Young SSiW Users

Shwmae! My name is Silas and I just recently joined SSiW. Although I do not live in Wales, this is not my first exposure to Welsh, as I have learned a good deal through Duolingo and books. I am 18 years old, and I have realized that I am quite a bit younger than the average SSiW user, so…Welsh learners under 25, tell me a little bit about yourself! How did you learn about SSiW? What level are you at, how are you liking it, and what is Welsh learning/speaking like in your day-to-day life?
Diolch yn fawr!

3 Likes

Croeso / Welcome Silas!

Kai, (@Novem) was one of the youngest to start learning with SSiW. Originally from Finland, he’s now a full time student at Bangor University in Gwynedd, North Wales. I am sure that he would be more than willing to give you some feedback.

@Karla also started learning with SSiW when she was quite young.

Also, have a look at the following thread with regards to ways in which you can meet other SSiW learners online…

I hope you get some useful feedback soon and all the very best with your journey. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for tagging me @CatrinLliarJones!

I started learning when I was still in school, 15 years old. I found out about SSiW by chance - I just happened to be looking into Iwan Rheon because of Game of Thrones, found out he spoke Welsh (and at the same time found out about the language even existing) and saw a comment somewhere mentioning SSiW. I tried it because why not and since I had lots of time during my summer holidays I just kept going and now I’m 20 and as Catrin said live in Bangor :smile:

It’s been a while obviously so I’m nowhere on the course right now. I haven’t done level 3 since it came out a bit too late for me and I was already pretty confident. I barely speak any languages other than Welsh since moving here aside from some Finnish with my mom and some italian with my dad, and a few words in English when someone can’t speak Welsh, so Welsh has kind of become my main language.

Happy to chat more if you’d like! What’s your story?

11 Likes

Hi, I also do not live in Wales. But my Grandad was Welsh and while on holiday there I thought it sounded epic. I did learn all the way to the end of first SSIW stage (I think 25 challenges) but I dropped it about 2 years ago as I got distracted to other languages ( I spent a year in Bosnia for example). I would love to regain some of it though. I cant have forgotten everything… Good luck with it!

2 Likes