What's outside

Oh, that’s definitely it! :+1: :open_mouth:
Thank you very much, Sue

3 Likes

I love reading this thread, so many fascinating species and so much information! Diolch to all the contributors! :smile:

Here’s a taste of autumn in our garden courtesy of the Japanese Maple…

9 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Cap inc carpiog - shaggy ink cap.

Cwyd ei gwt - Devils coach horse.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes

Great mushroom & the story sounds like it wanted to be noticed! Yn ôl fy llyfr i, according to my book - amanita ddrewllyd. Are they smelly?

This was much greyer than the photo suggests.
I think it is either an amanita vaginata - grisette - grisét or a stubble rosegill - tagell rosliw ben gludiog. Can’t decide. Dwi’n methu penderfynu.

6 Likes

The griset tends to have stiations around perimeter of the cap, so i think the rosegill is more likely.

Heddiw - Today.

Madarch mewndro - Brown roll rim.

Rywogaeth cap llaeth - species of milk cap (suspect woolly milk cap (that is rather wet)).

The milk caps get their name because if you scratch the gills (as per this poor image)
they exude juice that looks like milk.

Madarch y maes - Field mushroom.

Llo
Llo - calf.

Cheers J.P.

5 Likes

Beautiful Dinas Dinlle beach in the sunshine on Sunday. This is looking out towards the Eifl. A refreshing weather change after the storm, though the sea was still very lively. The beach was covered in an interesting array of driftwood and there were many butterflies around.

8 Likes

It has finally turned seasonal for temperatures here. Usually we pass this point at least a couple weeks earlier. But this morning it was below freezing, and the grass was all frosty on top. It turned into a lovely sunny morning which made the lake on the golf course across the street from our house turn very steamy!

7 Likes

This Monarch butterfly was taken near Ottawa about a month ago - it had been downed by strong winds and heavy rain and was just sitting/lying on a tarmac path. We weren’t sure whether it was dead or alive but exhausted, so we set it down in a sheltered spot hoping for the best:

6 Likes

At the beginning of the month, walking along a beach NW Wales (below Nant Gwrtheyrn) I had the luck to see this resting seal (morlo)!:slight_smile:

Unfortunately I’d got too close before I realised it was there, and it lumbered round and into the sea

7 Likes

Kraken
Sgwid mawr - large squid.
The Kraken was mentioned in another thread, here is a photo of a small one i found on the internet .

cheers J.P.

6 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

awyren - aeroplane.

Gwylan benddu - Black headed gull.
(young, they will have black heads by the spring, i like the way wings change shape for different modes of flight).

Cheers J.P.

11 Likes

Heddiw - today.

Enfys a’i adlewyrchiad - Rainbow and it’s reflection.

Cheers J.P.

10 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Dau Coesyn rhychog gwyn - Two white helvella.

Cheers J.P.

7 Likes

I find it hard to work out the Welsh species sometimes.

Squid for example … Sgwid seems to be fine…but there are specific differences which are hard to decipher

For example môr-lawes can also be cuttlefish, a taxonomic rank higher up from squids

1 Like

I’ve also noticed some names for species has gone … dolffin is an old spelling to the 1500s, but why is “hwch” a thing for dolphins in the 1800s? Is this Welsh people trying to create new words? (bathu geiriau newydd?)

2 Likes

Dolphin - morwch.

Cwch - Rhywbeth tebyg i gwch (any thing like a boat).

Seems to be the name for a behive as well,
originally made from reeds/straw, they would have looked like an upside down boat when occupied.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

A sunrise from a few days ago:

The birds seem to be taking large numbers of rowan berries now:

but the nico can’t swallow them whole:

Raymond

8 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Aeron piswydden - spindle tree berries.

Aeron Ywen - yew berries.

deg hwyaden bach - Ten little ducks.

cheers J.P.

7 Likes

Heddiw - Today.

Ymenyn yr eithin - Brain fungus.

Aeron Celynnen - Holly berries.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

We have snow a bit early this season - this is still falling today, and blowing around, and it isn’t the first snow!

7 Likes