 Like