Which word for them

Hello pawb,

My question today is …if I want to say ‘them’ (pronoun) it’s ‘nhw’.

E.g

Gadewon nhw (they left)

If I wanted to say that they left the two of them:

Gadewon nhw y dwy ohonyn nhw (they left the both of them)

But how would one say that they left ‘them’ behind when them is no particular quality?

They left them behind? (People, bags,packet of sweets of whatever)

Diolch

Andrew

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it will be nhw.
If you just want “it” you can use hi or fe/o

2 Likes

Hi John

So you think it would be:

Gadewon nhw nhw?

Andrew

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I misread the question.
I think the nearest for the second “them” will be English “those”. So, y rheina/y or y pethau 'na/hynny. Not sure about the people version of them, you are right, it would sound odd without more info. Might need different word order or something to fill in or explain before the 2nd nhw.

1 Like

I think (but I’m not sure - happy to be corrected) that for “They left them behind” using the short form of gadael you could say “Gadawon nhw hwy ar ôl” - hwy is another way of saying them, and two 'nhw’s together sound wrong to me.
To be honest, personally I’d avoid the short form here and use the auxiliary instead - Nathon nhw .adael nhw ar ôl :wink:

2 Likes

@siaronjames @JohnYoung

Hi both. I did look up the word ‘hwy’ as ‘nhw nhw’ just sounds wrong. Also the word ‘ill’ if there were 2 or more people but that seems to only work if you know how many there are. E.g ill tri.

Using rheina makes sense as does avoiding the short form altogether. The only problem there is I’d probably have started the short form already before realising it didn’t sound right!

I appreciate your help with this so thanks again.

Andrew

3 Likes

You will definitely hear people doubling up on pronouns in normal speech, though - gadawon nhw nhw would be pretty clear, even if it wouldn’t win any stylistic prizes… :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks @aran. That’s good to know.

1 Like