Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Also, I’ve noticed that my Northern friends use oes and nac oes more than down here. Could it be a similar thread?

Mmmmmmmm… mmm… ymmm, dunno? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that because they tend to use oes in unexpected places (wyt ti angen diod? Oes, Wyt ti isio paned? Oes) whereas we southerners would only use it in expected places (oes angen diod arnat ti? Oes. Wyt ti’n moyn dishcled? Nagydw)). That may make it seem that they use it more often, but I can’t think of any reason to use oes more often…

Now that’s interesting. Wrtha’i or wrtho’i is my preferred pattern, and I tend to think of anything “less lazy” as “more formal” and vice versa. I’ll have to listen to people a bit more carefully on this one!

1 Like

Exactly that! “Wyt ti isio paned?” Nagoes

Yep - Angharad says that. Has caused a few ‘interesting discussions’ with other mamiaith friends!

1 Like

Really glad you’re enjoying it! (And I see that Aran’s answered the question :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s because eisiau isn’t a verb like moyn, so while the sentence has changed to pretend eisiau is a verb, the answer has remained the same.

Oes eisiau paned arnat ti? Nagoes. (Well, oes actually, but it’s ok, because I have a cafetiere of coffee at my elbow)

3 Likes

This doesn’t surprise me at all! :smile:

1 Like

I’ve had a mind blank. There’s a phrase for being out of breath that involves “gwynt” and “trwyn”?

A’i wynt yn ei ddwrn? (With his wind in his fist)

4 Likes

Maybe it was that one. Is there another idiom for “out of breath”?

I can;t think of one off hand.

1 Like

It’ll be that one then :smile:

Trwyn and dwrn aren’t too different right?

Diolch :smile:

gweiadur.com gives

“allan o wynt” breathless

(but that seems fairly straightforward, rather than idiomatic).

I was tempted to mention this earlier, now I feel encouraged to do so. A friend of mine lived in a family cottage named “Y Bwthyn”. It was an old cottage in an area that had been “swallowed up” by urban expansion. I remember him mentioning this when I moved to Wales, and I remember asking him “did you say Bothy” as it was a term that I was familiar with.

Interestingly, the first use of bwthyn mentioned in the Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru is in 1728, and the Oxford English Dictionary gives “bothy” as a late 18th century word, with various possibilities given of derivations, from Gaelic, Norse or English.

2 Likes

Also note: Does ond gobeithio One can only hope

Does ond gobeithio na fydd y sefyllfa’n gwaethygu
One can only hope the situation will not worsen

6 Likes

For what it’s worth, I remember one of my own teachers back in the Jurassic (Elwyn Hughes - I wonder if anyone here knows him?) insisting (and he was mamiaith Gymraeg) that the standard pattern with isio (i.e. eisiau of course) up North at least where he was from was:

Dach chi isio panad? - Oes.
@iestyn 's point about noun origin of eisiau is right, of course - it’s been made to act like a verb in sentences, but the response echoes the original noun status

Elwyn Wlpan?! One of your teachers? Wel am berffaith:slight_smile:

Yes!! Whadda guy!! :slight_smile:

1 Like