Welsh Music Videos and Audio Files

I think that what’s behind this is that the scene is tiny and everyone knows each other, so cross-pollination is pretty much guaranteed to happen. So you have a hip-hop artist like Mr Phormula working with a jazz-pop artist like Alys Williams on a track with an electro-influenced brass band in Band Pres Llareggub, and no-one bats an eyelid.

3 Likes

Loving the stuff on this thread. It’s such a natural progression from the folk/rock stuff that I was brought up with. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I expect that is indeed it!

It depends on how you define folk music really. For me folk music is music about the traditions and culture of and from an area. Thus anything non-classical in Cymraeg is Folk music. I’ve never liked the distinction between World music and Folk music, with the distinction of ‘World’ to mean ‘not Western European’. For me everything is folk music that isn’t written specifically to fit into a specific global music genre. Anyway Patrobas!:

2 Likes

I heard this last week and it’s the first piece of Welsh music I’ve understood on first listen! It’s some electropop for all you crazed pop fans and rather earwormy:

1 Like

I’ve heard these guys on Radio Cymru a few times, but I’ve found them on You Tube. Psychedelia as it should be done. Amazing stuff:

1 Like

Trivia fans might be interested to know that Nest Howells who sings on that track is the mam of both Elin Fflur and Gwion Llewelyn (Radio Lux/Race Horses/Yr Ods amongst other bands), and aunt to Osian Howells (Yr Ods and also a solo artist) and Guto Howells (Yr Eira).

3 Likes

She looks and sounds like Elin Flur. Loving the guy on the 12 string guitar.

1 Like

I know, great hair and an awesome moustache, a pity his voice is a bit flat

Blodau’r Cwm. That’s a lovely tune - the first welsh folksong that I learned. About a year and a half ago I performed it with a harpist - if you’re still looking, and I can ask what chords she used.

2 Likes

For those into folk music but new to the Welsh folk scene, you might like to keep an eye on this site:

trac strategically develops the folk music and dance scene of Wales. It works to maintain and develop the Nations’ vibrant, living tradition and ensure it is shared and enjoyed by audiences. It supports amateur and professional musicians regardless of age, language and race and across borders, and celebrates the very best representation of our folk music culture, promoting it at home and across the world.

I see they’ve just posted an event on FB if anyone is interested and in the area -

Pibau, pibgyrn, alawon. Welsh pipes, pibgyrn and tunes.
Diwrnod o weithdai a sesiynau i bawb sydd a^ diddordeb yn y pibau Cymreig a’r bibgorn, a’r alawon gallwn eu canu arnyn nhw. Hyfryd iawn! Mae llety ar gael yn y lneuadd lle rydyn ni’n cwrdd.
A day of workshops and sessions for all who are interested in the Welsh pipes and pibgorn, and the tunes we can play on them, A day to immerse yourself in our growing piping tradition. Accomodation available.in the Hall where we are meeting.
14 October at 10:00–23:59, in Ystradgynlais

6 Likes

Didn’t Nest sing at this year’s Eisteddfod?

Rings a bell somehow.

1 Like

Ooooooooooh, yes please! Diolch ymlaen llaw! It is a lovely song, isn’t it.

Thanks, Siaron.
I’ve passed this on to a couple of friends who are interested in Celtic pipes.

1 Like

That double-necked Rickenbacker is so 1970s. Ridiculous.

1 Like

anyone else have cymruFM app on their phone?
I also sometimes listen to Blas-Folk Radio Cymru too.

This is going to sound slightly strange, but two people that I happened to be passing the time of day with this morning, turned out to be Lowri’s mother and her next door neighbour :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That must have been interesting John. We’re going to see Lowri again this week in Liverpool at the Arts Club. She’s supporting Tom McRae. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Georgia Ruth, and The Gentle Good both do lovely Welsh folk.

4 Likes