Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

well its actually quite hard to find a perfectly pronounced Lords prayer in Welsh, most are new learners (which is great ofc).

Dyma fersiwn da/ Here is a good version

I should learn the Lord’s Prayer in Welsh. Partly because it sounds lovely, and partly because you never know when you might need it…

… I’m not religious at all, I’m one of those heathen non-believers, but last Christmas I accidentally attended a church service (don’t ask) and found myself needing to say the Lord’s Prayer. Of course, as it’s something everyone should know words were not provided. I was, finally, greatful for having to say it so often (and indeed sing it!) at Primary School!

Quick question: I’ve looked into the vocabulary (which I usually don’t do though) of the Level 2 Challenge 24 South and the last sentence in the vocabulary is as follows:

You’d tell me if you could help, wouldn’t you? - Byddet ti’n dweud wrtha i sen i’n gallu helpu, yn fyddet?

Now am I missing something or it should be
Byddet ti’n dweud wrhta i set ti’n gallu helpu, yn fyddet?

Diolch for the answers.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

typo / gwall?

Getting back to “WY” I was surprised recently to hear a placename (Neath area, which I hadn’t heard spoken before) where the WY ending was voiced with the Y effectively silent , local thing? South thing? or more general?

1 Like

I’d think so though.

Yes, correct in West Glamorgan, the Y in “wy” is silent at the end of a place name. So for Ynysmeudwy there isn’t a final “y” and the w is more of a ŵ.

In my limited experience, it doesn’t happen in the North, though.

1 Like

Just thinking of actual conversation. We also tend to drop the y in words like disgwyl, gwybod and ofnadwy :slightly_smiling_face:

In Welsh, we don’t have silent letters. Except we do. :joy:

… in the south. :wink:

1 Like

Ha ha, yes. Cwmtawe. I was carrying on from my post of the previous day. That’s how my brain works at 6AM :grinning:

1 Like

Now, one more question which is not related either to previous of mine neither to the current conversation:

If someone says if he/she should/can send you something via e-post and you reply just Diolch yn fawr. Heb problem.

Is this answer in the eyes of a Welshmen/woman unpolite or even insulting. In our eyes this is just normal, but this is me, being from Slovenia. There in Wales this could be treated differently though.

Thank you for potential answer.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

I can tell I’m sure I’ve received at least a couple of “dim problem” from Wales, in an e-mail!

1 Like

Yep, as Gisella said, “Dim problem” is fine :slight_smile: - and when it’s ultra-informal, you’ll also sometimes get “dim probs” :wink:

2 Likes

You mean anyone pronounces the y in those? I hadn’t realized!

Not always with gwybod but sometimes, yes.

Pronounced like …
Dis-gwil
Gwibod
Ovnadwee

2 Likes

I emailed the Welsh-language band Gwilym to ask if I could post their lyrics here. Their response was “Dim problem”.

Diolch ,

I wonder how far the silent y extends?

1 Like

Thank you to all. Well, I’ve used a bit unusual answer or possibly even wrong but “heb problem” was what came to my mind first. I actually thoght if that might cause a silence from the other person due to being insulted or something like that because this particular thing is happening just right now for about a week already.

Is that a possible reaction due to my answer or it shouldn’t be the case at all?

No, don’t worry, I wouldn’t have thought anyone could possibly be offended with that and certainly shouldn’t cause any delay - if you were expecting a quicker reply I’d imagine the delay is down to something else entirely.

1 Like