Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Another good one is “wedi hen arfer” meant like “I’m used to it”.

7 Likes

No rush to answer this. Any ideas would be greatly accepted :slight_smile: Some words I can’t seem to find anywhere:
Keeps cropping up on Radio, politics type shows, especially building projects? Sounds like Gyfredin or a bit like Caerfredin?? Possibly. dyfrdyn for watertight? That’s the nearest I could find.

Also from old Dosbarth Nos workbook (words in bold to do with holiday guest houses):
Dewch I ferlota, mynydda a mwynhau bywyd y wlad. Bwyd cartef maethlon

At another gwesty: Bwyd Ffrengig (French?) o’r radd flaenaf.

And another one
Disco bob nos. Telerau arbenig I blant dan 15 oed.

Diolch, John

Cyffredin? which is ‘commonly’.

Merlota - to go on a pony trek.

Maethlon - nutritious.

Ffrengig - yup, French, as in not-of-the-language. Gradd - degree.

Telerau - terms (as in ‘terms and conditions’). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, that’s fantastic, Aran. I wish I’d asked you in 1993, now (date of the work book). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And a handy one for politics programmes:

Tŷ’r Cyffredin - House of Commons

(and very common they are too… :smiling_imp: :imp: :wink: )

3 Likes

how to say: “It depends on what you’ve got.” Sort of in reply to “What do you want.”

I’ve thought “Mae’n dibynnu am be sy gyda ti” - tried Google translate and came up with “Mae’n dibynnu am yr hyn sydd gennech chi”

What would people naturally say if at all.

I don’t know about natural, but what about a slight rewording to “Depends on what’s available” - Mae’n dibynnu ar be’ sydd ar gael?

1 Like

Like that one - a lot. I came up with other things like “Mae’n dibynnu am be ti’n werthu” - it depends on what you’re selling or “… be ti’n awgrymu” -… what you suggest.

The reason for asking about “be sy gyda ti” is because I’m yet to here it spoken, but then again I haven’t been listening out for it and things start to feel natural when you hear them spoken, but up to that point, there’s uncertainty and even perfectly good and maybe common constructions can feel unnatural.

On the old Southern Course “be sy gyda fi” is used for - “what i mean” and that might be adding to my uncertainty.

You’re all being too careful :slight_smile: - in this construction you can drop the on in English, and you can drop the ar in Welsh.

Mae’n dibynnu be’ sy gen ti
It depends what you’ve got

Sounds perfect!

7 Likes

diolch yn fawr iawn

2 Likes

Yes, I’m fairly certain that although it means “What/that I have”, it can also mean “what I have (in my mind)”.

1 Like

I asked someone from Creinant about be sy gyda fi meaning “what i mean” and he said that he hadn’t actually heard it, but it made perfect sense to him.

Hi, Are the new lesson announcements still posted in the news section of the forum please? Thanks x

@Aran Diolch yn Fawr x

So in level 2 south we are learning chi as well as ti. Sometimes I am mixing up the two in my answers: for example I just used the ti format for “are you sure you said you wanted a cup of tea or coffee? Whereas the answer was said in the chi format and this happens all the time…is there a way to tell by the type of question of is it that the answers are assuming the context and I probably shouldn’t worry about it?

Also: is there a difference between the ways to say “I thought you said” (spelling more likely incorrect):
O’n i’n meddwl dwedest ti
and
O’n i’n meddwl i ti dweud
I keep saying the dwedest ti version but it seems the i ti dweud version is correct?

Thank you!

Yup - hoping to have some in July… :slight_smile:

More natural, certainly… :slight_smile:

With ti/chi - don’t worry about it, you’ll develop a better radar for it over time, but it’s never very cut and dried even for first language speakers - you’ll meet people who are happy to go ‘ti’ straight away, other who’ll be ‘chi’ either forever or until they’ve known you for a fair old while, others who will start at ‘chi’ but are happy to become ‘ti’ almost immediately… but only a raving lunatic would take offence at a learner using ti when they would have preferred chi or the other way round… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As so I’d be understood if I said either. That’s good to know, thank you Aran.

I thought it was that, I think I’d just stick to what comes into my head and hope that anyone I speak to doesn’t get offended haha. The teacher on my recent “discover welsh” course at City Lit in london said to forgo learning Chi at all “because no one under 1000 uses it”!

2 Likes

I suspect we know what he means, but I’d say it’s a little bit of an exaggeration. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And of course sometimes you want to address more than one person.

2 Likes