Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I’d just add that “mor” expects a soft mutation, so “mor ddoniol â”

Another way is to use “cyn …-ed”, for instance “cyn gyflymed a” - but that is literary Welsh :smile:

@Flynn - and you don’t need “yn” before “mor” - “ti’n siarad mor glau â fi”

3 Likes

So the comparison of the adverbs is also done with “mor”? I was a bit confused myself about this whole “as well as” thing, from what I know, as good as should be “cystal a”, because it’s irregular, or at least my grammar books tell me so, but I didn’t know what to do with an adverb.

I think there are alternatives for some of the common ones:

mor dda a = cystal a = as good as

mor ddrwg a = cynddrwg a = as bad as

also:
cymaint a = as much as (Don’t know if you can say that with mor!)

I expect a proper grammar bot will come along and confirm.

3 Likes

I’d say that these forms are the original “cyn” based equatives

Ooh, originals? :slight_smile: So what would they have said for the others originally?

Edit: ah, I suppose you mean “cyn gyflymed a” for any word, which later turned into “cystal” etc

(Think I’d better keep out of this now…)

2 Likes

@Aran - I’ve recently started a welsh class where we are given traditional welsh names to help with the learning. Is there a way to update my forum name?

1 Like

@Aran - do I need to delete my account & set it up again to do this? If I do, will I still be able to register with the same email address?

I suppose “mor fawr â” might work, but it doesn’t sound quite right, does it?

That’s a lovely idea. I will tag @Kinetic (Ifan) as well, in case that speeds things up.

My wife used to be in a Spanish class in which the teacher automatically Spanishised everyone’s names (at least the ones that would “Spanishise” :slight_smile: ). I think that the Spanish and Latin Americans do tend to automatically do this to “Anglo” type names (and I find it rather charming).

1 Like

I wonder how do teachers assign these traditional names, do they have to be somehow linked to the real name?
I’ve just translated my first name into Welsh and found it would be the graceful word “Seren”. Considering changing passport now)

3 Likes

Its kind of weird actually. My new name has already taken on a life of its own - the other students have already given me a shortened nickname version of my new name & I find myself referring to myself with it each time I speak welsh.

What is the new name you have been given, Clair? Very curious!

It can be lovely, like Stella’s Seren, but I was made to be Nova in Latin class when I moved house and had to go to a new school. I hated it with a passion, because it labelled me as ‘the new girl’ for ever!!

It’s not very easy - I have to do it manually - but if you let me know what you’d like it to be, I’ll make the switch - just remember that you’ll need to use the new name the next time you log in after I change it…

to @Clair, please tell us before you change what it will be so we know it’s you!!! (Or do what I did, put ‘Clair’ at the end of posts for I while… I put Jackie after mine!!)

Yes, the equative is the same for adjectives and adverbs - so for example mor araf means both ‘as slow’ and ‘as slowly’; same for the irregulars like cystal - ‘as good as’ or ‘as well as’.

3 Likes

Oh, thank you very much!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the response, I’ll have to try and use it when I speak next in Welsh :smile:

2 Likes

I am trying to say “We borrowed them”. So I came up with “Wnaethon ni eu benthyca nhw.” Wnaethon would soft mutate the verb to fenthyca, but eu…nhw doesn’t cause mutation. So what is the deciding factor? Do I mutate the verb or not?

Wnaethon ni fenthyg y llyfrau.
Wnaethon ni eu benthyg nhw.

Wnaethon ni fenthyg y llyfr.
Wnaethon ni ei fenthyg e.

Wnaethon ni fenthyg y gath.
Wnaethon ni ei benthyg hi.

I think this is correct. Let me know if it doesn’t make sense and I will try and explain a little more fully.
:

2 Likes

Bore da
I’ve finished course 2 lesson 17 (having done C1, L1 and vocab 1) and needed something clearing up
Negatives: Peidio, na ge, does dim (and the other tenses) and dim on its own. Could somebody briefly go over when to use/differences and an example of each.
Diolch ymlaen llaw