What's outside

Not all Mamau are that easily shocked @Iestyn!!!

3 Likes

Yn gyntaf, rhaid i mi fod yn onest - first i must be honest.
(i did not take this photo, it is a screen shot).

Cath ddu mawr - big black cat.

There are various stories of big black cats reputed to appear across Britain,
my surprise was coming upon this sight while looking for an address on street view.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

I watched both birds leave the nest this morning so took the opportunity to have a closer look. The wagtails (siglen fraith) have built the nest in an old blackbird’s nest well back in the ivy. I could only make out two young birds, but didn’t want to disturb them by looking more closely. They are certainly being well fed and I can’t believe that there are only two of them eating the huge quantity of insects being brought every three to four minutes.

5 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Gloyn byw mantell garpiog - comma butterfly.

Marchysgallen - Spear thistle.

Nionyn gwyllt - Crow garlic.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Such glowing colours! Evidence of that strange bright disc in the sky which we saw.for a day back in May!

3 Likes

Nes i fyn yr Lundain heddiw - i went to London today.
beth nes i weld - what did i see.

Planed Jupiter - planet Jupiter.

Ffrwyth o coeden pisgwydden - fruit of lime tree (dw i ddim yn siwr am yr rhywogaeth - i’m not sure of the species).

Alarch du - Black swan.

Cwtiar ar nyth gyda chywion dechrau ymddangos - Coot on nest with chicks starting to appear.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Oh @ramblingjohn where in London?

• The Planetarium?
  • A lime lined street (with - what is it Limes drop on cars? My dad used to curse them!)
  • London Zoo?
  • Along the Thames
1 Like

Dw i’n hoffi ur arlarch du! Dw i ddim yn gybod t’n cael yn Gymru. (I like the black swan! I didn’t know you had them in Wales.)

1 Like

Da bo haul.

6 Likes

Black swans are not native here! I believe they come from your land! Hence my comment about London Zoo, although some wild life reserves have them! (Cheating, I call that!) :wink:
p.s. Love the sunset! No sun yma! Just cloud, with or without rain!

1 Like

Merlod Dartmoor a Chochyn Cymreig yn y gwyllt (Dartmoor ponies and a Cochyn Cymreig in the wild).

6 Likes

Yep black swans do come from Aust. It is winter here now but it has been dry. Not like where you are I am guessing from the last comment.

1 Like

I haven’t been there recently, but there were always a few in Gnoll Park in Neath. The one with the lakes, not the rugby ground :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mae’r amgueddfa wyddoniaeth - The science museum.
Then Hyde park for trees and birds.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

I never found out where ‘mine’ were nesting. Last week I saw one of the parents flying towards the house with a mouthful of food & thought I’d got lucky but it was feeding a chick that had fledged.
I did spot this little one on the roof & think it may be a pied wagtail chick. Not sure. Welais i y cyw bach 'ma ar y to. Efallai cyw siglen fraith ydy o, ond dw’i ddim yn hollol siwr.

Came across a fallen tree covered in little piles of sawdust & a beetle of some sort. I accept the evidence is circumstantial - mae’r dystiolaeth yn amgylchiadol - but is he the culprit @ramblingjohn

3 Likes

Dw i’n meddwl bod dych chi’n gywir.

2 Likes

Nematodes of various types are available from
www.rhsplants.co.uk

Raymond

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

Sori, @henddraig: For some reason I didn;t see a notification of this.

Anyway, I get my nematodes from www.GreenGardner.co.uk They come in a package through the post that you con keep in the fridge (it is well sealed!) for a fortnight, I think. They come in 10 or 30 square meter packs, so a bit much for a window box, and cost about £12 or £30.

For window boxes, have you considered copper tape?

2 Likes

Sorry @Iestyn it’s a border, not a window box, but about the size of one, so too small for bulk nematodes! I already have copper tape round them (obtained after the first lot were demolished) and clever slugs zip- wired in on an overhanging plant! This is the first year egg shells have needed to be in vast profusion to deter them! My remaining lettuce is moated on all sides by the shells of every egg I’ve consumed since last summer! I may be able to try nematodes next year by sharing them with friends/neighbours etc…!

1 Like