Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I’d expect a fairly even split between laughter and slaps there… :scream:

1 Like

Shwmae pawb! A little question. Whilst watching Pobol Y Cwm (no subtitles, just brain soup) I can’t help noticing a lot of what sounds like ‘oss e’ aat the end of sentences. My brain notices it, shrugs and moves on, but I always want to know what it is. Is it a version of ‘ond y fe’ that I used to hear said, or ‘ond yw hi’ like we had in level one? Or something else altogether? My brain wants to think of it as an is it/innit type thing that often crops up at the end of a sentence but I’m aware that it could well be because ‘oss e’ sounds so much like ‘is it’. I’m assuming the ‘oss’ is maybe ‘oes’. Tipyn o help plis! :confused:

could be (os - if).

cheers J.P.

1 Like

Oes e? Is it? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch @aran. Simple, eh? Back to the soup! :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve got to take my daughter to Germany at the weekend for a ballet event, so I need to get my brain around speaking German for a change. (Which I used to live through, but is now extremely rusty and comes out half Welsh at the mo.)

I have been trying very hard to resist the temptation to think /read /speak any Cymraeg all the afternoon while packing, but it’s difficult! At least German is a language where is easy to translate “withdrawal symptoms”! (Entzugserscheinungen)

That started me thinking though, how unlikely it would be to hear someone actually bother to translate “withdrawal symptoms” in Welsh. (At least amongst the people I talk to.) Inevitable I suppose, but so many slightly interesting words tend to just get said in English, which strikes me a shame. I wonder how much of a problem that is in Welsh medium education when the kids get older and need to be able to write about serious stuff?

Anyway, any takes on “withdrawal symptoms” in Cymraeg?

1 Like

How about ‘hiraeth’? :wink:

2 Likes

Symptomau diddyfnu

1 Like

It had only been about half an hour, so that might be stretching it!

1 Like

Ooh, that sounds official, diolch! I wonder if it’s something that people would necessarily say or recognise in a non-medical context?

My suspicion would be that you were llygad dy le. I think people would say it in English when they’re saying it colloquially. Is it an idiom when it’s not official?

1 Like

If I were: taswn, pe byddwn, pe baswn, pe bawn…I’m all for the “not worrying” and I tend to say “taswn” just because that was the first I learnt. Which is more common? And what do you say? :slight_smile:

Did you say you’d been reading T Llew Jones? That’s where I first noticed those written out in full.

In everyday speech I’ve never noticed anything other than tasen or just 'sen, as we learn in SSIW. (Except maybe skirting round it and saying something like “os byddwn i’n” instead.) Just my rather uninformed take on it though.

1 Like

I think taswn etc is good because a) it’s distinctive, and b) it’s very common (as @netmouse hinted there) , though perhaps more associated with the land of Gog than elsewhere.

2 Likes

Which of course is technically wrong, though increasingly heard.

2 Likes

Odd question. I was looking something up in an app and saw ‘cariad afal’. Fascinated I looked to see the translation as I knew that tomatoes, when they first arrived here, were called, in English, ‘love apples’ . Sadly, the app just said ‘love apple’, no mention of a tomato! But what, I wondered, is a love apple, cariad afal, if not a tomato? Anyone know?

GPC has afal cariad as ‘tomato, love apple’, but nothing for cariad afal. (One of its citations mentions malum insanum, which reminded me that the tomato’s relative, the aubergine, were apparently once known in English - due to a partial translation of melanzane - as ‘mad apples’ or ‘zany apples’. I think I got that from the Wikipedia entry for aubergine…)

Diolch yn fawr Richard. I saw cariad afal by accident. If looking it up, I would have looked for afal cariad, but did not think to check that! I adore ‘mad apples’ for aubergines! It is amazing we ever dared try eating them if they arrived with that name!!

I’m doing lesson 3 of course 3 and I’m stuck on the pronunciation of “he and she will say” could someone spell them for me because I can’t work out if it’s dd in the middle or something else.

Hi Amanda - I’m not sure I’m with you, as I’ve checked the scripts for both course 3 and level 3 and can’t see that being introduced or said.

Is it “Dwedith e / hi” (Deudith in the north I woudl imagine) that you are confused by? If so, and it’s the th that’s got you, you will find many speakers saying dwediff as well - it’s normal dialect in the south. I usually have to stop and think which is “official” and which is dialect when I’m writing!