What's outside

No, after much deliberation, it’s definitely a Pila Gwyrdd - Siskin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. It looks like our returned siskin. Shame, as it seems greenfinches are dying of nasty sickness caught from doves in places like our back garden. Hope we haven’t murdered any that way! Meanwhile, the following terrible pic is the best I could get to show…

one of the three chaffinches I have seen! Croeso nol aderyn bach! Do you say ‘asgell fraith’ for these?

4 Likes

I would naturally call it a ji-binc. Much like the Nico, it seems to be the preferred affectionate/endearing name. Asgell Fraith is correct, but more formal. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr! Always nervous of using ‘j’!!! Except in ‘garej’!! :wink:

3 Likes

He came back and I was able to get a better shot…

And my favourite, the Nico bach…

7 Likes

Heddiw yr neidr wedi ymddangos - Today the snakes have appeared.

Gwiber - Adder.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Yesterday (ipad wouldn’t accept pressing of reply) - Definitely siskin. Greenfinches are bigger, slimmer and have much less black!`
Today - waiting for pics from Janet to prove it, but this morning, all together, our little birds came home! Oh happiness! We will never know where they were hiding. But, question, to @ramblingjohn could they have hatched chicks in the period of the Beast from the East? Hope to include pics of very small young-looking possibly this year’s offspring!

best we could do! And here are our possible cyw bach…

much more enlarged of course!

4 Likes

So glad they came back safe

2 Likes

If they had hatched chicks during that period, those would not have fledged yet.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Diolch! I suspected that!

1 Like

Here are a couple of territorial Robins in the garden this morning. There was no bloodshed as one gallantly backed down, fair play to him…

9 Likes

Or was he less experienced and more easily cowed?

1 Like

a moth trap was left out over night. Here are a selection from this morning.

Crynwr cyffredin - Common quaker.

Crynwr gothig - Hebrew character.

Tant cyrn melyn - Yellow horned.

Rhisglyn y derw - Oak beauty.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Beautiful! I love moths! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I admire you! I have a horror of them! My poor Dad once made the mistake of asking me to hold the lamp while he did something complicated outside in the dark. Moths came! I dropped the lamp and fled! I had problems of them getting into my bedroom in Harrogate - great big ones! I’m afraid I resorted to violence, as I do to any spider unfortunate enough to come into view indoors!

Relieved & pleased to hear this. Happy times!

1 Like

It’s murder outside this morning…

5 Likes

snow returned over night - dychwelodd eira dros nos.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

No snow yet. One industrious wagtail and a couple of female chaffinches. Hope all your birds don’t get too cold! (It was below zero here first thing!). I think most of ours felt the cold wind and cwtched up in the most sheltered place they know! (Wish I knew where!).

2 Likes

Well there are plenty of little ones back now the crows have gone, and the main two feeders are ones that the crows can’t get into, so there’s still plenty for them :slight_smile:

1 Like