Proper Welsh speakers, please help with sleuthing a song

Hi,I’m trying to work out an artist/song from a radio broadcast but I’m not good enough to understand enough of the lyrics for googling or whether it was mentioned by the announcer after being played (I’m not sure it even was, but what would I know!). I suspect it might be a well known band.

The song begins at the 29.20 mark of this episode (the timeline selector tool is on the bottom of the page).

Radio D Menter Iaith Abertawe - 3/3/2019

If anyone can give me a clue that would be great. Regards

1 Like

S’mai. That would be the incomparable Dafydd Iwan singing Yma O Hyd.
LYRICS

Dwyt ti’m yn cofio Macsen,
Does neb yn ei nabod o;
Mae mil a chwe chant o flynyddoedd
Yn amser rhy hir i’r cof;
Pan aeth Magnus Maximus o Gymru
Yn y flwyddyn tri-chant-wyth-tri,
A’n gadael yn genedl gyfan
A heddiw: wele ni!

Ry’n ni yma o hyd,
Ry’n ni yma o hyd,
Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth,
Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth
Ry’n ni yma o hyd.
Ry’n ni yma o hyd,
Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth,
Ry’n ni yma o hyd.

Chwythed y gwynt o’r Dwyrain,
Rhued y storm o’r môr,
Hollted y mellt yr wybren
A gwaedded y daran encôr,
Llifed dagrau’r gwangalon
A llyfed y taeog y llawr
Er dued yw’r fagddu o’n cwmpas
Ry’n ni’n barod am doriad y wawr!

Cofiwn i Facsen Wledig
Adael ein gwlad yn un darn
A bloeddiwn gerbron y gwledydd
‘Mi fyddwn yma tan Ddydd y Farn!’
Er gwaetha pob Dic Sion Dafydd,
Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a’i chriw
Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser
A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!

Songwriters: dafydd iwan

4 Likes

Thanks for that! And the lyrics too. I can now look for more material from that guy, great vocalist.

That guy is also the former president of Plaid Cymru as well as the founder of Sain Records.
https://sainwales.com/en/artists/dafydd-iwan
Champion of the Welsh language campaign and general national treasure.

1 Like

Looks like a patriotic man. I’ll look through the catalogue … good to see no rap/hiphop category off the bat …

some rap/hiphop can be found under pop/rock :wink:

Lots of versions on YouTube as well. As @Sean-O says, a national treasure.

1 Like

Oh dear. I should have known something dark lurked there as soon as I saw the Teletubbies …

:joy::joy::joy:

I look forward to finding some interesting musicians, I never had access to this music until recently.

That explains the recognition gap, then. There is a plethora of options available to you.
You may also like Rhydian Roberts, I think, along with Gwenan Gibbard (Sidan Glas is my favourite album of hers) and Calan Is a revivalist group that covers a lot of musical ground. Several members also have Welsh hard-shoe which warmed my heart.
Perhaps this thread should be traipsed through:

This one:

And this one in particular:

Lot of hwyl!

1 Like

Thanks for those. Yeah, I’m in Australia. I’ve had a little trouble finding online archived radio podcasts in Welsh that didn’t look like mainstream pop stations, but came across some eventually. I actually would like to find some vintage radio if anybody knew of a collection somewhere.

I have an interest in British trad folk in general so I knew a little Welsh folksong and classical but the only ‘contemporary’ group I’d listened to was Fernhill. I think Irish and Scottish music probably tends to dominate searches in the English language portal as far as folk based styles go.

1 Like

Hey @robbruce Any ideas on this need for vintage? :+1:

Not sure about vintage radio online, but while I have a think about that, you might find this sight worth a browse (it also has further links in it e.g. on the ‘tunes’ page)

3 Likes

If you mean vintage radio in the (American, usually) sense of recordings of old radio shows, then I’m afraid I don’t know of anything. I’m unaware of any private collectors of this kind of stuff, and the few enthusiasts I know work for either Radio Cymru or S4C so have access to the official archives of those bodies, negating the need to collect privately.

2 Likes

I suppose I meant just any recordings of old radio, for the talking/dialogue, radio plays would be good too but I’m not really aware of what’s out there, I couldn’t find anything on archive.org. It’s partly for the convenience of being able to download the files for use.

It depends how old you mean by ‘old radio’. If you’re wanting it more for the dialogue, then there are podcasts from Beti a’i Phobl that go back years and she interviews some very interesting people https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007rkcw/episodes/downloads

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll bookmark that, there’s a lot of convo there