Y Wennol - Online Welsh Magazine

Thanks, looks very good indeed!

1 Like

brilliant idea - looks great! Sadly I’m not able to understand any of it - yet- emphasis on the word “Yet” - hopefully one day! :grinning:

1 Like

It looks interesting… is it then in ‘ S Welsh grammar? ‘ I can read some Welsh as I do Duolingo… but find switching between N and S Welsh sentence constructions and words very confusing sometimes …

It is in fairly standard written Welsh, more formal than the spoken variety, so not strongly northern or southern.

What is the subscription cost for the magazine?

It’s completely free - yn rhad ac am ddim - as we say in Welsh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch Deborah

Diolch yn fawr- bydd diddorol siwr o fod. I must echo the comment below about the Welsh language in the North and South and West Wales. I am not as gifted in the respective lingos!

We’ve had a lovely message of thanks from Rob, the editor of Y Wennol, and he’d love to get some articles from you!

Thank you SSIW

Thank you to all of you who sent their email addresses to receive Y Wennol each month. I was quite overwhelmed. I know that a lot of it is perhaps a bit difficult but most of the articles have been written by learners who went through the same pain as yourselves and, through contributing articles have quickly moved to higher levels. They’re pushing themselves you see and it would be unfair of me to rein them in. My biggest problem is in getting simple articles, something for new learners. This is where you could come in – why not write me a simple article saying who you are, your likes and dislikes, where you went on holiday – whatever you can cope with. I’ll make sure that everything is correct (if I need to!) so that you can be proud of your work.

You’ll enjoy it and you’ll be using what you’ve learnt and, together we will build up your confidence.

Send it to me – Rob Evans bobwennol@ntlworld.com

Pob hwyl

Rob

3 Likes

I’ve used Y Wennol for about a year, because I can understand quiet a lot, and each month you get a downloadable newsletter

1 Like

An appeal from Rob - Editor of Y Wennol. Who’d like to have a go at writing just a few sentences about themselves in Welsh?

Helo Bawb

Dw i’n dechrau gweithio ar Y Wennol mis Gorffennaf a dw i angen straeon syml, rhywbeth sydd yn dweud pwy ydach chi, ble dach chi’n byw, beth dach chi’n hoffi ac unrhyw beth arall. Mae’r fath yma o stori yn bwysig iawn achos mae’n agor y drws i’r rhai sydd newydd ddechrau, gobeithio wedyn bydden nhw’n parhau i ddarllen Y Wennol a dysgu mwy o eiriau wrth wneud hynny.

Peidiwch â phoeni, byddaf yn gwneud yn siŵr bod popeth yn iawn, y sillafu, y treigladau a phob dim. Byddech yn falch iawn o weld eich stori mewn print a gobeithio byddech yn parhau i gyfrannu.

Diolch yn fawr

Pob hwyl

Rob

Hello Everyone

I am just starting on the Wennol for July and I need some simple stories, something that says who you are, where you live, what you like and anything else you can add. That sort of story is very important because it opens the door to those who are new to learning Welsh, hopefully then they will carry on reading the Wennol and learn more vocabulary by doing that.

Don’t worry, I shall go through everything to make sure that it’s correct, the spelling, the mutations and everything. You will be very proud to see your story in print and, hopefully you will continue to contribute.

Thank you

Send any contributions to bobwennol@ntlworld.com

3 Likes

Rob is again appealing for very short articles for Y Wennol. He specifically wants just a paragraph aimed at the level of a new Welsh reader. It would be great if some of you could commit to doing that from time to time. Here’s what Rob says:

Good morning Everyone

I’m busy preparing the Wennol for October and I am very short of simple articles for those who are at the beginning of their journey through the language. This sort of article:

Fy enw i yw,

dw i’n byw yn,

a dw i wedi bod yn dysgu am

dw i’n hoffi

ac yn y blaen.

I only want one paragraph but it is very important to have this sort of article so that beginners can realise that they can understand a bit of Welsh and perhaps they will then be happy to contribute at that level.

Because the articles are very short I need about 10 each month – at the moment I only have 2.

Send any contributions to bobwennol@ntlworld.com

UPDATE: Rob has had a great response to his appeal for articles, so he has enough for this month, but he needs an ongoing supply, so if you’d like to write something going forward, that would be great!

1 Like

Sent Rob an email yesterday Deborah and replied straight away, really enjoy reading Y Wennol

1 Like

Yes, he’s really enthusiastic and helpful, so do give it a go. I find writing helps my learning process but we’re all different so do whatever works for you. I sent him an article last week about our wonderful weekend (Penwythnos Garddio) recently at Garth Newydd which I think is going in the October issue.

5 Likes

Does anyone have an email address for Bob or Y Wennol? When I tried the links on this page my computer wants me to set up an email account. I already have an email account with my internet provider. If someone could email me on esoteric666@optusnet.com.au I will be very grateful … diolch
David

It’s okay folks, the email is on the front of Y Wennol.

Another appeal for simple articles from Rob:

Thank you very much all of you who responded to my appeal for simple stories for the Wennol a few months ago. I had a brilliant response and enough to fill the two ’beginners pages’ up until the December issue. However I have now run out so can I repeat my request. The kind of article I want is:

Fy enw i ydy … Dw i’n byw yn … Dw i wedi bod yn dysgu Cymraeg ers … Dw i’n hoffi … - and so on.

Of course if you want to write something more ambitious I would welcome that too.

Please send your contribution to bobwennol@ntlworld.com or should you want to be on the list to have the Wennol each month free of charge just send me a request to the same email address.

1 Like

Bob has sent out his online magazine for April with this appeal:

Can I say that I am very short of simple articles for pure beginners, the short ones that say who you are, what you do and so forth. So if you fancy seeing your work in print please send something to me. Don’t worry, I shall make sure that all mistakes are corrected! I will be very grateful.

Is anyone willing to have a go and send something to him for next month? bobwennol@ntlworld.com

I know its not exactly what he’s asking for, but would the postcard short stories (from the club competition) be of interest to him do you think? I think there must have been a fair few of them, and there were some we didn’t see in the forum so it would be cool read what everyone wrote. Just thought if he’s after short form content, theres some there already made.

1 Like

I’m sure it would be! Syniad da! I’ll mention it to Nia. She’ll have to have permission from the authors I imagine.

1 Like