SSi Forum

Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

When I lead prayers in church and it comes to the Lords Prayer I invite people to pray in the language of their heart, not the colder version I often hear, the language of their choice.

I’ll let you in on a dark secret :open_mouth: … parts of Cymru consider the same word to have different genders (its not that common though)…dialects hey! … Why I don’t worry as much now…
“Y blodyn mawr” - good way to learn gender is to learn what the big version of the noun is! :smiley:

Band Cymru = Cymru’s band :stuck_out_tongue:

well its actually quite hard to find a perfectly pronounced Lords prayer in Welsh, most are new learners (which is great ofc).

Dyma fersiwn da/ Here is a good version

I should learn the Lord’s Prayer in Welsh. Partly because it sounds lovely, and partly because you never know when you might need it…

… I’m not religious at all, I’m one of those heathen non-believers, but last Christmas I accidentally attended a church service (don’t ask) and found myself needing to say the Lord’s Prayer. Of course, as it’s something everyone should know words were not provided. I was, finally, greatful for having to say it so often (and indeed sing it!) at Primary School!

Quick question: I’ve looked into the vocabulary (which I usually don’t do though) of the Level 2 Challenge 24 South and the last sentence in the vocabulary is as follows:

You’d tell me if you could help, wouldn’t you? - Byddet ti’n dweud wrtha i sen i’n gallu helpu, yn fyddet?

Now am I missing something or it should be
Byddet ti’n dweud wrhta i set ti’n gallu helpu, yn fyddet?

Diolch for the answers.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

typo / gwall?

Getting back to “WY” I was surprised recently to hear a placename (Neath area, which I hadn’t heard spoken before) where the WY ending was voiced with the Y effectively silent , local thing? South thing? or more general?

I’d think so though.

Yes, correct in West Glamorgan, the Y in “wy” is silent at the end of a place name. So for Ynysmeudwy there isn’t a final “y” and the w is more of a ŵ.

In my limited experience, it doesn’t happen in the North, though.

Just thinking of actual conversation. We also tend to drop the y in words like disgwyl, gwybod and ofnadwy :slightly_smiling_face:

In Welsh, we don’t have silent letters. Except we do. :joy:

… in the south. :wink:

Ha ha, yes. Cwmtawe. I was carrying on from my post of the previous day. That’s how my brain works at 6AM :grinning:

Now, one more question which is not related either to previous of mine neither to the current conversation:

If someone says if he/she should/can send you something via e-post and you reply just Diolch yn fawr. Heb problem.

Is this answer in the eyes of a Welshmen/woman unpolite or even insulting. In our eyes this is just normal, but this is me, being from Slovenia. There in Wales this could be treated differently though.

Thank you for potential answer.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

I can tell I’m sure I’ve received at least a couple of “dim problem” from Wales, in an e-mail!

Yep, as Gisella said, “Dim problem” is fine :slight_smile: - and when it’s ultra-informal, you’ll also sometimes get “dim probs” :wink:

You mean anyone pronounces the y in those? I hadn’t realized!

Not always with gwybod but sometimes, yes.

Pronounced like …
Dis-gwil
Gwibod
Ovnadwee

I emailed the Welsh-language band Gwilym to ask if I could post their lyrics here. Their response was “Dim problem”.