Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Absorption by Russia of other states. Kind of like the Anglo-Norman acquisition of most of southern Britain. Usually about as welcome. It is a coined word. Have Welsh historians coined a Welsh version or do they just use Russification? I don’t know. We need someone with current contacts in Welsh academia. @garethrking I don’t think you are a historian, but can you help at all with this? Or know anyone who can?

1 Like

You’d be okay with ‘Mae cymdeithasau yn anelu at wella’r gymdeithas’ - although you might in that kind of context go for ‘at wella’r gymdeithas ehangach’ just to make the point…

Rysifficeiddio, maybe - people who’d understand Russification would understand that - maybe Rwsego in the way we say Seisnigo, but that’s a neologism, so unlikely to be understood at the first time of trying… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have enough difficulty with my welsh, please don’t make english difficult too. :wink:

Diolch yn fawr iawn Aran a Sonia!

3 Likes

Just curious here - would that translate (in English) to something like “to better society at large”?

You could opt for that - like much translation, it’s a matter of personal feel - literally, of course, it’s ‘the wider society’, but your English suggestion feels a bit more like the sense of the Welsh to me…:slight_smile:

1 Like

would “sefydliadau cysylltiadol” work?

In terms of being understood in the same kind of way that ‘associations’ is in English, not really - it would sound a bit more like partnership organisations, I’d say… cymdeithasau is very much the word that would be used in this kind of context for Welsh, so anyone who wanted to avoid the double use of cymdeithas would probably want to focus on the second usage… ‘y gymuned ehangach’ would work, too…

1 Like

Or Rwsegeiddio, maybe? Like Seisnigeiddio, which is current and understood everywhere.

Or Rwseiddio?

3 Likes

Diolch! :sunny:

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I’m trying to take the plunge with Frindiaith and it won’t let me send any messages.When I click on ‘Send a private message’ I get a ‘We’re sorry, but something went wrong. If you are the application owner check the logs for more information’ error message. I thought it might be an iOS glitch, but it’s happening on my iPad and the laptop.

Help?

2 Likes

Oh, ugh, sorry - that sounds as though we’ve broken something!

@kinetic - can you double-check and let @Isata know the state of play?.. :slight_smile:

Hi @Isata - I’ve just done some digging and eventually found that you had an old message in your inbox which somehow didn’t have a sender specified. I’ve removed that old message and I’m hoping that it’ll be okay now - could you check please? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ha! By the sound of it, it was me that broke something. Thanks, @Kinetic!

2 Likes

Cwestiwn yn glou dwi’n gobeithio… Pan ddefnyddio’r “sydd” neu “sy’n” (sy’n nabod, sy’n darllen, sy’n cysgu)… shwd bydd yn dweud “who doesn’t/isn’t”? O’n i’n meddwl am dani y bore 'ma, ond dwi ddim yn siŵr shwd i ddweud e;

“Pam dwedodd e hynny wrth rhywun sydd yn nabod…” i “Pam dwedodd e hynny wrth rhywun sydd ddim yn nabod…”

Quick question hopefully. When using “sydd” or “sy’n” (who knows, who reads, who sleeps), how would you say “who doesn’t/isn’t”? I was thinking about it this morning but I’m not sure how to say it;

“Why he said that to someone who knows…” to “Why he said that to someone who doesn’t know…”

I think I’m probably completely wrong here and need to rethink it. I guess what I’m really asking is how to negate sydd or what the negative form is.

…sydd ddim…

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

O dyna oedd yn hawdd! Diolch @aran am yr ateb, ac mae’n ddrwg 'da fi ar gyfer fy nghwestiwn gwirion; seems I should have just trusted my first guess! :slight_smile: Thank you! :rabbit2:

1 Like

Some quick related queries on use of pronoun objects with the lexical verb-noun in the past tense construction with “wnes i”.

I’m currently on Challenge 20 of Level 1 (Northern), having never done any modern Welsh before. In the past couple of lessons I reckon I’ve heard both “Wnes i ei mwynhau” and “Wnes i ei fwynhau”, and also “Wnes i wylio fo.”

First question – I understand that the difference between the forms with & without mutation is one of gender. Am I right in assuming that the idea is basically to get us used to hearing and saying both versions, before we tackle the whole issue of gender at some later point?

Second question – I don’t get why the pronoun object sometimes precedes, sometimes follows the verb-noun. Having only heard “ei fwynhau”, the alternative “wnes i fwynhau fo” sounds… wrong to me – but is it? On the other hand, “wnes i ei wylio” doesn’t sound obviously dodgy to me – but is it?

(Please assume I know a reasonable amount about languages and nothing about Welsh outside of the course content – it’s not quite true, but nearly so!)

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Yes… :slight_smile:

You know that bit where you said ‘the idea is basically to get us used to hearing and saying both versions’? Yup, that again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quick Q

Difference between gadael (leave) and ymadael? ymadael - for “self leaving” - “I am leaving” verb?

Like golchi - washing - ymolchi = self wash