What's outside

Even though your walk was a damp one, I’m still sad to have missed it.
I set my ‘camera dros y nos’ up under an apple tree to see who was nibbling all the windfall apples. This morning there was 237 images.
230 ish of them looked like this.

Defaid - sheep.

But I was rewarded for my efforts in trawling through them.

Sgrech y coed - jay

6 Likes

At the beginning of November I posted some snaps of a fungus on a tree - wondering if it may be alder bracket. I went that way again today & it was looking very different but very very nice.

This yellow jelly fungus was growing very happily with the hairy curtain crust - ysgwydd flewog.

6 Likes

Your first image now looks more like an Antrodia species, i have only seen the one which grows on pine, as yours is on hardwood the book suggests this could be Antrodia albida, da iawn eto, ti wedi dod o hyd rhywbeth newydd - well done again, you have found something new.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Another old friend, well, not necessarily the same one, just same species, came for a visit yesterday,

cnocell y coed, never remember if greater or lesser spotted, but it was quite large, so I suspect greater!
I have remembered I said I would always call a woodpecker coblyn y coed in future!

3 Likes

Looks great to me!

1 Like

Petris Goesgoch yn yr ardd heddiw. Red legged partridge in the garden today.

& some very very sticky poop from a bird who has been enjoying mistletoe berries. I picked a seed out - I know - eeeew & couldn’t get it off my fingers. You can just see how some of the ‘seeds’ have stuck to this twig.

4 Likes

Why not stick it to an apple or an oak, then you’ll have more!
NB Getting partridge in the garden is quite something! We had wild grey ones on Gower, but not often in gardens!

2 Likes

Heddiw, mae’n edrych fel yr Eirlys dechrau tyfu - today, it looks like the snowdrops are starting to grow.

Eirlys - snowdrops.

The exciting part of today was being shown where Otter spraint has been found. (that’s a really unlikely maybe photo next year) (but optimism is free and as usual i will use it freely).

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Heddiw, un ffwng sydd yn hapus tyfu drwy’r gaeaf - Today, one fungus that is happy to grow through the winter.

Flammulina velutipes - Velvet shank (dim enw yn cymraeg - no welsh name ).
This one is cultivated by the Japanese.

un Gwylan ddryslyd - one confused gull.

Gwylan benddu ifanc - young black headed gull.
Caption: weithiau, dw i esiau gofyn pam - sometimes, i want to ask why.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

To complement your orange, I have blue (lliw cyflenwol - complementary colour). I remember posting a picture of this blue velvety fungus when I found it in Oxfordshire last winter. Now I’ve been lucky enough to come across it here in Sir Fynwy. Dw’i wedi bod digon ffodus i ddod o hyd iddo yma yn Sir Fynwy.

Cobalt Crust

5 Likes

Draig barf Bearded dragon

3 Likes

eryr wedged tailed eagle

3 Likes

I know I’d hate the desert. I don’t like being too hot! But, oh, I’d love a dragon bach, with or without beard!!!
Instead, here is a bad picture (my photography is worse than fy Nghymraeg!) of our little friend who is now coming nearly every morning!

3 Likes

Apples - afalau. The windfall apples that we left on the ground have almost all gone. Back in mis medi, a mantell goch - red admiral was enjoying them.

Over the last couple of weeks I set my ‘wildlife camera’ up to see who was eating the leftovers. It was mainly sheep, but the camera also captured:
Fox - llwynog
Grey Squirrel - gwiwer lwyd
Pheasant - ffesant
Blackbird - aderyn du
Song thrush - bronfraith
Fieldfare - socan eira
Robin - robin goch
Jay - sgrech y coed
and hiding, almost camouflaged in this picture
Green woodpecker - cnocell werdd

So, I don’t feel at all bad for not clearing up the apples.

4 Likes

Panellus stipticus (drw gen i , dim enw yn yr cymraeg neu saesneg).

Seren ddaear gyffredin - common earth star. (still possible to find these).

Ffesant ceiliog - cock pheasant.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Birds with total confidence. You’d never guess they are routinely shot! I had to force myself not to hit the one who ruled a corner at the top of a hill near our village! He stood there, in the middle of the road, eyeing his females and just presuming the traffic would avoid him and them!

1 Like

Every day at present, our little friend comes for black sunflower seeds. We are supposed to be getting more seasonal (i.e. colder) weather soon, but while it is so mild, he comes. I will not bore you with a picture a day, but this, Janet took yesterday and it is a great improvement on my last effort. After this, no more unless he brings friends or family! (Or poses with Toffi!!!). :wink:

4 Likes

You are so lucky to have this little friend. Please don’t stop posting pictures; it’s the only chance most of us in the U.K. will ever get to see one! Am I right in thinking that even in Scotland seeing a red squirrel is a pretty big deal?

1 Like

I seem to remember it being reported that all grey squirrels have now been eliminated on Ynys Mon so now all the squirrels you see there are red ones.

1 Like

I’m sorry, mae’n ddwrg gen i, Pippa, dwi ddim yn swr! I believe the greys are still moving north, but I have a notion they don’t like conifers much. I just hope they don’t spread their nasty pox virus up here! There are (were?) reds in Formby Woods, Lancs. This is run as a reserve, so greys may be trapped out or shot - I don’t know.
I just looked on line and it seems neither gwiwer likes sitka spruce, grown here as a cash crop, so I hope the Forestry Commission limit the size of their plantations. Reds like Norway Fir and Scots Pine. Greys prefer deciduous! Cross fingers for gwiwer coch bach! Oh, and I’ll post if we get any really good pics. As the weather is set to get colder, wetter, windier, stormier… don’t hold your breath!

I read that too! I hope the bridges are well guarded!! (Plot line for R&R???)

2 Likes