Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes it does, @johnwilliams_6.

I just wish Amazon would get their act together. :confused:

2 Likes

Yes, it is worth shopping around. And I am as annoyed as my readers about the ridiculous prices publishers set for these kinds of books - I am constantly explaining to them that if they halved the price they’d get far more than twice the number of buyers…but apparently I am just the writer and know nothing about sales and marketing. :confused:

5 Likes

Maybe we’ve set a new record for pre-order numbers for a grammar book? :thinking::smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, a tiny hopeful voice in my mind has been insistently suggesting that explanation to me! :rofl:

3 Likes

Another :+1: for Modern Welsh, never been so excited to have a grammar book drop through the letterbox! Early birthday present to myself :grin:

1 Like

I am delighted that you are pleased with it, Lynne! Penblwydd hapus ymlaen llaw Happy Birthday in advance, and happy reading! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought the “Kindle” edition, which is around £43. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you are probably aware that you can just read it straight off your computer now. You don’t need a Kindle device.

1 Like

I’d been wondering about this. Thank you for explaining it so clearly.

1 Like

@garethrking I’m coming to the end of level 3 so thinking of buying a book to take me forward… I can only afford one, which would be a good place to start? Is the complete one the beginners and intermediate one combined? Is the new book totally different material? Thanks

1 Like

Well Emma I’m showing my ignorance here, as I’m not sure what end of level 3 means in terms of what you have covered. But anyway…
Basic Welsh is for beginners, Intermediate Welsh carries on from that and ends up with the scary literary verb stuff at the end. Both books have exercises at the end of each of the 20 units. There is no combined volume.
If by the complete one you mean Modern Welsh, that’s a reference grammar - which of course might be what you are looking for now.
The Colloquial Welsh is a self-contained course (+ free online audio) taking you from absolute beginner right through all the main structures of the language.
The new book Working Welsh is different again - it’s a guide to 200 ‘function’ words and phrases - things like if, probably, perhaps, when, could, which and loads of others - with explanations and lots of examples.
Do any of those sound suitable? Or nice? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @garethrking that’s useful. I feel like I ought really to buy a grammar book. But I’m more interested in the new book because I don’t really know how lots of those little words and phrases tie up with the English, and it sounds really interesting. So I think I’ll buy that and keep asking the grammar questions on here instead​:smile::smile:

That sounds like an excellent plan! :smiley:

Hope it shouldn’t be long now before Amazon’s stock is in their warehouse.

To be honest, a fair amount of my grammar answers on here come from Modern Welsh, so you’ve kind of got that one covered anyway! :wink: :joy:

1 Like

OOoh, that sounds right up my alley, that does. I often think or see things in English and wonder if I’m able to say them in Welsh, and it’s those sort of words on which I come unstuck. I have a birthday coming up and I’m being nagged for present ideas… :smiley:

I think you know what to do, Stephen… :wink:

1 Like

I was listening to radio cymru this afternoon and just before the end of the program coming up to 5pm I’m sure I heard the announcer say ‘mae’n tynnu at 5 o’r gloch’ which I thought was its pulling towards 5 o clock. Then I found the tynnu ati was to shrink so it could mean shrinking towards 5 both of which are rather lovely. However then started wondering if I had misheard and it was tua at. Is tynnu at possible? Also I can’t find a translation for misheard and I wondered if you can say camglywed?

Like its English counterparts (draw and pull), tynnu appears in many idiomatic expressions that sometimes can be translated 1-to-1 (tynnu coes - to pull a leg, tynnu gwaed - to draw blood)
So yes, Mae’n tynnu am 5 o’r gloch means It’s almost 5 o’clock.
You are also spot-on with to mishear = camglywed. In the same vein you also get camddeall misunderstand, and many more.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve also heard sentences like this expressed in English sometimes as It’s drawing towards 5 o’clock

2 Likes

Camdreiglo mismutate - that’s a good one! :smiley:

Camtreiglo surely? :thinking::joy:

6 Likes