Welsh National Eisteddfod Llanrwst, Conwy 2019 - SSiW meet-up poll

The Bae Caerdydd National Eisteddfod is almost over, and what an Eisteddfod it was! The gamble of organising a city based Eiseddfod in Cardiff Bay really did pay off. Visitors have reported a fantastic atmosphere, a welcoming festival, inclusivity, diversity, vibrancy among other very positive feedback. Maybe this really does mark a new beginning for the future of the Eisteddfod and fresh ideas for its organisers.

Next year’s National Eisteddfod will be on the outskirts of Llanrwst, Sir Gonwy. In fact we have it on good authority that the actual location will be between Llanrwst and Betws y Coed. It will be a traditional Maes on farmland.

Here’s what the Eisteddfod have to say so far about next year…
https://eisteddfod.wales/2019-eisteddfod

Llanrwst.
Betws y Coed

Betws y Coed

Please answer this meet-up poll here

6 Likes

We as a family have already booked a cottage in the Capel Garmon, so will be in and around the Eisteddfod for a whole week, representing SSiW and catching up with learners.

I have to admit to having had to spend a couple of hours searching websites for available accommodation. Many were already unavailable for those dates. Some websites will allow you to book and reserve for as little as £20 or so, providing that if you cancel then you pay the full deposit. But if you are certain of your plans, it’s a great way of secuting a place to stay without having to break the bank.

We are already looking forward to it and hoping to see many of you there for SSiW’s 10th year! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a friend with a house in Llanrwst that would be available to me but I would need people interested in sharing as it’s quite expensive but she is giving me a discount on the book price. It’s 3 bedrooms a double, a single, and a double with an extra single bed. I’m sure we could sleep a few extra on blow up beds. Let me know if interested. Bwtcamp rules?

2 Likes

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity Amanda, thanks for sharing! Maybe some of your former Bootcamp buddies may be interested?

1 Like

Mae’n ddrwg gen i - I clicked the definitely interested button when in fact I have a big family gathering all week that week and won’t be able to come :frowning:

Can’t see how to unclick that, but please un-count me (for 2019 only!)

1 Like

I agree that accommodation around the Llanrwst area will be in short supply , especially in the middle of summer and with the Eisteddfod on aswell . There are however lots of campsites in the surrounding areas and if anyone didn’t mind the idea of staying further out and travelling in every day , Llanrwst is only a half an hour or so bus ride from the coast where there is an abundance of accommodation. It is also only a half an hour bus ride from the Welsh speaking town of Blaenau Ffestiniog where it may be possible to get accommodation . Living in county Conwy myself it has been good to see the excitement building and the enthusiasm of people trying to raise as much money as possible to go towards it. Menter Iaith Conwy are doing a great job promoting the upcoming Eisteddfod and are organising different events to raise funds. A group of about 15 of us met up in my village a few weeks ago to discuss ideas too.

1 Like

Thank you for your wonderful suggestion Sam! I have edited the above post to include some caravan and camping sites. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, that’s easy. Just get a new family.

[Just when I was thinking that we might have more than a few ‘in a rush’ seconds to talk in Llanrwst!]

2 Likes

What could be better than a family gathering at the Eisteddfod?

You’re just not trying…

3 Likes

Well that’s all very straightforward, @aran and @Isata - I just have to tell my whole extended family to learn enough Welsh to enjoy the Eisteddfod for a week in a year’s time; or else fydda’i ddim yn caru neb, byth eto! :slight_smile:

Just in case that fails, I may be able to get to either the opening or closing weekend, we’ll see …

4 Likes

It’s taken a few years, but I’ve finally caught the Eisteddfod fever. (From @Isata, who has already booked a week’s compulsory accommodation for the Machynlleth Three.)

So I’m thinking about volunteering, to get the most out of it. Any chance of helping out at an SSiW stand? A couple of little booths with headphones, and a special SSiW Eisteddfod survival lesson - we could set hundreds of people on the road to eternal happiness…

3 Likes

The Cardiff eisteddfod was my first and I equally have caught the bug. I was able to volunteer for a couple of hours on the London Welsh stand which was great for speaking Welsh to strangers but the best Welsh speaking experience was on the two SSiW ‘sessions’ I went to. Whatever SSiW are planning officially for next year I would like to see more opportunity for regular get togethers over the week for both newbies, those confident to hold long Welsh only conversations and those still going through the lessons (and a mix of all). That said, I know that I will not organise accommodation quickly enough so will keep an eye out for any sharing opportunities or, if all else fails, buy a tent!

2 Likes

That’s a fantastic idea! I’d be happy to do a share of volunteering as well, since I’m now committed to the whole week…

That takes me off the ‘definitely interested in a house share’ list as well, I’m afraid. I just clicked and it sort of happened. Sorry for booking first and asking later, Bronwen!

2 Likes

We used to do this, but it was seriously pricey (apart from when Hwb were kind enough to let us share their Maes D stand) - and oddly never lead to any increase in our sign up rates. If we can crack a few other languages in the next few years, we’d love to start having an SSiW stand again, and running it much more as a social thing… :slight_smile:

1 Like

A stand would be great but a timetable of events and meet ups would be almost as good. Nicky did a great job but something even more comprehensive might do it. I am only thinking off the top of my head but there must be lots to do that people could sign up to such as going for local walks, having a drink on the maes, sitting together in some events, having a drink outside the maes in Welsh friendly pubs, cooking meals in our self-catering accommodation, eating out somewhere and, not sure I mentioned it but having a drink somewhere too. Lots of time to organise!

2 Likes

I hear there’s this 6-month course… :laughing:

3 Likes

OK, it may have to be SSiW T-shirts then, for those of us whose faces or beards aren’t instantly recognisable…

2 Likes

I wore mine on the one day I was wandering around the Maes and had a few people stop me to tell me that they had friends or partners that are learning with SSiW.

Then one woman asked if she could take a photo of my chest to remind her what the website was later on that evening! :joy:

8 Likes

Mine still hasn’t come. :sob:

Little bit cheeky, but if anyone is interested I have a self-catering lodge which accommodates 2 people in Dolwyddelan. Dolwyddelan is about 15 minutes drive from Llanrwst - you can also get to central Llanrwst by train or bus but the services aren’t that frequent.

You can book the lodge through Sykes Cottages and it is open for bookings in 2019 now. We’ve already got around 10 bookings for 2019, but at the time I posted this the Eisteddfod week was still free.

Google search Ty Nain Dolwyddelan and then choose the Sykes Cottages link which comes up.

Hope no-one minds me posting this too much - got to earn the fees for my SSiW courses somehow :wink:

2 Likes