Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I agree with @Sionned and just to go further I would say that once you do 12 again and understand it a bit better go back to not repeating again. After all you’ve pretty much got half way through without repeating so it hasn’t been all bad. Don’t be afraid to break the rules if it works for you. :wink:

3 Likes

@gruntius @Sionned Thank you so much for your quick reply and wise advice, you’re great! :sunflower::bouquet:

I will do exactly as you recommended. I’m dashing off to work in a few minutes and probably won’t be able to continue learning until tomorrow afternoon, so, this should give my brain some rest and time to process everything it has learned during the previous lessons. I did 3 lessons of Cornish yesterday evening, maybe it’s really too much for my brain to memorise more today. If I’ll still struggle as much tomorrow, I’ll go back 3 Challenges and start anew from there, trying to have faith and soldier on without repeating.

I’m happy with this plan…it’s always good to have one, isn’t it? :relaxed: Diolch yn fawr, you’ve helped me a lot and I’m feeling reassured now! :raised_hands::books::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

i do not know how you manage to learn two languages at the same time! I am sure I’d get them muddled up! Da iawn ti! you are a :star:

1 Like

It’s a subtle difference I think. I don’t know the answer for certain so this is just my Guess:

Man: area/spot
Lle: place

So in hospital you’ll normally see “Man aros” for weighting room. We also have a “Man troliau” which in English is called “trolley bay”.

I don’t really feel Lle would be as adaptive in this sense. However, I’m very happy to be put straight :slight_smile:

For your example it’d be “Caernarfon: man Gymraeg”. If man was used here.

2 Likes

Yes, what they said… :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

First short break at work, and I’m hiding in the broom closed checking on the forum. :kissing_closed_eyes::wink: I’m really thankful for all the support and help, this is very special! :star:️:cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

Thanks, Anthony. That’s great. I’ll go with “area”.

I’ve just found the full sentence in context: from no other than Elin Flur, herself: “Caernarfon. Cymraeg ym mhob man”. I’m taking that as “Caernarfon, Welsh (spoken) everywhere”. Thanks again, Anthony and Aran.

1 Like

Just to add to this, from

http://www.gweiadur.com/en/Pawb/man

lle penodol, llecyn, pwynt (yn gorfforol neu’n ffigurol) (Dyma’r man y bu farw.) place, spot

“lle penodol” - specific place.

If you have access to it (as it needs registration), it’s also worth looking at the many expressions that Gweiadur gives in which “man” is used. If not, you might take a look at the entry for man in
http://geiriadur.ac.uk/gpc/gpc.html
(no registration needed)

It seems to have a wide range of meanings / uses, beyond “place”.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mike. Registration was for a limited number of applicants.
That’s it, thanks: ym mhob man = everywhere. :slight_smile:

Gwe = web, Man = spot, site

Gwe + Man = Gwefan = Website :smile:

2 Likes

You’re being very, very kind, Henddraig! :kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart: I’m much more a tiny little glowworm than a star, believe me. :bug::candle: Are you Welsh?

It would most probably be reasonable to learn one language after the other, not both at the same time. It’s funny, as soon as I hear the voices of the Welsh teachers, I’m in “Welsh mode”, and the Cornish teacher’s voices immediately get me into “Cornish mode”, and I rarely muddle up the words. My problem is the memory; I think having to memorise two languages slows the process down considerably (with my sh***y brain, anyway). It’s just that I love both language…so, I follow my heart instead of reason :hearts::innocent::bulb:

Yes - in effect the mutation is generalised for all inflected verbs. Happens all the time in normal speech.

3 Likes

Yes! Raised in a number of places, mainly in England, learned Welsh a number of times - clearly not very well! Lack of practice was my problem, especially as I never actually lived in an area where Welsh was spoken! Neighbours tended to think I was daft to want to learn! I am therefore super-aware of the loss of our language and the problems facing those working to keep it, not just alive, but growing! Mind, if I hadn’t moved to Scotland for financial reasons, I’d be in ‘utterly monoglot south Gower’ and happily not learning!

1 Like

Yeah ym mhobman is Everywhere. So “every area”.

2 Likes

Why did these neighbours think you were daft to want to learn Welsh? Did they already give up on the language and declared it dead?

Yes, I’ve sure perceived with how much passion, love, enthusiasm and untiring perseverance these people are working to keep your language alive and growing! When I read that you were super-aware of the loss of your language, the scales fell from my eyes and I’ve suddenly realised, that for you, it isn’t “just” a language, a peculiar relict of the past that is worth being “preserved” for nostalgic and scientific reasons. It is a huge part of your culture, your identity, of your way to see the world. Charlemagne said: “To have another language is to possess a second soul.” - For me, learning Welsh means to slowly gain a second soul. I can imagine that for Welsh people like you, it means to retrieve the mother tongue of your first, original soul…

4 Likes

hmm…I see that it’s still showing as being in “beta”. It’s been like that for quite some time now.
Perhaps they don’t have the resources to make it a full-blown “production” service.

There used to be a blog, but the link to that seems to be broken now.
I might try sending them feedback, and trying to get some idea of how likely they are to open up registrations again. It’s a shame more people can’t use it. I think it’s a really good resource.

2 Likes

I seem to be noticing “ym mhobman” and “Bob man” everywhere, now :wink:

3 Likes

I have only lived in the gower a year but find quite a few people speaking the language. My last 3 visits to the park in murton next to Bishopston with the kids have resulted in speaking Welsh. Still clearly and English dominated area but encouter Welsh pretty often. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am tired - Dwi wedi blino. How does that change to say ‘It is tiring’

Possibly “mae’n flinedig”.

1 Like