Are there written transcripts for each lesson?

Shwmae,

I am absolutely positive there will already be a thread for this, but I am relatively new at learning this forum and I cannot find it with a search (at least nothing beyond 2017)

Is there a written version of each lesson? I do understand that the point of this is to be able to speak Welsh, as opposed to read/write it, but my own learning style cries out for being able to do all three. Even if just the English sentences were available for me to then translate myself (using the spoken lesson to confirm) that would be a great help.

Diolch in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Dee,

If youā€™re referring to the challenges, there is no actual transcript. But if you click on ā€˜vocabulary listā€™ under each challenge, you will get a list of words and phrases in English and Welsh used in each of the challenges.

Rob.

2 Likes

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply, it is indeed transcripts rather than the vocabulary lists :slight_smile: I think I will just have to go through and do my own which isnā€™t a bad thing as it means I have to listen to them again and any practice is good! :blush:

I have transcriptions of the english sentences of challenge 25 of Level 2, and all Challenges of Level 3 - southern version.
If youā€™re interested, just let me know!

2 Likes

That would be fantastic, thank you! Iā€™m nowhere near that yet but it will definitely come in handy when I am :blush: Are you able to attach them here?

I canā€™t remember what types of files can be attached to the posts here. Anyway since it seems you donā€™t exactly need them right away, Iā€™ll check it out when Iā€™m home (next week). If you donā€™t hear from me, feel free to send me a reminder!

I would be very interested in these transcripts. Iā€™m on Level 3 challenge 8 so they would be right at my level.

Ok, after the 18th iwhen on my computer I can send them to you as well!

That would be fab. Thanks

Hello, were you able to find transcripts of level one? For me to learn easily I would really like to see what I am trying to say.
Diolch

From course guidelines (and my own experience), lessons are meant and more effective if you do them without reading.

However, when youā€™ve completed the challenge, you can find the vocabulary and many examples under each lesson (on a computer browser) and clicking on a little icon on the right on iPhone/iPad.

Or you can download them all at this link: Vocabulary from Challenges

Thank you this will be really helpful

Hi @julie-jennings,
As @gisella-albertini said, I do urge you to do the lesson first and look at the vocabulary afterwards.Then try not to let the written words affect your pronunciation. I did find the vocabulary useful, particularly for distinguishing between ā€œfā€ (v sound in English) and ā€œddā€. They sounded the same to me, but I donā€™t have a good ear for languages.
Enjoy!
Sue

Thanks Sue, I did O level Welsh years ago where everything was ā€œrydw iā€™n eisiauā€ and not ā€œdw iā€™n moynā€ and my grandmother spoke colloquial welsh to me, which was quite different to anything here :slight_smile: I have forgotten nearly everything in over 40 years, but seeing the words written down is helping me to remember. I guess everyone is different.

thank again
Julie

Hi Julie, You should be fine with the pronunciation then. My grandparents never spoke Welsh to me when we visited back in the 1950s though they both spoke it as first language. They never spoke it to their own children either because in those days they thought that it was necessary to be brought up in English in order to get on in the world. Sad!
Sue

Wow! Gisella - that would be gwych! Would you be able to send them to me too please? Iā€™ve been through all the levels and in lockdown gone through all the old courses too. Think I now need to consolidate what I know and I think going back to the end of the levels would really help.

Hello Helen, Iā€™ve just sent you a private message about it!
(if you canā€™t see it, let me know here)

I really wish there was. I would find this so helpful as sometimes thereā€™s some sentence combinations that are quite different to the few examples given. For instance Iā€™m struggling to find in a certain lesson where they cover

ā€œThe old man had betterā€¦ā€ can only find he / she had betterā€¦ examples

And

ā€œHe said that he would like toā€¦ā€ I canā€™t tell if thereā€™s a bod or an yn Iā€™m missing in the audio

:slight_smile:

It would be helpful for people wanting to quiz themselves too :slight_smile:

I have the same problem. I think its done deliberately so that we get involved in trial and error. I would not mind making small mistakes if people could understand what I am saying.

1 Like

Thereā€™s another thread on this exact point. Anyway, just search on Vocabulary.