Your first steps - and Welcome to the Million Speakers Project!

Hello I’m in too. I failed to learn Welsh at school and always seemed to be bottom of the class. I felt a failure, but maybe it just wasn’t taught in a way that enabled me to learn? So at 58 Im re trying to learn my language

Hello! Shaun dw i, I’m from the US but I’ll be moving to Bangor in September for a masters degree in Bilingualism. I hope to eventually formally join the Cymraeg 2050 project by using my background in adolescent education and my new degree in Bilingualism (and all the crazy networking I plan to do once I get there :wink: ).

I’m happy we’ve got a section on here for this!

Great idea
Dw’yn dysgi Cymraeg am biti dau mis

Helo!

Hello! I support!

Hello

Hello!

Helo!

Hello,
What an inspirational target of 1 million welsh speakers by 2050
I hope I live long enough to see the target achieved

Hello! I’d love to join

Hello I would like to join!!

Hello, I’m in - ready to support this project from my position as a Loegr-dweller with little knowledge of how things work in Cymru. Happy to contribute to ideas, discussion and any armchair actions that would help!

Helo.

Prynhawn da pawb. Saranne ydw i. Dw i’n mwyn dysgu siarad Cymraeg!

It’s been far too long and I have let my school girl Welsh skills slip which I am slightly ashamed about, but I am glad to be back!

Hi, I am interested in this project. I think one barrier to enthusing people about learning Welsh is the commonly held belief (at least outside of Wales) is that Welsh is a dead/dying language that only pensioners in the remote deep rural areas speak. Today I was asked “So what is the deal with learning Welsh then cos you’re not really going to be able to speak it, since nobody really uses it anymore”.

I myself mistakenly believed that despite having been to Wales numerous times and seen Welsh road signs, cafe signs, leaflets etc everywhere, having overheard locals speak Welsh and having watched a Welsh first language Big Brother contestant struggle to understand his English housemates and have to converse in Welsh with the other Welsh speaking housemate!

It was only when I started learning Welsh out of curiosity (assuming it was some obscure language that barely anybody would know) did I realise that it was the first language for a lot of people and a second language for many Welsh natives.

Also I think if the Welsh language was normalised by celebrities and used openly in UK media (outside of Wales in particular) it would showcase the language and make it more appealing.

3 Likes