Tatjana - progress reports

Don’t know. It won’t let me do just OK either. Or OK! :grinning:

Yah, clever software … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t need to but I JUST HAVE TO! write this down as I’m so amazingly happy that I might burn out of all positive energy I’m radiating just right now.

I just had a lovely conversation with @stella about almost an hour in Cymraeg and then some more in English. First of all (because I know she wouldn’t say this in a million years!) she speaks Cymraeg very well! We didn’t even search for words in our minds talking to each other and we perfectrly understood each other. So Stella you do it just great! (Paid dweud bod ti ddim yn siarad yn da, plis!).

Then I’m reading here on this forum about successfully going through the lessons of Cymraeg by quite some people but the most inspirational at the moment surely are @MarilynHames and @chris. YAY! I’m so happy for you and for you all who are doing great!

Well, this prolog is not without purpose here though …

I don’t know what magic wand (or whatever) @aran had that evening we have spoken but since then everything is way easier. No, it’s not easier to learn, listen, understand … this is still the same with many of the same mistakes and whatever comes to it but it’s easier to deal with mistakes, with banishing that perfectionist in me, with doing some more lessons and other things. This forum became my home and you, wonderful people became my (second) family regardless does one like me or not. And I’d like to say big HUGE!!! THANK YOU! Aran. And big thank you to all of you who bear with me on here even when I was not the most friendly and just didn’t let you convince me what now is obvious - I was too hard on myself and with that too hard on some of you aswell.

I still can’t speak Cymraeg as good as I’d like to - this will come in time I’m sure - but everything what I’ve once dreamd about - to speak one of those languages which are not “World number 1” by the population it speaks it - is comming true, and all thanks to you all.

Gee! I’ll explode out of my joy!

Diolch i chi bawb am popeth! Diolch yn fawr iawn! :smiley:

10 Likes

Tatjana, thank you so much!:slight_smile: I’ve enjoyed our conversation immensely, also because you have always been a source of inspiration for me, with your determination and your love for Cymraeg, so I was secretly hoping we might have a conversation one day.

3 Likes

And we did! YAY! :smiley: (oh I love this smily with wide opened eyes. It’s me!)

1 Like

Hi Tatjana, I’m happy that you see (and admit ) what many people have told you before: you can speak Cymraeg and you do speak Cymraeg, if you only allow yourself to be not perfect.
I noticed the last three times, when we had out chats, that you speak more, much more than before and that you stick to Cymraeg and don’t switch to English. So whatever Aran did, it was really magical (and it worked over 1.000 miles)

3 Likes

Wow Tatjana, I teared-up (with happiness) reading this explosion of good feeling. Your obvious joy is sending waves of positive energy in all directions–it has reached the West Coast of Canada to greet us on this grey, misty morning, sending a ray of sunshine.

I am on a retreat right now, staring out onto a lake surrounded by huge fir trees that disappear into the mist (one f those ‘thin places’ embedded in the Celtic psyche). A fish surfaces to say ‘bore da’ and like you it sends out ripples in ever increasing circles that the scientists tell us will reach the furthest shores of the lake. A fitting metaphor for the energy you drop into the heart of this forum that circles the world.

Well, back to my spiritual boot camp–funny, I came here to do one thing, but impetuously have spent an intensive time with Welsh, and on this forum. Guess what? I found what I was hoping to find and better. So back to the big city in an hour or two, refreshed and happy.

Diolch yn fawr.

5 Likes

This is how I feel.

(It’s not can Cymraig though (and let me be excused for that) but famous “Happy” song however not original but rather sung by one young Slovenian a-capella group called XXL band. Hope it brings sunshine to all!)

<size=4>(Umm … well, I don’t know if posting such content is allowed here though. If not, moderators please delete it or instruct me to delete it myself. Thank you.)

3 Likes

Yes, it will. :sunny:

And if you’ve now found that faith, it will keep you going through the hard times :star: :star2:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn @aran. Hope hard times will not come so quickly though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did Vocab lesson 7 of Course 1 today and I can be prety satisfied with the outcome - 58 % correct but I have a question now which bothers me already for quite a long time but now i finally have enough of these wonderings …

Where to put “i” infront of the verb and where not?

For example in the lesson it’s said “Mae’n amser mynd ond mae hi ddim wedi dihuno.”
I’m constantly saying “Mae’n amser i fynd ond mae hi ddim wedi dihuno”.

Oh, but I just got the idea that there’s no “i” in the sentence because there’s no subject after the verb and there’s no “mend i” thingy in it either. Do I think in right direction?

You’d hear plenty of people say that too… :sunny:

It’s usually a bit easier to think of ‘i’ with the word in front of it - so ‘mynd i’, for example - but of course it doesn’t map neatly to English, so it’s one of those that will only really come from exposure (lots of listening, lots of talking) :sunny:

Happy songs are happiness-making, no matter what language-- the more the merrier. It made me happy.

Of course, no Welsh choir can resist the profound beauty of a minor key–it is in the blood, but there are happy songs too… There must be…

Calling all Welsh singers who ‘canu yn aml’, let’s have a list, or websites, or artists we can follow… Those of us less steeped in the culture, ancient or modern, have some happy homework to do :smiley:

Diolch Tatjana for starting this off and making my day.

1 Like

@MarilynHames you already have the topic “Welsh music”. Will edit this post to add a link later as I’m in the middle of something right now. In the mean time you can also cruise forum and find it for yourself. There are many good songs inthere, Plenty to listen to.

Happy listening.

EDIT

Added a link to the topic.

2 Likes

Got it! Diolch eto Tatjana. It is great to have a guide like you when everything is so newydd I fi :footprints:

1 Like

No problem @MarilynHames.

1 Like

I’m really glad your pushing through those road blocks and making time to chat to people in Cymraeg @tatjana .
I’m going to have to pluck up the courage once I’ve finished the next level. It’s funny, I can present to 500 people without breaking a sweat, but I get quite shy when talking to people one on one (even in English!). I’ll have to break out of my comfort zone if I want to improve later down the line.

Keep up the good work and thanks for always encouraging us newbies :smile:

Thanks to @aran too for always reminding everyone to believe in themselves when things get tough.

3 Likes

I rather not think what huge amount of belief he had to put in me … Happily enough I was determined enough, despite my moaning and sometimes mean attitude towards all, to push further and obay @aran’s instructions no matter I sometimes didn’t quite believe this could work. Endless gratitude from my end for his effort which could never be entirely repaid.

And here were all the rest, who kept me convincing I’m doing well, I can speak, I am able to speak Cymraeg with others … Even if I didn’t want to admit it, they kept me believing in myself deep inside me. I could write one big bolded DIOLCH across the whole forum and it would never be big enough.

For the return I’m glad that now I also can encourage people, get them to push on, never denying my mistakes and bad attitude, convincing others not to do the same mistakes I did.

So, you’re welcome @chris and you’re welcome all the rest who find encouragment and inspirations in my posting whtsoever. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

O_o @elizabeth_j_corbett_ … I don’t really know why I’ve missed the dates but I was 100 % sure you’ve written you’d be at home form 7 October on … Oh, now I’ve missed everything and messea everything at the same time … I’m sorry … After tomorrow <you probably are not at home at the evenings anymore, are you? Oh, and …“home” is still UK, ksn’t it?

No Tatiana. The fault is with me. I am hopeless with dates. Added to which I have very poor WIFI at the moment. :frowning: Do you want to try this Tuesday 10th? At what time? You let me know. I’m going to try to private message you my email address.

1 Like