Volunteer '5 Minute' Listeners

I’m thinking Google/Slack for the ‘arrange it’ plus appear.in (or Slack private channels) for the 5 minutes… maybe worth running a couple of ‘how does it work?’ tests in the next couple of weeks…

1 Like

I’m happy to listen to new learners too.

1 Like

Yes, but you have to be a paying subscriber to have entire history if not the history vanishes at one point of the time Exampke is Video team channel where there’s no history anymore as it wasn’t active for quite some time. However, maybe @aran as SSiW Slack admin can still access it though, I don’t know that.

Yes, I have. Just written a greeting. :slight_smile: I’m not sure if it’s generally seen. One more thing I didn’t deal with a lot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d be happy to listen; I can’t promise I’d be very useful but I suppose they might get some practice responding to “Be? ma flin 'da fi, chlywes i ddim be ddwedest ti”! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just getting my read round this… level 3- do I record to soundcloud? How does this work?

It should be live 5 minute session when a beginner or that one who needs some boost in their confidence of speaking to strangers in Welsh and experienced learner/speaker/listener meet, the first one mostly speaking, the second one mostly listening (at least it is how I understand the things). It should be on Hangout and the link is published somewhere some posts up, but actually the things weren’t finalized as how this will actually word yet (or I’ve missed something here). I only know this should be on Wendesdays from about 7-8 o’clock in the evening (probably UK time) and should for the first rounds be up for an hour. If more interest it can be longer. The things were set as “come-go” thing and “learners” and “speakers” are about to “find” each-others while on hangout, open live chat and do the thingy.

The recordings on SoundCloud are for those who said they’ve done “5 Minute test” in order to get your salmon pink badge first. The test is not yet to be recorded. After you say in the topic that you’ve done it in less than 5 minutes and get your first badge, you do the same once again, this time recording the whole thing and put it on Soundcloud. You then put the link to your recording in the topic “The 5 minutes’ test - recordings” and get your red badge. You of course don’t need to record exactly the same stuff you’ve said before without recording. You can invent new sentences. The only thing you have to do is to use the same structures written in “5 minute test” in Welsh.

There are more “promotions” - from red badge to green when you record your question to which other members with green badges can put the answer. And then form green to blue when you do recording the answers to other’s questions. You put questions and answers into your own topic under category “Speaking practices” according to instructions written there.

I hope it helps.

Hwyl!
Tatjana

1 Like

Just my two cents as a beginner, I think being really prescriptive with times and format could put beginners off contributing, particularly with time zone issues, differing experience with language learning etc. Maybe it would be possible to have two formats, a fixed hang out and a list of people who are willing to be PMed and asked if they have time with their time zone and preferred call software?

1 Like

I sympathise with what you’re saying there - the thing is, this is pretty much the structure that we tried and failed with for ffrinDiaith - so this time round, it feels safer to think in terms of building up to that level of coverage (because it’s very disheartening to PM three or four people and not get a match)…

Friends—this is brilliant…

I have just been put through my paces in the most delightful way—listening to responses to my recorded questions. This is quite remarkable, because I really can understand what others are so kindly offering as answers, and feel I am experiencing the next best thing to a conversation.

When I started on this about a week ago by ‘going for pink’, little did I know that a whole new Welsh language experience was about to open up by progressing through the red and green to blue. I cannot recommend this enough to anyone wanting to immerse themselves, get over any inhibitions about trying out their Welsh, or move beyond a plateau.

By jumping in at the deep end I am finding I can swim even without water-wings, but there are plenty of lifeguards on duty, so if you have not yet checked this out, why not at least dip a toe in the water. :swimming_man:‍♂️:swimming_woman:

The weekend is coming on… just saying.

Hwyl,
Marilyn

8 Likes

:star: :star2:

Thoroughly well-deserved! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn Aran–your lovely comments and encouragement always perk me up–I feel head over heels right now :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Did anyone already tell you that you’re speaking extreamly well and clear Welsh? I admire you … So you should feel head over heels not just right now but longer than that.

3 Likes

Thank you so much Tatjana,

Coming from you, my friend and mentor, that is praise indeed. You continue to be my guardian angel and I just hope you too are feeling good about all the amazing work you do and joy you spread through the Forum.

About an hour ago, I suggested my husband put some bubbly (a nice local variety) in the fridge because we both feel we have breakthroughs to celebrate. Since we are 8-9 hours behind you, our weekend has yet to begin, but cheers! :clinking_glasses:

Hwyl,
Marilyn

3 Likes

Please can someone tell me if this hangout is supposed to still work at all now that every single one person is on Slack. I am mostly comming on at Wednesdays (not every Wednesday though), as it was once said to be, to see if someone needs someone to listen and until today no one was there but today (02.05.2018 8-8:30 pm UK time) just about 15 minutes ago, there was one member on, but the things didn’t work or I couldn’t do them to work. The result was no hangout at all and afterwards the message that @aran has left the hangout what means I obviously called every single member who didn’t leave the hangout yet already.

So, I obviously don’t quite know how these permanent hangouts work at all. Do I have to actually go to particular person’s G+ profile and call them from there?

I wanted to help as I know and presume not everyone is happy with group hangout with “famous” persons like @Novem or @Nicky who’s hangouts, I imagine, are always crowded, but obviously I’m a bit clumsy in atempting to help though.

If this is actually not supposed to run anymore then let me know and I won’t come on anymore and disturbe those who ar not about to be disturbed. .

Thx.

1 Like

My bank balance says different :smiley:

Ours are not as crowded as I think people think. Tonight I had about 7 at the highest, but it tailed down to about 5 at one point. Likewise I know Milla has a few busy nights and some where it tails off a bit.

I don’t know the history of this hangout, but there are lots of people over on welshspeakingpractice who are starting quick 1:1s etc, rather than joining the bigger chat groups etc if that is of any interest :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t want to offend you but just tried to say that your hangouts possibly are too busy (for some even 5 people is too much) to join in.

Also, the history of this hangout began quite short time ago - just two or three weeks before the things were moved to Slack.

Also I asked if this is still about to run because I know there are all people on Slack now not just with you and @Novem but for 1-1 chats aswell but I still go there from time to time just in case and today was that case which I obviously couldn’t handle properly not being able to call that person neither receive call from them.

So, no offence, @Nicky. I obviously wasn neither clear enough nor polite enough not to make you feel (at least it seams to me so) offended.

Well, maybe I shoudl stick to my own matters and not dig into those which aren’t actually my concern.

Thx for responding anyway.

Tatjana

1 Like

No, no, no - no offence at all! I was just laughing at the famous bit, because last week I had one other person turn up to my beginners session and we couldn’t get anyone else to join for love nor money :D:D:D

There are a fair few people on there who do, to be fair to them, go on at the start of every day and say “I’ll be around for a few hours today”, or “I’m going to be around at lunch time if anyone fancies a chat”. People like Bronwen I know has chatted with possibly hundreds of people this way without joining a “big hangout”.

Would love to see you over there more, if you ever fancy a 1:1 on there - give me a shout :smiley:

3 Likes

I believe this hangout was simply @louis testing the usability of google hangouts for these kinds of group chats.

I don’t think the idea of having regular “volunteer 5 minute listeners” who only listen to someone’s 5 minutes of Welsh has been taken any further - @aran can confirm this though - perhaps I’ve missed it.

1 Like

We certainly haven’t managed to get that up and running yet, although it’s very much something I’d like to revisit at some point… :slight_smile:

Thank you for your replies. So, won’t go there anymore but if I’d have a feeling to chat I’ll go to Slack instead.

3 Likes