Booking: Tresaith Bootcamp, April 2015

I’m sure you’re meant to be on the northern Bootcamp, aren’t you?! [tuts]

3 Likes

the more cakes the better!

2 Likes

Now I’m beginning to do a bit more planning for Saturday, I have a couple of questions.

I have the postcode of the centre, but I can’t seem to find any actual directions. I think I’ll be able to drive to Tresaith (and there seems to be one main road in to the village), but then what? Will it just be blindingly obvious when we get there?

Is there a landline no. there for emergencies? (Spouse is fretting about the possibility of domestic emergencies + no mobile signal…)

This is the left-hand turn you need to take as you start to go down the steep hill into the village itself (the centre is the last building on the left):

There is a landline in the centre - I can’t remember it off the top of my head, but I’m sure @Iestyn will be able to find it out for you :sunny:

For emergencies, my phone signal BT / Vodaphone) is fine, other providers can be very patchy. That means that if everyone has my mobile for emergency contact. then if they try to contact another phone and it doesn;t work, they can get me. For less than life threatening emergencies, a text message will get through to most phones sometime during the day, as we will be out and about everyday, and once you’re up on the top main road (or even at the top of the steps by the ganolfan for some), there is siganl for just about everyone.

If anyone gets to Tresaith and can’t ind the ganolfan, go down to the shop by the beach. The car park beside the shop is where we park, and the people in the shop will point out the ganolfan at the top of the long, steep steps. Don;t panic, you can drive there, and some will be able to park, but looking at Aran’s picture from Google above, the ganolfan (the end building on the left) will sleep 10 of us, another 5 or 6 people (at least 4 cars) in the stone cottage next door, and I think two flats in the closes building, mean that parking is not practical for us all.

2 Likes

Postcodes are of limited use in rural wales. If you have a satnav which accepts GPS coordinates, then 52.134312, -4.515618 will get you to within a few metres/yards.

If not, choose your favourite online directions finder (I use google maps), enter these coordinates in the search box, look for “find directions” or similar then enter the address you’re coming from

Here’s the postcode for the village pub, SA43 2JL, it’s one hundred yards before this on the left. Just tried with, AA route planner and it’s accurate.

So: drive up to the ganolfan to unload, then move car down the hill and park by the shop. Check.

Thanks for all the advice. Just have to get my desk cleared and pack and I’m good to go!

Ooh just look at the view down the lane to the sea! (Failing to quash an unattractive attack of ‘green with envy’!!) Have a brilliant time, all of you!

1 Like

Well it’s true we have the sea, but if we try to escape they have ways of bringing us back …

Well, chwarae teg, that’s Portmeirion, but I’m sure the same system is in operation in Tresaith …

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what the linking up of the llwybr arfodir was all about … it’s there to keep people in Wales.

2 Likes

Well, next bootcamp underway tomorrow and I’m getting into packing mode - or do I mean panic mode? Maybe this sick feeling is excitement?

Looking forward to seeing you all in Tresaith.

1 Like

Yes, panicking now.
Better think about starting packing I suppose … :slight_smile:

We’re all going to be fine… :slight_smile:

Leaving in half an hour, via Wonderwool in Builth Wells. See you all later on.

Wishing you all a great time! Whose actually attending the camp? Margaret, Mike, Steve and Sara, I see but who else?

I’m bringing Elizabeth also, and I think Polly’s coming?

All packed now. Just need a shower then load the car, then pick up the others and we’re off!

Most excited…

Helen is coming as well…

Bag packed… Not long now until Sara comes by and then it’s all happening!

1 Like

Well, duw duw! What an adventure! Home in the bosom of my family, slipping in and out of Cymraeg and starting to process an extraordinary and also, strangely ordinary week…ie doing ordinary holiday things in very familiar places, in welsh and feeling ok ( most of the time) about it!
Just want to say a big diolch to all the other folk who were up for jumping in and using the language and the incredible patience we all displayed with ourselves and each other as we scrambled around to make our selves understood and to listen to others…it was incredible how the different abilities blended, how everyone, no matter what their “level” of welsh was, were able to teach others something.
also, of course to Iestyn and Cat for their humour, laid-back-ness and graft…and thanks for bringing the children…i thoroughly enjoyed myself with your children and also learnt alot from them.

…results ive already noticed - that i whizzed through the gwers i had started on when i started bootcamp…talking to myself on the bus home today i impressed myself ( not sure the lady in the seat next to me was quite so impressed with me chatting to myself about body parts for an hour)
- that i instantly spoke in welsh and stuck to it when i met an ex colleague from work in town who is first language…she was shocked and really pleased as last time id seen here i didnt speak welsh.
- that i need to welsh up my music collection - thanks helen for some great ideas on what music to get !
- that the singing session in tafarn eryr was flippin awesome and i actually had a little weep when i was telling my family about it…very special experience for which i will be permanently grateful…

so farewell to my fellow bootcampers…diolch for the penderyn, the laughs and the support…

8 Likes

Just back myself. All that is said above and more, that sure was fun and thanks for putting up with my antics.
To give readers an idea of how difficult bootcamp can be, here is a picture of some campers queuing for ice cream.

Yeah, it can be tough. back soon with more about the week.

Cheers J.P.

8 Likes