My challenges

One before last …

Meddyliau wythnos - Dydd 6 - Dydd Sadwrn, Tachwedd 28, 2015

Meddyliau wythnos - Dydd 6

Thoughts about learning Cymraeg and how it would be learning Slovene SSi way …

That was hard and (I confess) I have got a lot of help with use of geriaidur and google translate to determine did I do at least a bit OK. What isn’t OK (what I believe is most of it) I deliberately left as it is to be on my level of knowledge (even that is beyond it enough already though) rather then parrot writing/copy-pasting the things written in Google translate.

2 Likes

Here’s the last entry of The Challenge number 10

Meddyliau wythnos - Dydd 7 - Dydd Sul, Tachwedd 29, 2015

Meddyliau wythnos - Dydd 7

This time there are some thoughts about colors and what they mean to me. The picture also created by me with FlamePainter.

So, this is it. I’ve completed Challenge 10. If it was successufl one or not I can’t tell but I know I would have to do it better. In a time I might improove that much to do it as it should be but until then … it just will have to be …

2 Likes

Looking forward to testing it next year… :sunny:

1 Like

Would be glad to help (if you don’t have someone\ssomething else in miind already though).

1 Like

Challenge Number 11

@brigitte gave me magnificent site with the crosword in Cymraeg and there’s daily crosword so just had some fun with today’s one. I won’t blaf that I didn’t use dictionary for some words and some I just tried to guess. It’s not hard to see if you’re right or wrong since wrong letters are written red but this is still a bit fun way to learn Welsh words. Here’s the proof I’ve solved today’s crosword “in style” - hehe …

Tomorrow I go for another one.

2 Likes

Nothing important right now. I’m just updating this thread adding links to some challenges I’ve got during last 6 or so months. They’re all described in another threads so here I’ll put only links so that I don’t repeat myself and waste any more servers’ space then needed (hehe).

Challenge Number 12 - A visit from Cymru and 4 hours of Cymraeg in a day.

Briefly for all those who missed it (haha, I was so pushy with publishing the happenings that I doubt anybody could miss that :slight_smile: ). In April this year @margaretnock visited me in my little country Slovenia and the first day of her visit we had lovely 4 hours chat in almost exclusively Cymraeg while walking around in Ljubljana. It’s everything in the topic/post given the link above and also everything else about her visit in Slovenia.

Challenge Number 13 - I’ve met Mr. Simon Brooks

It was the opportunity which I might never have in my life again and since event which I’ve attended was in Ljubljana, what is not so far from me, I just had to grab the opportunity and go. I actually didn’t hope I’ll manage to say at least a sentence or two in Cymraeg with Simon Brooks but if you push a challenge a bit further and make the opportunity for things to happen, then all is possible one way or another. How it all went you can read clicking on above link.

But now there are new challenges infront of me, this time not caused by any promisse of doing this or that if one (eventually Welsh rugby team was guilty for many of them) does this or that, but they were rather set by (let’s say) destiny. First of such challenge is known and in preparation of it I write some texts on Facebook (mostly) completely in Cymraeg (texts read as posts :slight_smile: ) but for getting into Cymraeg even more firmly I’m planing to do the whole month of writings on my blog. I did this once before already for a week and it would be really interesting to know if there’s any improvement from then and now. I might have stored some more words, phrases and what’s more to it in my brains and I tend to do much more complex writing, maybe even short inserts of my in Slovene written stories translated into Cymraeg. The theme would probably be choosen daily following the feelings but I’m not sure yet. So 1st July is the day I begin and I’ll try to continue this way all the way until 31 July even during the biggest challenge in Cymraeg and in general of my life which is set to encounter me at the end of July.

This much for now. I won’t say more at the moment but stay tunned to this topic or misterious new one … who knows. And you might sneak into my Blog yng Nghymraeg checking for a new posts or reading old ones if you didn’t read them yet. But I warn you! Nothing is perfect there especially regarding written language. I’ve written as if I’d talk and I’m not particular storyteller in Cymraeg yet. :slight_smile:

Tan o tro nesa!
Hwyl!
Tatjana
:slight_smile: :smile: :blush:

1 Like

Well, here we go. No I didn’t forget about my promise it’s just that these 3 days were really busy with planning and buying all travelling tickets etc that I literally ran out of time to write anything and at 2 am or so … well you know what happens - if you don’t go to bed you’re sleeping behind your computer. - LOL

I’m behind the schedule now and I’ll try to write 2 more blogs later today, but, whatever, here the challenge of the whole month writing in Cymraeg begins.

Challenge number 14 - Before Bootcamp 1 month challenge - The whole months of writing

Cyn Bwtcamp un mis her - dydd 1 - Bydd rhywun yn pinsied fi felly bydda i’n gwybod dw i ddim yn breuddwydio?

The writing is still short and very simple and, of course, it’s about comming to Bootcamp at the end of July. Yah, I am still like in a dreams but due to all quick planning and searching for accomodation after the Bootcamp I just had to “wake up” and organize myself so that everything would go as smoothly as possible as being unexperienced in travelling like I am it can very easily go something wrong …

In each post there surely will be many feelings involved but I’ll, from now on, try to focus on the happenings of the day or something like that. For now I’m writing a blog trying to think yn Cymraeg while I’m writing rather then having text in my head in Slovene or English translating it into hen iaith. I’m still searchig for the words in Geriadur or with Google translate but many of words I search for only to spell them right rather then needing to determine what they mean. The language is (still) very simple with a lot of Wnes i and stuff rather then On i’n … but all this month of writings is aimed to improve my vocabulary, way of talking (rather then writing though) and enables me to really think in Cymraeg and not translating. If anything goes toward improvement some of you will see when we meet at the Bootcamp though.

I tend to go on with lessons aswell but with just ordinary daily schedule and will not do any special repetition or something like that. And, if I’ll get the time and go really “nuts” then it can very well happen you’ll hear/see me reading my blog writings aswell so that everyone will “benefit” (if my simple thingys one can benefit from at all) from what I’m doing.

This is basically it. I hope you’ll at least a bit enjoy my (silly - hehe) writings.

Tan o dydd ac her nesa … :slight_smile:

Oh, and, by the way, there’s a picture @margaretnock talked about in “Any Eisteddfod 2016 SSiW meetup…” topic.

1 Like

Da iawn, Tatjana! Wnes i mwynhau darllen ei ysgrifen hi. Byddi di’n mynd i’r Bwtcamp! Dw i’n hapus iawn i ti! :slight_smile: :tada: :rocket:

(I decided the rocket represents travel, the fact that your Welsh is going to rocket forward, and shooting for the stars! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Thank you @AnnaC. Well, you actually never know what might happen. Until now I’m in a VERY positive mood and I of course intend to be. I have slight problems with staying in Cardiff after Bootcamp but I’ve just found another accomodation and hope the owner responds to me.

Plans are going well so far and the most tricky thing is now to come there to London and the post-bootcamp time. :slight_smile:

Dw i’n credu am y gorau!

2 Likes

Still behind the schedule but well, I’m doing things somehow. So here it is the second entry of my blog

Cyn Bwtcamp un mis her - dydd 2 - Hanner nos …

It’s still somehow related to previous topic - going to bootcamp but here I spread the thoughts more about how unexperienced I am as a traveller.

There surely are lot of things put together wrongly but I hope you’d understand it anyway. .

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Oh oh, now I’m 2 days behind the schedule but I might make up when I will be home in approximately 2 weeks just before flying to Cymru … Yes if someone still didn’t hear, I’ll see the day of my dreams … comming to Cymru and taking a part in Bootcamp. But this is not the theme of the entry from Sunday, but rather something completely different, something what you might not expect from one (almost) 50 years old woman … Let’s see what this is all about then.

Cyn Bwtcamp un mis her - dydd 3 - Gemau wneud yn glou

Yes, who clicked and read at least a bit, that one knows this time I went out of forum, Cymraeg or whatever borders … It is gaming, games and gamers what’s this theme all about and the main thing about this - charity.

I have to admit that writing this piece of article was really hard as there are many words I had to look up into geriadur for and then there is quite challenging how to form sentences to properly tell what you want to tell. I am aware there are so many mistakes and twists that if one would do a correction it would be full of red signs all around but the challenge of searching for the words was good enough to give it a try.

And why gaming? Well about this maybe one another time, might be soon - yn Cymraeg of course.

2 Likes

Tatjana, I am so pleased you can come over. If you manage to get anywhere north tell me and I will try and get over and say hi! You are going to have a blast! :smiley:

2 Likes

thank you for your kind message.

Unfortunately I’ll be at South end this time since I have only about a week and a half of time. It might be I will never be able to come back again, but you never know what happens and that time I just should visit Northern part of Cymru too.

And here we go for my challenge whch is (obviously) not going too well. 5 days in delay I hardly doubt I’ll manage to get everything under my belt until the end of the month but I’ll try hard at least until bootcamp begins.

It’s 4th day of the challenge I’m presenting here so here’s the link to my entry from then:

Cyn Bwtcamp un mis her - dydd 4 - Mae ffrind gyda fi …

I have a friend … one of the best (in real life what means I see her daily). We are friends, working team at work, companions despite we’re living quite away from each-other and we see us only at work. We’re very common souls, so common that sometimes we don’t need words to know what each of us is thinking. This comes handy especially at work.

Well, it’s not all written in this blog entry as this would be really challenging for me and I have to admit I’m running out of time at the end of the day to do everything I want to do or I have to do so writing comes the last and finds me very tired already when I am beginning to write.

So, here’s just a little entry about my friend as she celebrated her birthday on 4th July. The entry doesn’t tell much though for what i appologize. Will do better with next one. If you’d understand what I’m trying to say with this writing it will be huge acheavement for me already. :slight_smile:

Enjoy reading anyway.

1 Like

And here’s another one.

Cyn Bwtcamp un mis her - dydd 5 - Mellt siasio

Strange, isn’t it? But yes, I’ve practically chased the lightnings, standing by the kitchen window with my camera at ready however …

Well, I won’t spoil the reading so go ahead and read the whole thing. I hope it’s written understandably enough for all to understand what I’m trying to say though.

But for the taste of it, here’s the best of my “artwork”. :slight_smile:

And don’t worry, it didn’t strike into the house, it just went behind it somewhere. :slight_smile:

I will try to write today’s entry too so that I would be in accordance to time but I’d rather make no promise on that though.

4 Likes

Challenge 14 obviously doesn’t go too well so let’s jump a bit into the “future” to next challenge. This one was literally about speaking in the wild so yes … here we go with

Challenge number 15 - "Bore da. Dw i’n galw o Slofenia …"

Approximately that’s how my call to Menter Caerdydd started today. I tried to get information how to buy/get bus tickets for Eisteddfod from Slovenia but instead … I’ve bought them - all in Cymraeg.

Before I called I was a bit nervous, looking at my phone and thinking: “should I call or should I not call? Ah, I’d rather write an e-mail. But then again … what if it gets lost in this e-world and I don’t have quite a lot of time anymore? No, Tatjana, you should call! Period!” And I called … :slight_smile:

Well, to be honest, since giving all sorts of important data and numbers I’ve checked all information yn Saesneg at the end just to make sure I’ve understood and given everything correctly. Giving data was real challenge as I never thought of how to spell letters in Cymraeg in particular, so I kindly asked kind lady at the other side of the line (yn Cymraeg) if I can spell in English. Of course I also kindly asked her if she’d speak more slowly (thank you for that lesson somewhere in old course) and slowly was really slowly what she spoke.

I’ve also put some questions along but ---------- ah, forgetful me --------------- I didn’t ask the main thing, if tickets are to be used for return drive aswell. @sarapeacock kindly answered this qestion on here (in another thread) for me aswell.

The ice is broken I’d say so the adventure begins … .

4 Likes

Da iawn ti! :slight_smile: :star:

1 Like

Diolch! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bet the person on the other end of the phone was well chuffed (= wrth ei fodd / ei modd) to have had the chance to speak with a learner from Slovenia. Da iawn ti!

I don’t suppose you happened to find out what happens with the bus, did you? Does one just turn up or will there be tickets? (I bought mine on line, so didn’t have the chance to ask sensible questions…)

2 Likes

I’ve asked where I get tickets and she said I will just be on the list and that’s why she wanted to know all my data from e-adress to phone number and I payed during the conversation already giving her my card numbers. She told me she’d get in touch with me via phone a week before (what is presumably a week when I’ll be (or finish) at the bootcamp, to confirm the whole thing.

About me being from Slovenia I didn’t sense she would be particularly surprised. I felt more like she’d deal with such things every single day (which i almost know she doesn’t). She asked her co-workers some details regarding paying tickets from Slovenia and she had to do some trick with postal code so that my payment would be accepted by the “machine” at all.

But the conversation was nice in deed.

I don’t know though if my answer about tickets can be helpful to your situation though but that’s the answer I’ve got what might be I’m special case being/living abroad. :slight_smile:

2 Likes