What's outside

This is a real education. I had never heard of a bee fly before in any language. Thank you!
Sue

2 Likes

Brittle cinder, is my best guess, on a horse chestnut. Apparently “infected trees are prone to sudden collapse”. We have a stump in the garden with the blackened form of this parasitic fungus. Maybe that’s why it’s just a stump.

Colsyn brau - brittle cinder

5 Likes

May I say snap wrt @ramblingjohn’s picks! The weird and wonderful indeed! Meanwhile, in our garden, a sad lad or lass, seeing all the birds eating at our main ‘all-you-can-eat- buffet’ doesn’t really see that it’s fair that his or her food disappears rapidly as soon as he/she approaches…
if anyone knows how to sex a sparrow hawk, please tell me!
After a bit, no food having landed, sadly… he/she fluttered off…

pictures were thanks to Janet who is better at photograpgy than me. But we have some red polls eating frequently now and neither of us has managed a picture. Global warming seems to be widening our bird varieties!

9 Likes

Multiple trunk tree/ pren? Coed. Pembrey Country Park/ parc gwledol Pembrey.

5 Likes

Rain over the Irish sea yesterday with the Eifl mountains in the background…

6 Likes

Fritillaries in Iffley Meadow, Oxford, 21 April. I hope they are still flourishing for the walk on Saturday.
Sue

9 Likes

I am no expert @henddraig but according to Iolo the adult ‘llawn dwf’ male has
‘cefn llwydlas, boch ac ystlys oren’ - a dove grey back with orange cheeks and flanks. (I think that’s what he’s saying) The female looks bigger with lighter cheeks, breast and flanks. It’s all in Llyfr Adar - Cymru ac Ewrop p.56

3 Likes

I think i’d need one of each to compare, an unlikely event!

1 Like

Warning - Carnage in the garden!
My son took some pictures of a female sparrow hawk in his garden in Pembrokeshire last year. It isn’t full frontal like yours, but I think you can see the difference in colouration. I did post one of the same bird last year, so sorry for this repetition folks. Hope this helps @henddraig Iolo also says that the female has long legs.

6 Likes

I would like some help please with identifying this beautiful tree which is growing in our garden…

2 Likes

Is it a blossom tree? Cherry blossom or similar?

2 Likes

Yes, flowers, leaves and bark all look as if it’s a cherry tree - a wild cherry perhaps if it’s pretty tall - or maybe a plum, also from the Prunus family?

6 Likes

Ah yes, I think it’s a wild cherry blossom! Diolch!! :smile:

2 Likes

From a couple of days ago.

Gwyn bach - small white.

Heddiw - Today.

Britheg - snake’s head fritillary.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

There was a gorgeous moon-cloud combo going on a couple of nights back…

Then on Sunday this little chap was getting busy…

10 Likes

Also, I have a brân bigwen / ydfran (rook) in the garden :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Wow we only get hooded crows!

1 Like

Of the corvid family, I get crows, jackdaws and magpies too. Slim chance of a raven, jay or chough though, so I doubt I’ll ever get the full set in the garden! (although there are ravens and choughs in Snowdonia, and I’ve seen a jay while walking the dog)

1 Like

I have seen a chough in my tiny back yard , well, on the wall thereof, on Gower! They lived on the grazed grass on the cliffs. Not sure why it crossed four or five fields to my wall!

2 Likes

Prynhawd da! I’m after some tree identification Please and hoping someone can help me?

We have been living here and ‘caretakers’ of this beautiful garden for a year and a half now and I’m still unsure of some of the trees.

It would be fantastic if anyone could help me with giving them names?

3 Likes