Would anyone like to share their duolingo name?

It’s crazy isn’t it?! Still, looking on the bright side, SSiW is proving that where there’s a will there’s always a way to do things more effectively. Buying a tiny cheap mp3 player is a great idea too - so you can listen to your language lessons when doing the cooking or whatever!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a great idea. I’m going to take my iPod to work with me tonight and listen to Challenges. Even though I won’t be always able to say the answers aloud or even think about an answer, I can still listen actively! I’m slowly getting used to the idea that learning a new language can actually be a joy; and that I am allowed to have fun, relax and MAKE MISTAKES while learning.

2 Likes

Nice darts! :grinning:

PS added kudos for the Rush quote tagged to your avatar!

2 Likes

:sparkles::ringer_planet::rose:

Yeah, looks like there was a misunderstanding, but I wouldn’t complain, after all!

Hard for me to tell which song(s) to practice vocab with, but that’s certainly a good one.
I have a few of the lyrics in those records (if you’d like to have them, just ask and I’ll send you the list ).

By the way, I’m not in the Duolingo competition, but what about a song transcription competition? I think it would be fun! :wink:
Obviously for the songs I don’t have lyrics of!

In the 1985-1995 comp, there’s the first song I got slightly obsessed with: I transcribed what I was hearing in a sort of Italian-English-Welsh so that I could memorize the sequence of sounds and I did. :sweat_smile:
A couple of native Welsh were able to figure out the actual words from the nonsense…so hilarious!

1 Like

haha - italwelshglish transcriptions would be great! Have you noticed how many phonetic similarities there are between italian and welsh?
Eg Carw - cervo / mêl - miele etc, etc. And the trilled ‘r’ in italian is VERY useful in pronouncing the welsh ‘r’ too!

I’m totally down for the song transcription competition! I’d love a copy of any transcriptions you’ve already done. :man_dancing:

1 Like

Here’s mine: Caz602895

1 Like

Yes, Italian is very useful for learning Welsh! :smiley:

About transcriptions, there’s two different things I have and used for two different kinds of practice:

1. a pdf file with the actual lyrics I found on Discogs (just a few) and in a booklet I got from the label, with all the songs from Wyau/Pyst and Libertino - that then you’re going to have to buy too. :laughing:

2. my attempts of transcriptions of other songs, that are those I plan to use for the challenge along with more I still haven’t tried to write at all

(BTW after drinking enough gin I read one aloud one to Pat of Datblygu first time I met her. She was really amused and at the same time very impressed, cause most of my italwelshglish was accurate enough to be understood as Welsh words! :rofl:

p.s. sending the list in pvt

1 Like

Wow! Diolch! I’m a bit under the cosh today so will look at this properly yfory!
:nerd_face:

How do you envisage the song transcription challenge working I wonder?

Uhm…I don’t really have a clear idea, just thought it could be fun - a dweud y gwir. :slight_smile:
Let me think about it a bit!

p.s. not sure that “a” makes sense, but that’s the sound that pops up in my mind…!

Hi I’m John311036 but I don’t use it much!!

1 Like

@Telyn_Marco Diolch for sharing the targets and the tick list! I had seen both ages ago and forgotten about them, but I’ve saved them now.

@Telyn_Marco @gisella-albertini I’ve been looking at your posts about the song translation and transcription (I just tried to type dranscription, which when speaking, WOULD be easier after the D in and hahaha :rofl:)… anyway, I had the idea that this activity might be better accomplished as a cooperation rather than a competition. I imagine a dedicated post, as well as a set of Google Docs maybe, where we can share the words we understand with each other and complete them together. I might be able to hear parts you can’t and vice versa, or what you heard might trigger an understanding in my mind of what follows in the next line… Let me know what you think.

As a gesture of goodwill :wink: here is a link to a new song that just came out a few days ago by Gwilym that I’ve been listening to and writing down random words and phrases I hear, (or imagine I do anyway!) in no particular order :sweat_smile: It’s not much to go on and needs a LOT of filling in! :laughing:

\Neidia/ - Gwilym

i wenu (gwenu)
dechrau
deffro
ti’n mwynhau y drama
siŵr
dŵr
seren
lleuad
amser
cai
caru
gweld y bore
y cyfle wedi mynd
lle
cysgu

4 Likes

Great idea there from @sasha-lathrop! As I mentioned in @gisella-albertini 's new topic, I think this would be fun and a very good use of energy! It would also be simple to open it up to all-comers! :man_dancing::nerd_face::100:

1 Like

Also realised this will be infinitely better as much needed practice in recognising the spoken word which, in my case at least, needs to go a little way to catch up with my written comprehension. I’m in! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Here’s a link to @gisella-albertini 's new topic, in case anyone wants to pop on over!

Hi, I’ve just come back to SSiW after an extended break. I have been dabbling with Duolingo over the past year though. My Duolingo name is:

Wendy794356

1 Like

Hiya, I’ve just been adding people on my Duolingo, when I searched for Quamie there were quite a few so please feel free to follow me so that I can follow you (that doesn’t sound creepy at all). I’m Wendy (Wendy794356) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not creepy at all! I added you, thanks!

1 Like

Added! Got quite the little group together now! :grinning:

2 Likes