What's outside

Yes, more on my lack of need for it now on the other thread! Meanwhile, Diolch a dyma fe:-

small and sweet!! (From a well known book!)

1 Like

Srange, isn’t it? I hadn’t used Avogadro’s number for nearly fifty years and it was still instantly recognisable but I can’t remember the new words I learned yesterday.

2 Likes

Helo.

As you know I’m home already and since I am still on holidays I’m using my time going out into the nature together with my husband as much as possible, photo camera always with me and at ready to take a photo. Here are some I’ve made in last 4 or 5 days.

A little frog in the puddle on the forest path. - Broga bach yn y chorbwll ar y llwybr coedwig.

A Butterfly - glöyn byw (sorry, I’m not knowledgable with speces)

There are really high trees in our forests … - Mae coed uchel yn ein coedwigoedd.

Wild grassfield - dôl gwyllt

Our storks grew that big now and will soon leave for Africa. (sorry, the pic is a bit blurry as I’ve took it with zoom and freehand not with statue)

A rabbit having dinner in our garden … - Mae cwningen cael cinio yn ein gardd.

Quite some ducks on the artificial lake in a village Preddvor (quite near where I live). - Rhai hwyaid ar y llyn artiffisial yn pentre Preddvor (yn eithaf agos i ble dw i’n byw).

Flowers - blodau

A swollow - wennol

Brambles from our garden. - mieri o ein gardd

Hope you’ll enjoy the photos.

Hwyl
Tatjana :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That sounds all to familiar Ray, like the logarithms i remember but don’t use.

Of course the best log rhythms are those combined with jungle drums!

@tatjana Your butterfly is a species of fritillary in English - eich glöyn byw yn rhywogaeth o fritheg yn y Saesneg.

the start to today was fairly different too yesterday - oedd y dydd 'ma dechrau braidd yn wahanol 'na ddoe.
It should start with Cute - Ciwt.
It was one of those moments when i just needed to stand still, carefully remover camera lens cover, press a couple of buttons and start filming.

Cwningen bach - little rabbit.
My cheap simple camera is perfect for these special moments, no wind to mess with the microphone, please excuse my awful Welsh grammar, as at moments like this my mind tends to forget logic and just babble.
Oedd y dydd lwcus iawn - was a very lucky day.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

David Attenborough, ond yn Gymraeg.

Link to original thread
which will show how much we have in common!

Oak leaves looking very unhappy.

I googled these pink ‘things’ on the underside of some of the leaves because I haven’t noticed them before & have been very diligent (yn ddyfal) looking for galls on my travels.
Common spangle gall. Having googled I realised I have seen them many times before but not in their pink state.
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg!

2 Likes

Just came in from mowing and found this little guy on my sleeve. Since I had spent a fair amount of time under/around our very old, large catalpa tree, I wasn’t too surprised to find that this is the caterpillar of the Catalpa Sphinx Moth, Ceratomia catalpae. Cute bugger, but he and his fellows have been stripping the leaves in one area of the catalpa tree. Hope they don’t cause too much real damage.

This is apparently what the moth looks like (photo credit below: © Patrick Coin)

http://www.discoverlife.org/IM/I_MPG/0227/320/Ceratomia_catalpae,I_MPG22793.jpg

6 Likes

Trees generally have more leaves than they really need but Catalpa can be killed by this moth. The usual rule of thumb is that it can afford to lose one leaf out of every six without any resulting harm. The danger comes from successive generations of caterpillars causing severe defoliation. This seems an odd topic for SSiW but it may matter to the tree!

2 Likes

Not sure what went wrong, but no moth picture reached my laptop! Anyone else have the same problem?

It may be your settings. Unlike the caterpillar photo, the moth photo is remotely hosted, so that may be why it doesn’t show up.

I was surprised, as I have hardly ever seen a hedgehog before. I wonder
if it’s a good or a bad sign to see them out and about in the daytime?

My hedgehog information sheet (my son bought me a hedgehog house and it came with it) says

If a hedgehog is found in daylight, this is usually a sign that something is wrong. Hedgehogs are nocturnal and do not come out during the day to lie in the sun. This behaviour is usually due to hyphothermia; the animal is using the sun to try to warm itself up. At this stage it needs help.

I guess if yours was moving ok and not ‘lying in the sun’, maybe it was fine, but the pamphlet suggests putting it in a box with a well-covered hotwater bottle and calling the British Hedgehog Preservation Society for advice.

1 Like

Soser fach y dderwen (i have two species to add for which i do not have a Welsh name), well done as ever pippa, dy ardd di’n diddorol iawn.

One i have never seen, so, many thanks.

Ray, it’s a great way to increase useful word list ( Cwympad dail - defoliation).

I have been away in Scotland.

Tren stem - steam train.

Hen car - old car.

Grug y mel - Bell heather.

Uncorn - Unicorn.

Awyren - Aeroplane.

Aderyn y to gyda cyw - House sparrow with young.

Heddiw - today.

Two views of Artichoke gall (modified Bud) below in close up i hope you can see two un-affected buds.

Silk button spangle gall.

Gwyfyn teires - Treble bar.

Ysgwydd y fedwen - Birch polypore.

Neidr y gwair - Grass snake.

Cheers J.P.

9 Likes

Whereabouts therein, John?
The old car is much newer that our first one, but like the one I first ‘owned’! (I bought it for a fiver from a lad just about to leave the country and return to India!) Having no licence, another friend,who had one, actually got to drive it most of the time as he had no patience to teach me! But double-declutching I learned quickly!!
Neidr hyrfyd!
Now, I have mentioned before cheating over our pond:

This is in yr ardd wyllt and nothing there is supposed to be a cultivar! But I love water lilies (lili’r dwr), so I cheated and planted a dwarf one! (The pond is much too small for the local lilies and the size of the pond is limited by the small amount of flat ground on our hill!)

6 Likes

Dw i’n hoffi ur neidr! Iawn.

1 Like

Uploading…
Pys Sturt, Sturt Pea. Had a fair bit of rain in recent months in the arid lands and these guys have started to appear, these are the South Australian floral emblem.

Yn ol fy ngwr (un o’r Alban) mae neidr y gwair yn anaml iawn yn yr Alban.

According to my husband, a Scotsman, grass snakes are rare in Scotland.

He also says that this particular snake is about to shed it’s skin.

No picture appeared for me!

@margaretnock We do see a lot of adders and I’m not sure I’ve seen a grass snake since I moved here, but I got so used to them on Gower, I hadn’t really noticed. I used to get very cross with my next-door neighbour on Gower because she killed snakes on sight, if I didn’t manage to rescue them. I tried to explain the difference between grass snakes (most of them) which could not hurt her Jack Russell, and adders, which stayed out of the back yard, but could!

1 Like

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen area.

Heddiw - Today.

Aeron ar draenen wen - berries on hawthorn.

Morgrugyn du yr ardd gyda’u cocoons - Black garden ants with their cocoons.

Lindys o gwyfyn siobyn - Caterpillar of the vapourer moth.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

I have never seen these before (the cocoons). We used to get swarms flying on Gower, and crawling too. If I met one, it was time to turn and run, as they got all over the dogs as well as me and the result was not pleasant! Obviously they were breeding somewhere, but I never knew where!