Welsh National Eisteddfod Bae Caerdydd/Cardiff Bay 3 - 11/08/2018

OK, so I’m going to sit down and sort this out at the end of this week - so it’ll be printable off-able (Hey, don’t speak enough English these days to know if that works or not! :slight_smile:

Can people have a look here… http://eisteddfod.wales/the-maes/timetables

…and then make any recommendations of stuff to see, things to do, bands to watch etc for this “SSIW related activites + SSIW people recommendations” guide :smiley:

Diolch all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know it’s not welsh but I love that phrase you just made up … ‘printable off-able.’
It probably is welsh to a degree; a bit like ‘I’ll be there in a minute now.’
Know what I mean ‘arry … eh, Nicky!!
High 5!

2 Likes

@nicky I’ve seen one event that might be of interest to SSiWers - Cymdeithas yr Iaith have a session called ‘Ymestyn y Gymraeg’ (Extend Welsh) at their stand in the Norwegian Church at 11.00 on Friday 10th. @nia.llywelyn and @neilrowlands will be speaking, plus others.

1 Like

This, this people, This people is what we are talking about… some good old fashioned recommendations.

Thanks for this @Deborah-SSi I will put it in our guide.

1 Like

Thanks @Deborah-SSi. Everyone here will be pleased to know that I’ve assembled a crack team of experts who will be talking about ‘How can learners contribute to Welsh-speaking life?’ in Shw’mae Caerdydd/ Maes D on Saturday 04/08, 15:10.
The panel is me, @Nicky, @patrickjemmer, who translated the Ask Dr Gramadeg section into Welsh, Peter who writes Newyddion i Ddysgwyr Newydd, Sam Brown who is a linguist and does marketing for Gomer Press, and Dani Schlick, one of the final 4 in last year’s Dysgwr y Flwyddyn competition and does a lot in her community on Anglesey and Gwynydd. It will be an interesting and practical session; we all started delivering real Welsh language services while in the process of learning the language, and there’s no reason why most learners can’t also do that if they want.
Nicky, I’d love to promote your guide once you have finished it.
The Cymdeithas yr Iaith Ymestyn y Gymraeg session will be finalised in the next day or two and I will update this thread then.

5 Likes

Can anyone confirm that Karla’s slot will be 5:30 Thursday on the Pafilwn HSBC in what I believe is…

17:30 Beirniadaeth 31

?

I’m putting together the guide, and this is the only competitive thing I can see at that time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that is right but let’s confirm with @Karla. Because i’m rubbish at dates and times

2 Likes

Also, in this guide/spreadsheet that I’m putting together - instead of just a single SSIW meetup… I’ve gone ahead and created THREE MEETUPS…

…all at different times of the week. So it gives more people a chance to come and meet someone from here. No need for everyone to come to every single one, but I just thought it would open it up a bit.

I’ve put locations down for them on the spreadsheet - but really these are just meeting points, I assume we would all just find the nearest coffee place or bar or similar.

Anyway… would anyone object to.

SSIW MEETUP 1: THE ONE AT THE START. SATURDAY 4th AUGUST
1pm, outside Shwmae Caerdydd/Maes D.
Those who are about, come and meet us and we’ll grab a table somewhere.

SSIW MEEUP 2: THE BIGGY. THURSDAY 9TH AUGUST
6pm, outside Pafiliwn HSBC, 20 minutes after Karla will have finished competing, and a lot of us will be there anyway.
As with the first one, we’ll meet here and find a place to go based on everyone’s tastes.

SSIW MEETUP 3: THE SMALL ONE AT THE END. SATURDAY 11TH AUGUST
11am, outside Siop y Pethe’s stall (near Shwmae Caerdydd) - and we’ll find somewhere to grab a coffee.
Set this one up as people like @Gog will not be arriving until the Friday, and I wanted to make this one close to Siop y Pethe, so @LaraRobs who will be working throughout the week for the others has a chance to meet us all.

I’m going to be at them all, because I’m a loser like that!

3 Likes

What a great idea. Unfortunately, I’ll miss the first and last but I’ll come to the Thursday one, yn bendant!

2 Likes

This is exactly why I thought of it :smiley:

Hopefully with three - and two on the first and last Saturday, we should be able to cover most SSIWers who will be calling in :slight_smile:

Ok… so heres a rough first draft - based on

a) Stuff that people actually recommended to me (thanks all!)
b) Stuff that involves a SSIW’er in some capacity.
c) Stuff I just saw that looked like it could be interesting for someone with an interest in the language.

I’ve set the document so that anyone can comment, but only I can edit.

So, please have a look - keep your suggestions coming in and I’ll add them.

I’d advise not printing this out until closer to the event, as it’ll probably change - and as always, I cannot be responsible if any events run over time/get cancelled/don’t happen :smiley:

EDIT: I’ve not included Maes B/Cymdeithas gigs/External events etc. I’ve kept this to Eisteddfod official events only. But I’ll be at a couple of Maes B and Cymdeithas nights if anyone is about?

Enjoy!

3 Likes

This is brilliant @Nicky, but can I kind of urge a bit more …

From experience this doesn’t work, a group of people can’t decide squat and will stand around for half an hour staring at each other saying stuff like “so, where shall we go” and “I don’t mind, I’m easy”.

May I suggest someone choosing 2 or 3 places they like and setting up a vote on here.

This really does come across as a negative post but it’s not meant that way. :grinning:

Edited to add: I’ve just seen the map of the Maes and there is a food village so that might be the easiest answer with normally a decent choice of food available. So what if we were to meet up, go to find a table in or close to the food village, then help ourselves if we want food and drink, and then enjoy the evening together?

3 Likes

How we play it is totally open. I’ve put meeting points in the spreadsheet/the forum - but that sounds like an idea. We’ll meet at the places listed, but then go to the same spot for every one.

2 Likes

That’s worked on occasion in the past.

1 Like

Awesome work!

1 Like

This sounds like a plan.

I’ll keep the original meeting points, because with some of the events, most of us will be in the same original place (Karla’s performance etc), then after 5 mins of waiting for others - we’ll walk over to the Food village.

I’ll try and bring some kind of flag to identify us at the Food village. Maybe i’ll sacrifice one of my Welsh flags and spray a giant “SSIW” on it.

1 Like

Yes a few times, I hadn’t seen a map before and, for some reason, was under the impression that there wasn’t a food village and we were expected to use local food outlets. This cheered me up because we (the 4 in the family) all have different food tastes and everything in one place is a lightsaber.

2 Likes

And you get to have queue races. Hint: The pizza queue always loses.

1 Like

:grin: :joy: :wink:

Haia! Yes, it’s 5:30 in Neuadd yr Urdd, which I assume is in the pavilion…the timetable I received is a bit vague…

2 Likes