Virtual choir opportunity for SSiWers

Ceri, I should very much like to hear more. I sing bas 1 (baritone) in Côr Meibion Maelgwn. Dw i wedi bod yn dysgu Cymraeg am tua dri oed rwan. Dw i’n dal ofnadwy!

1 Like

Hi Ceri,

I sing with the Tenors in Wrexham Community Choir so used to singing in harmony. I would love to get involved.

The soundcloud recording was lovely but I would like to hear a bit more of your voice so the words are clear. Thats probably just my poor hearing!

Can you post the words and the tenor and bass parts please.

1 Like

Hi Ceri,

I would be happy to join in and have been a professional (pop) singer when I was younger. Am happy holding a second or third part.

I am not on the forum very often.

you can contact me by email @ elkienvsee@gmail.com

thank you so much for starting this initiative,

warmest wishes,

Elkie (The Netherlands)

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
Thanks so much for all the amazing offers to sing. I can’t wait to start putting this together. I have been working hard on the song today trying to get stuff prepared for the requests for videos of me playing the parts and proper scores etc. I need to put more time in on these and I can see now the rough music I posted yesterday isn’t good enough. So, while I’m getting that organised I want you all to practise, practise, practise. A couple of people sent me recordings today which was great for getting things tested. The biggest issue is the timing. Listen out for where words end in particular. For example with the d sound at the end of “bod” and “fyd” at the ends of the verses things could get quite messy. I haven’t got a good recording of the tenor part yet but will post it as soon as I can. I’m going to stop saying I’ll do things tomorrow or later as everything is busy right now with a houseful of people, including my 10 year old, to look after in these strange days. However, please do keep checking in to see where we are at. Another good bit of preparation would be to sort a photo or two. Anything you have in relation to SSiW would be good if you’ve attended any days out or bootcamps. Also, any nice pictures of yourself in Wales or photos you have of Wales. I can’t promise to use them all but having lots of photos to choose from would be great. If possible I’ll also make a collage of everyone so do send me a nice portrait photo or your best selfie. I’ll try and go through all your comments again and get everything that’s been requested done. If you have anything to send me you can email me at ceri.music@gmail.com. Thanks again. Hwyl am nawr!

:slight_smile:

I’m going to try and do it myself but thanks for the offer. I’ll let you know if I need help.

Words

Dyma Gariad Words.pdf (14.6 KB)

Diolch, Ceri. I guess “Twysog” is an abbreviation of “Tywysog,” so should it be sung as two syllables rather than three?

Helo @ceri-francis. You only appear to have posted the last 8 bars here
Can you post the remainder? In the meantime, I have a version (albeit in F and less syncopated :smile: )
which I’ll use to practise the bass part till the bass recording is available.

About that, I have a Scottish Higher in Music and have been singing in choirs and solo ever since my voice broke 60 years ago. :laughing: so my offer to record the bass line remains open, if you’re stuck.

Hi Huw, can you wait for me to post it as it’s my arrangement and harmonies - probably similar but not the same and the rhythm is far more syncopated than in traditional arrangements. @Iestyn has recorded the bass for me but I haven’t had time to incorporate it into the song properly and then upload it to soundcloud. Thanks for your patience. I’m just redoing the score - if you can check that for me when I’ve posted it that would be great. It is syncopated and to be honest I’m finding it hard to write it out. (Don’t tell anyone! :rofl::rofl:)

ps - I’ve only included 4 part harmony on the second half of each verse. I might addd more. Let’s see how this works out first. I’m just writing out the whole score though.

Your secret is safe with me. I’m delighted a fellow hwntw is recording the bass line. It will add gravitas.

1 Like

These are the first two pages of the score - just the first verse. At the moment I haven’t done harmonies for the first half of the verses but anyone can sing in unison. Verse 2 will follow. I posted the words last night. The syncopated rhythm is hard to write out so probably looks a bit strange. Please just listen to the rhythm and practise. Iestyn did his recording on a computer using Audacity. It’s free software so is another good option for recording. Please make sure your phone isn’t on a noisy surface - eg computers have fans and the sound can be picked up through wood/metal. How about put your phone on a cushion to help soak up sound?

3 Likes

Yep, two syllables - twy-sog

Hi! What a beautiful song. I hadn’t heard it before, but love it and have become familiar with the tune after listening to it a few times. If you could send me the words, I would love to join in. I could manage to sing harmonies if that helps. We’ll done for organising this. Dw i’n meddwl bo dylet ti’n deimlo yn falch ohonot ti hunan! (I hope you understand that, though I’ve probably got the spelling wrong! :grin::heart:

1 Like

Your manuscript is very clear - you’ve done this before. :smile:
I agree Audacity is excellent software (available in most OS including linux) - and it’s free which is important for us Cardies. :wink:
I shall cover my music room walls with egg boxes and imprison our chickens, dog, cats and my granddaughter when I come to record my bit. :laughing:

3 Likes

Hi, I’d like to join in. I could sing the melody and/or bass and/or tenor.
Beautiful choice…

1 Like

Diolch Mary, the words are in here somewhere if you’d like to scroll up.

I’m trying to get through the various requests and give you everything you need. I’m adding things here in one long message rather than just replying to individuals.

Lots of people have asked for the 4 part harmony score. I’ve done verse 1 and it’s above this message. Verse 2 will appear below this message fairly soon.

There a 4 new mixes (soundcloud files) below for practising. In each of these one part is much louder so you can hear it and learn it - soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Please remember the harmony only happens in the second half of each verse. Please only use these for practising. You should use the files much higher in the thread with the word “recording” in them when you come to record.

1. Here is the bass part. Thanks to the very marvellous singer who did this for me. Have a guess who it is:grinning:

1. Alto:

1. This is the tune/soprano

1. Ok, deep breath, this is the best tenor I could do with my soprano voice.

Other things that people have asked:

Q: how to record on a computer
A: You can download Audacity (available free) and use that. You still need to use headphones to play the recording on a different device - I don’t want you to record the backing track - just your voice.

Q: Where are the words
A: Somewhere in the thread above this post

Q: Can I have the score
A: yes, half is already posted, the other half will be posted soonish.

Q: Can I just have the tune/part played on piano
A: I’ve tried but haven’t finished it but actually I’d prefer you to listen to the soundcloud versions with singing in case I play with slightly different timing.

Q: Where to send recordings
A: Email your recordings to ceri.music@gmail.com

Q: When to send
A: As soon as you feel ready but let’s try to do it over the next couple of weeks

Q: What format
A: If you can save your recording as an Mp3 or convert to Mp3 that would be great. Don’t worry if you can’t.

Finally, if you’ve forgotten what to do please watch the youtube recording I posted a few days ago in this thread and please be prepared for me to comment and ask you to redo something if you’re recording is not quite right. I want this to sound great!

4 Likes