Return to Bootcamp?

That’s very kind, and of course I know it’s going to take a lot of planning so no rush! I did wonder if Llety arall would be ready as accommodation for some of us, as I know you mentioned before it would be perfect for a bootcamp.

2 Likes

Yup - we’ve promised to do a bootcamp there as soon as they’re up and running, to help get them some early trade - and I’m certainly hoping they’ll be ready by the party weekend… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The short answer is yes, having just returned from my second bwtcamp.

I did feel a little bit of a “traitor” after doing the “Northern” bwtcamp last year, but it was fun to explore using and learning some Southernisms, like Gallu, it’s just fitting them into my own personal dialect. Yet its probably also good to realise that Aran isn’t a god and Iestyn has some very interesting things to say about the Welsh language too.
It wasn’t the huge trans-formative experience of the first bwtcamp where I went from lacking confidence in using Welsh to becoming a speaker. However I think it was more enjoyable, simply because my brain wasn’t melting all the time.
The other difference was instead of asking people to explain things to me in different ways until I understood, i spent more time doing the explaining. There is a real art to explaining things and it is a skill worth developing for me in both Welsh and English.
It was still tiring, but this time it was perhaps because the weather was so hot, rather than staying in Welsh being difficult.
I understood a lot more of what was going on this time, especially when out in the wild listening to non-bwtcamp Welsh speakers. Maybe it was that Ceredigion folks accent is easier to understand than that of Caernarfon, but i expect it was because my listening skills have improved over the last year.
Really every bwtcamp is just a hugely enjoyable experience, as every time there is a wonderful mixture of different people all positive about using their Welsh. Though i am now a Welsh speaker there are those who have been learning Welsh for just 3 months on the 6 month intensive course (you know who you are!) and I kept forgetting that as there Welsh was so good!
I’m sure I’ll have more thoughts to share when I’ve had some time to unpack the experience and my bags.

8 Likes

Speaking of @dinas I’ve not seen him on the forum for ages and ages…

Speaking of @dinas I’ve not seen him on the forum for ages and ages…

It appears that his last post on the forum was in Dec '16, but if @dinas is reading this, I’d like to send him my best wishes. We spent some good times together on more than one bootcamp. :smile:

1 Like

On the subject of a Return to Bwtcamp, I have just put a Returners’ Long Weekend up for discussion, but in 2 weeks time…

Worth a look?

1 Like

Another time I’d be there, sounds like a great idea. Sadly that weekend is out though

Playing catch-up… has this party also got something to do with the 10th anniversary for SSiW—or are folks partying all the time? Either way, good on yer mates!

However, I was reading another thread that mentioned 2020–maybe it is totally unrelated, but since that marks a significant birthday for me I thought I could dust off my piggy bank and start saving my pennies now…

:pig2:

3 Likes

Yes, there is an idea to have some kind of bwtcamp associated with the 10th birthday party, which will be next year - 2019.

Be great to see you here any time you can make it @MarilynHames!

2 Likes

Yup, the party next year is our 10th birthday… so we’re aiming to make it particularly memorable… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@aran I remember you saying last year that combining the bwtcamp with the party in the same week wasn’t such a great idea and caused you (or possibly Catrin ) a lot of stress!

1 Like

Yeah, it was completely manic and thoroughly insane. This time round, we’re going to have the Bootcamp after the party, and it’s going to be a ‘free’ Bootcamp (ie only accommodation costs) where we basically all recover from the party together, and people are there for the company rather than expecting us to be doing the whole non-stop-tour-guide thing…:wink:

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll see him on here any time soon either.

So … the perfect kind of bootcamp, I would love to be part of this (Could I? Should I?).

Yes and yes.

Just confirmed that we can use Llety Arall for this, as long as we don’t mind that they’ll still be in the middle of making improvements to the non-bedrooms part of it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t, turns out we’re going on holiday a couple of weeks later :smirk:. The party, however, is still on. :slight_smile:

Er… annnnnd? [puzzled]

I know, right? I only get two blocks off in the summer and I always take one in August which includes Trace’s birthday and a trip to the Eisteddfod. Summer for holiday purposes is classed as June-September so it’s bootcamp OR family holiday.

I know you’re still going to say “Er… annnnnd? [puzzled]” :wink:

:wink:

It’ll annoy my co-workers but it may be a go for this … is a “pencil in” a possibility?

1 Like