Booking: Tresaith Bootcamp, September 19th - 26th

Just to tag @Iestyn in here so he gets an alert, and to let you know, Ken, that the family have just gone over to France, so please don’t worry if it’s a few days before Iestyn gets a chance to answer you :sunny:

1 Like

I’ve sent you an email with the basic information Ken. If there is anything else you need to know before you hear from Iestyn, just let me know. See you soon in Tresaith :smile:

2 Likes

I have just booked for the bootcamp from 19th Mis medi. My first time and looking forward to it. Any tips on what I need to bring other than a very old brain.
Conrad
21/8/15

1 Like

You’ll need bedding - sheets, pillows etc…Can’t think of anything else; except, you’ll have a great time.

2 Likes

Diolch i ti Dinas

Anyone know how to load a photo onto my profile.

At the top right of your forum screen, there is an icon. Click on this and chose “profile”.
Then click “profile preferences”.

You should then see something about profile picture and profile background.
The first one is the one that will appear with your posts.
The other one just appears in your profile.
If you click the pen/pencil icon, I think it will then give you the option to upload a picture.
Pob lwc :slight_smile:

1 Like

Detailed instructions here

Only four weeks to go until the September 19th Bootcamp! I’d love to hear from others who are going. I will be flying in from the United States, and will be staying with my Welsh relatives before and after the bootcamp. I will be near Ruthin just before the bootcamp… is there anyone who will be going from Northern Wales who I could carpool with?

I look forward to meeting Iestyn, Cat, and all the bootcampers!

Bronwyn

1 Like

Sorry Bronwyn, I am coming from the deep South (not Mississippi; Gloucester). In fact, my car has just blown a head gasket (gasced pen?) and so I would also be interested in car sharing at least part of the way. Is anyone going from the South East?
Nic

1 Like

Diolch. Good instructions. Bsad photo, Conrad

Diolch. Good instructions. Bad photo. Not yet uploaded but computer says it will soon
Conrad

If not, try to open it in one of photo editing software (paint or similar) and crop it to be square. It usually helps when photos tend to appear rounded (circled) on the forum. Those who are member of Clecs will remember the whole thingy from there when they had to crop it square to be uploaded. And, of course, no more then 10.2 (rather less) size (“weight”) of it. :slight_smile:

If you have problems, I can crop it for you, no problem.

I am going to 19th Sept. bootcamp. Thought it might be interesting to know a little about other volunteers before we get there. So. I am 76 (going on 29) male a retired accountant (not all accountants are sad and untrustworthy, that is bankers). Worked for 20 years in ports industry. Been studying Welsh for 3 years but that was 2 hours a week in class (including coffee break) for only a few weeks a term in the very short term times. Discovered SSIW and learned more there much quicker. Still not good.though. Born in Gilfach Goch a little valley next to Rhondda fawr. Now live in Neyland in Pembrokeshire. Looking forward to the week. Conrad

4 Likes

Helo, Conrad. Just the essential info then: I’m Nic(k) and I have recently changed from wrestling Dobermann’s to Whippets: they are fast but fairly defenceless compared to the Dobermann and so, in the twilight of my years, I stand a much better chance. I live near Gloucester, which probably has more Welsh speakers than Sir Fynwy (contentious iawn) and have started a monthly meeting in The England’s Glory (subversive iawn) where I attempt to converse with some fluent folk o Sir Gar whilst drinking a pint of Chwerch ecs. I do find that arol two pints I’m nearly fluent; though unfortunately not yn Gymraeg. Interestingly, we have a new member who originates from Llangadog, who only spoke Cymraeg until the age of eleven but then had it pounded out of him and now, in his sixties, he wants to get it back: he can understand it perfectly well but can’t speak it, which is the opposite of me, so between us, we can only communicate using sign language and neolithic-type grunting sounds.
I have been taken by surprise by Gwers three, since learning the short forms is effectively like another language within a language and I now realise why I haven’t been able to understand anyone so far.
I am toying with the idea of bringing a ukulele: I can’t play it (yet) but I think it adds a certain Je ne sais quoi and makes people think that I am more interesting, broad-minded and liberally opinionated than I really am; in the same way that the gratuitous use of colons and; semicolons can have: anyway; Dw i’n disgwl ymlaen i chi yn yr ganolfan; yn Mis Medi.
Hwyl,
Nic

5 Likes

I agree but I like the short form past tense. Not so happy with short form future yet but it will come.
Conrad

Hi Conrad, Nic and Bronwyn, I am joining you on 19 Sep. This is my first bootcamp and I am seriously wondering what I have let myself in for. Have been learning Welsh on and off for about 3 years and am still at the “pigeon” stage. I am travelling from Swindon so Nic, if you need a lift, we should be able to sort something out. Dot

Hi Dot! You have got through Course 1 and the vocab lessons, right? :sunny:

Hi Aran,

Yes I have done the first course and am revisiting the vocab lessons. I describe myself as “pigeon” standard (which I assume is what is causing you to be concerned) because I am not fluent in course 1 and still get stuff wrong and forget words. Is this a problem for me attending the boot camp?

Yes, it was the bit that caught my eye! No, don’t worry about perfection - we know that if you’ve done C1 and the vocabs, you have enough to survive (initially!) and then thrive during the week - it’s all about being in positions where you have to use what you’ve learnt, which you haven’t experienced yet, and it makes a huge difference. :sunny:

1 Like