Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I suspect with all of those including “Dancing Feet” the movie and various academies named after it, you might be looking for the meaning : Feet that are dancing. I’m not totally sure but I think it might be Troed sy’n dawnsio. Falling leaves: Dail sy’n cympo
etc.

2 Likes

Thanks, John!

1 Like

In Challenge 20 of Level 2, we are taught “ rwtsh” for the word “rubbish”. I used this word in a text to a Welsh born (first language Welsh) work colleague and she had no idea what I was talking about and said she has never in her life heard this word. We both live in Carmarthenshire. Just wondering about this, because I don’t want to be using a word that nobody locally would understand!

My colleague said “ I’ve never heard that word. We would say rybish, sbwriel or ysbwriel. I even looked in my Welsh dictionary and it does not give rwtsh at all :thinking: in my Collins Welsh dictionary is gwastraff, but to me gwastraff means waste, as in wasting food etc”

Any thoughts?

It’s all about context here - rwtsh is only ‘rubbish’ in the sense of ‘nonsense’, not a direct translation of ‘rubbish’, so no, your colleague would not use this word for ‘rubbish’ in it’s non-figurative sense and would indeed say rybish, sbwriel or ysbwriel. rwtsh is more equivalent to “lol” or “sothach” - she may use one of those as a preference to rwtsh, but rwtsh is just as valid. If it’s not used locally to you though, no problem - find out what people around you use and use that instead.

2 Likes

Learning Welsh through English makes me thinking English first when I can’t remember the Welsh form.

I often find myself wondering how to say things like:

It’s (difficult/easy/nice…) to (do/speak/watch/learn…)

And I tend to get stuck almost every time wondering if I should use “i” for the verb, or something else or nothing?

But now I wonder if the verb-noun thing can be handy, and it’ easier than it seems, like:

Mae (gwneud/siarad/gwylio/dysgu) yn (anodd/hawdd/braf)?

Or does it sound odd?

1 Like

Regarding the question on i before verbs (or not), the forum members to help you are @siaronjames and @garethrking
Hopefully the following link and sub-link should pick up their earlier advice to us. I would start at the bottom of the linked topic to save time. There might be a more recent topic. happy reading :smiley:
When to use and when not to use 'i ' as a preposition before a verbnoun - Welsh / General / Questions - SSi Forum (saysomethingin.com)

2 Likes

Yes :rofl:

Actually I think you can say “Mae’n annodd dweud…” Its hard to say
or I’m guessing perhaps even
“Mae 'r dysgu yn annodd”/The learning is difficult, although I’ve never heard anyone say it (yet). :slight_smile: That last one is a guess, mind.

1 Like

I would like to ask Gwilym Bowen Rhys for the lyrics to a song he sang “Dafydd Ifan” at a gig he did a week ago? It’s in reply to a clip of it so would like to say “this song”. Would this be right please?
Oes gynnoch chi’r geiriau i’r gan hwn os gwelwch yn dda?

The dictionary (GPC) says that “cân” can be feminine or masculine but, based on what I think I hear most often, my instinct would be to go for feminine in which case it would be “i’r gân hon”. If you did decide it should be masculine it would be “i’r cân hwn” i.e. no mutation after the definite article. It would also be valid to say “i’r gân yma”, but you can’t avoid the gender completely as you still need to decide on the mutation.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m not great with grammar and gender. Generally just go masculine/whatever sounds right and hope for the best :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

He replied, yey :smiley: Thanks again for your help.

3 Likes

Great! So either what you said was right, GBRh isn’t enough of a stickler to refuse to answer people who make grammatical mistakes when emailing him, or both :grinning:.

1 Like

I don’t know him - even though he seems a nice guy from what I see in the Welsh comprehensible input YouTube videos (did you see them?). But I can tell for sure that this is certainly true for most Welsh speakers!

4 Likes

He’s a really decent bloke. Very easy to talk to and really funny. Also well known and respected outside Wales.

2 Likes

A couple of years ago Nant Gwrtheyrn had arranged forGBRh to be tutor of a Uwch 2 Welsh language course using talking about music as the focus for practising Welsh and which I was really looking forward to. Unfortunately, in the end, not enough people had registered on the course for them to be able to run it :sob:

4 Likes

That was a shame. I bet that would have been good.

1 Like

That would be great! I would register to a course like that even though I’m not Uwch 2 level, and I would not register to any standard language courses, and even despite the Gog accent. :grin:

I’m pretty sure that if they did it online now they’d get enough participants…someone should suggest them to try again!
And have Pat Morgan as special guest once :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I haven’t seen the videos, but he always comes across as affable on the radio so I would also have been very surprised if he wasn’t like that in real life. It’s good to have it confirmed by John.

2 Likes

… and he also makes clogs! :slightly_smiling_face: https://www.gllm.ac.uk/news/2147488512/ (there was an article about him doing this in Golwg a while back)

1 Like

now that is cool!!

Here is his YouTube learn Welsh Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNtU6lkGwuoNHJB_FMZjK5w

2 Likes