SSi Forum

Bridgend (Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr) monthly meetups

I live in Fareham but my family is from Maesteg so I go and visit often. I also do parkrun (Maesteg) but would love to time it so I’m home on a Bridgend meet up weekend.

I adore Maesteg Parkrun and it’s my home park run. Would love to meet x

I was there last weekend! It’s my Welsh home parkrun (I have given myself an English and a Welsh home run!)! I’ll be doing it next on August 17th but shooting off to get the train to Cardiff for the rugby. My Mam is a regular volunteer.

Next time you are at Maesteg parkrun and Margaret Harding is a volunteer - go and speak to her in Welsh, that’s my Mam and she can speak it.

I think the meets are at 10am in Bridgend, but the group is there for a while chatting etc. There is also a meet up in Port Talbot every other Wed evening, if you look for the Port Talbot Learners thread. We’re meeting again this wed 31st at 6.30pm if you’re interested.

I’m doing Maesteg this Saturday.

Does anyone know if Aberkenfig library still host learners sessions? I see Porthcawl has coffee mornings for learners. Was looking at the monthly meetups but I can never get time off work. Tried in the past for a different group

Don’t know about aberkenfig, but would be interested to know details of both please

Every Thursday from 9:30am-12:00pm
Aberkenfig library. Another website says the first Tuesday of the month.
This is on the Awen website but not sure if it’s still going on.

Porthcawl Library – Bore Coffi for Welsh Learners every Saturday at 11am
A coffee morning for those looking to chat and develop their Welsh vocabulary in an informal environment.

Local and Family History Library at Ty’r Ardd, Bridgend
Welsh Language Discussion Group – every other Thursday 11:30am (term-time only)
For those looking to develop their Welsh and build their vocabulary and discussion skills.

I can’t find the original info I found for Kenfig and Porthcawl my phone is being useless. There is also a Welsh learners book club in Aberkenfig every Thursday term time 12-1

All info on the Awen website but not sure if it’s up to date

Thank you for this, I’ll be looking into these. Most definitely :slight_smile:

Ooh yes I’m interested too. So please let us know what you find out, I need to find places to practice!

Can I just check when the Bridgend learners meeting is? Just in case I get the time and bravery to join one day :grinning: I’m on level 1 at the moment.

I think it is the second Saturday of the month at 10?

I’ve posted Jen’s link o the port Talbot group, really good info. Bridgend meet as Gwylan says upstairs in IL Panino

I know @Mira is looking to set up a Maesteg meet up at some point.

Oh I’d be interested in the Maesteg group if it gets going!

As I’m unable to make weekend sessions anywhere and usually struggle to make the Wednesday meetings at port talbot I was thinking of doing a daytime weekday session in a cafe in town. Apparently there used to be a regular group meeting on Mondays at Cafe 21 so I was thinking of there as Jonathan has said the back room is usually available.
But if that won’t suit then an evening could be an option but only Mon/tues.

@Mira I generally can’t do a day time, except for maybe a Friday afternoon (as I can generally finish a bit earlier on a Friday)…so a Monday or Tuesday evening could work for me! I live in Bridgend so have no idea of locations in Maesteg

FYI There is a small group that meets at The Aberafon Beach Hotel on a thursday for 2.30pm to practice, too.

there is also a Bore Coffi first Sat of every month in Porthcawl Tabernacl Chapel Fenton Place 10.30 till 12